It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2003, 06:12 AM   #1

Nanabananna HB User
Post costochondritis?

Good Morning ,
I have been told by the rheumatologist on Friday, that I have this condition and that is what has been causing alot of the pain that I have been having, as well as the nausea.
I am not sure if that is the correct spelling, as I could not find any info on it..he gave me some flexeral
and said to be sure to take it every night, and that it should help, and also, ultram for pain when needed.

Thanks, Nana

Old 03-25-2003, 12:25 PM   #2

cathyk HB User
Hi Nana - I believe your spelling is right. This condition is also called Tietze's syndrome, or more commonly, slipping rib syndrome. Search on either of these to get more info from the internet. This was my very first injury years ago - I swear it felt like a heart attack until I laid down and the pain went straight to the back. The pain moves from front to back. I felt like I had to gasp for air sometimes. I think different things work for different people, but I tried meds and chiro and massage 4 times a week for a very long time, then I found out about prolotherapy, an injection technique that strengthened the surrounding ligaments, both front and back where there was pain. I know folks who just have chiropractic done and they're OK, and others who take the anti-inflammatory drugs and do OK too. Hopefully you won't have to deal with the pain long. It can occur again if you lift something too heavy or repeat how you injured it in the first place. If you're in otherwise good health you should do OK.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2003, 07:27 PM   #3

Soleil11 HB User
I have been complaining about this rib pain telling the chiro that it is almost intolerable. I say I can't get enough air to breathe and he said you are not short of breath. I said yes, throughout the day it happens with the pain. mine is from a car accident where I sustained injury at rib/sternum junction wrapping around to mid-thoracic. I am surprised to find a name for it like Tietze's syndrome. Also that there is an injection that can be done. This has been 3 yrs. since accident and I have fibromyalgia, degenerative spinal disease as well. I am going to research this info and present it to the chiro. Do they not know it has this name?? Thank you, just happened on this tonite.

Old 03-26-2003, 07:45 AM   #4

mek918 HB User
I often have that condition. Muscle relaxants and painkiller do nothing for me (they actually give me headaches). The best thing you can do is get massage. They will work on the muscles just over your chest, beneath your shoulder. It definitely helps. It's basically a problem with muscle tightness, and your ribs being "glued" together due to the muscle being so tight.

Closed Thread