It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #1
(female)

cym HB User
To Those Who Might Know About Costochondritis

Hello,

I am having a unusally bad flare of costochondritis right now but at the

same time I am having bad pain under my left shoulder blade.Can these be

related? Usually I only have the pain in my chest, I have had the pain in my

shoulder blade before but never at the same time.

Thank you,
Cym

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

kate26444 HB User
Re: To Those Who Might Know About Costochondritis

Oh I used to suffer so bad from this. In fact, it was an attack of costo that finally led to my diagnosis of fibro. I went to my regular GP thinking I was having a heart attack. After a bunch of heart tests, he told me it was costo and after a two week coarse of cortizone it finally eased up. I still get it every once in awhile if I strain or lift something I shouldn't. Pulling on something really sets it off.

Now, the left shoulder pain isn't something that happened to me. You should see your doctor, especially if the pain suddenly gets worse or turns to a jabbing pain. Any spot near your heart is something you shouldn't ignore. I'd see my doctor as soon as you can. It's better to be safe than sorry. Good luck! Kate

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
(female)

cym HB User

Thank you for your reply.
It made me remember that last night I lifted my 18 month old grand daughter when she didn't want picked up and was struggling.

I have fibro among other things.

I was diagnosed with costo when I was 20 in college and I went to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. I'm 56 now

I have gone through a battery of tests for my heart within the last three months because my blood pressure went up so high. I was told my heart is fine.

Thanks,
Cym

Old 12-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

tiredpoet HB User

I get this, pain in the back as well, and I have fibro. I was just recently told that my costo is caused by fibro but also that I have GERD, which makes it worse and contributes to the pain radiating to my back as well. My rheumy told me many people with fibro have GERD and some don't realize it because it's experienced as pain more located in the chest, similar to costo, and not really as a burning, acid feeling in the throat. Just a thougt, hope it helps!

Old 12-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
(female)

cym HB User

My shoulder blade pain is gone but my costo is much worse today.

My ENT said I have GERD.

My costo is over all tenderness to touch pain even extending up into my collar bone with a constant aching in my sternum area. Not deep near heart
just soft tissue.

Thank you for your reply,
Cym

Old 01-07-2008, 03:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Hi all how does the doc diagnose costo please? Cheers

Old 01-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

good question. i was diagnosed symptomatically. after reading here about goldenwings dealing with it, i asked my doc about the pain i was experiencing and the swelling. she said, you betcha you have it. i am unable to take anti-inflamatories which i hear help.
at last a reason/excuse to toss out that dusty old bra. giggle. years ago i quit wearing one due to the pain it caused. it really helped the pain.
deep breathing helps me. not sure why. helps with all pain. we forget to breath especially when our chest hurts.
hope you all feel better soon.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 01-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you kind lady x sometimes l have to grab the front of my bra and pull it away from my chest as it aches so much does that sound familiar?

Old 01-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

totally. lose the bra. i am not small busted and i really don't care if they bounce anymore. at my age do i care if someone notices i am not wearing one? nope. i care about my comfort and that's all.
i was a 40D so you can imagine the monster bras i had. funny, since i quit wearing one in 94 my chest is smaller. yipeeeee!!!
peace and giggles,
blue

Old 01-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

OMG LOL l couldnt go braless lm a big girl too up top lol and PEOPLE WOULD NOTICE LOL hahahahaha x

Old 01-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pardon the pun but what swelling did you notice you mentioned it earlier on would that be the bit in the middle of the rib cage where sternum is?

Old 01-07-2008, 12:03 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

thanks for the laugh. let me stop laughing first.
okay, swelling of my ribcage with lumpy tapioca bumps on rib bones. swelling of the sternum. this went around my whole chest area including my back. sometimes i get a good size lump that will last several days then suddenly just be gone.
giggle, just for fun i tried on a bra a couple of months back. 36C so we know the swelling ain't there.
still lauging,
blue

Old 01-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

oh! l thought everyone had 'lumpy tapioca bumps on rib bones' ? hmmmm l thought that was part of our womens fat/skin make up? hmmm glad l made you laugh x just clicked on healthboards link and l have all them symptoms! and its worse before my period this is what is said'

Symptoms of fibromyalgia include:

Chronic muscle pain, muscle spasms or tightness, and leg cramps (yes l get terrible muscle spasms esp in back upper area shoulders and back of neck)
Moderate or severe fatigue and decreased energy (who woke me up?)
Insomnia or waking up feeling just as tired as when you went to sleep (who put the clock forward?)
Stiffness upon waking or after staying in one position for too long (yes defo!! l wake up and cannot move some mornings for the pain and stiffness)
Difficulty remembering, concentrating, and performing simple mental tasks 9who said that?)
Abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, and constipation alternating with diarrhea (irritable bowel syndrome) (yep having stomach probs again)
Tension or migraine headaches (bad headaches anythign up to 10 days before period)
Jaw and facial tenderness(hmm lm abit out on that one l always blame my teeth)
Sensitivity to one or more of the following: odors, noise, bright lights, medications, certain foods, and cold (yes esp lights and noise medications)
Feeling anxious or depressed (yes get them too)
Numbness or tingling in the face, arms, hands, legs, or feet (yes in face and legs oh and hands esp when using them))
Increase in urinary urgency or frequency (irritable bladder) (yes defo)
Reduced tolerance for exercise and muscle pain after exercise (defo again l am so weak)
A feeling of swelling (without actual swelling) in the hands and feet(yes hands will feel tight )
Painful menstrual periods (yea hate them )
Dizziness (feeling off balance yes)
Symptoms may intensify depending on the time of day -- morning, late afternoon, and evening tend to be the worst times, while 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. tends to be the best time. They may also get worse with fatigue, tension, inactivity, changes in the weather, cold or drafty conditions, overexertion, hormonal fluctuations (such as just before your period or during menopause), stress, depression, or other emotional factors.

Thing is l have thyroid issues too and l realise sym,ptoms are almost identical oh well........

Last edited by niecsey; 01-07-2008 at 12:11 PM.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

i have thyroid stuff too. never say oh well. be a pest. after all this is your body. sorry you still have a period. whew, not me. had all that "no longer needed" stuff removed 23 years ago.
time for me to fly off to a bit of work. will catch up with you later. feels like i am following you around today. giggle.
cheers old girl,
blue

Old 01-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Closed Thread