It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
(female)

pixietwin HB User
Does this seem like costochondritis

Sunday night at 2:30 am I woke up with what I thought was horrible gas trapped in my upper GI (I had eaten a huge tub of movie popcorn on Saturday afternoon which made me sick - and I made myself throw up (tried 7 times in one sitting because I was hoping to get that rich stuff off my stomach because I felt yucky) So I thought that this discomfort below my breast line was trapped gas. I had three Phazyme pills and two rolaids. Got to sleep but then woke up at 4 with it back again. It was painful and constant..like a gnawing pressure/moderate discomfort.

Of course, I became alarmed when it didn't change - constant. Woke my husband up and we were both concerned but thought it was just bad gas. I went to my chiropractor at 10 that morning and she did my regular adjustment but also used her clicker along the sternum/ribcage. This made it worse but that area was tender to begin with and she said it sounded like I caused trauma with the throwing up - made sense. The whole time in the car for the hour drive I was in pain...couldn't get comfortable. Any pressure on my back from sitting or laying down hurt more. By 1 p.m. I had to go see the local doc to get a pain pill. I described it and she said it was costochondritis. Now, my blood pressure was 150/90 which is high and my pulse was 123- I have big time white coat syndrome. I had been in pain for almost 12 hours, how could I not be stressed? She gave me Celebrex and Tramadol (which hardly helped at all). The Tramadol seemed to take an hour to kick in and gave a small amount of relief for an hour or less. I also took a muscle relaxer which helped some. At no time yesterday did I get 100% pain free.

Went to bed at 10 and slept for 12 hours thanks to the muscle relaxer. Woke up this a.m. with no pain at all. Is this typical that costochondritis can sometimes last a day (in my case 18 hours?). Doc assured me it was not a heart attack - I did not sweat, run temperature, want to throw up or feel the pain move. It was constant gnawing hurt for 18 hours.

It was the worst feeling I've ever had. Is that costochondritis? Came and went in less than a day?>

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lindaru HB User
Re: Does this seem like costochondritis

I have a friend who had costochondritis. His would come and go, and then come back.

What you described sounds a lot like a digestive problem to me given that I have recently gone through something similar that lasted almost two full days.

I did not know I was allergic to cranberry juice until I drank some. I had severe stomach, esophageal and chest pains from that. Stupid me. Took a Tums. Did not work. Took another. Discovered cranberry juice acid and alkaline *do not mix*. I was burping foamy stuff all evening and then had severe diarrhea.

Everything went away the next morning except the chest pain. I felt like I had pulled every internal organ around my rib cage. It finally went away by the next night but it was awful. Have never had a heart attack but wondered if I was having one. If it were not for the other things (stinging swollen glands and burning tongue), I would have been calling 911.

Keep a watch on it. If it does not come back, it probably was from throwing up the popcorn. If it does, it might be costochondritis. My friend said that sometimes that would affect his ability to take a deep breath.

Let us know how it goes!

Lindaru

Old 08-27-2008, 05:22 AM   #3
(female)

KDD 26 HB User

If it comes back try pressing on the left side of your sternum, above the left breast, and to the left side of the breast under your arm. That should create the pain that you are feeling. That is how I know that my costochondritis is acting up.

My pain usually only lasts for a few minutes at a time and then goes away for awhile. It is usually a sharp, stabbing pain.

KDD

Old 08-27-2008, 08:23 AM   #4
(female)

pixietwin HB User

I guess I was worried that it was really a heart attack or heart related but the doctor didn't catch it. You hear about thing kind of thing happening to women. I had no other symptoms and I have read that women don't have the typical ones that men have, some have no chest pain at all but are having a heart attack etc. I was just shocked at the sudden discomfort and soreness. The fact that it was totally constant for 18 hours! Not intermittant. I guess if it was a heart attack, the pain would not have lasted for 18 hours???? I can't find anything on google about the length of time of a heart attack or if costochondritis can go away in a day - most say that it can lasts for days, weeks or months. Nothing about 18-24 hours only. This is why I am still worried. However, it has not returned, so that is good. Doc also put me on 12 days of prednisone but I am diabetic and it's made my BS soar and heart rate stay around the 110 range. I think I'll take it for 5 days only because I'm worried about being on it for 12. Last time I was given prednisone, they said 5 days was all I should take a steriod since I'm diabetic.

So, my last question is if it was a heart thing, would it have lasted 18 hours at a constant gnawing ache in the same position or does it really seem to be costo or the worst gas ever! I've never heard of gas lasting 18 hours. I don't think it was bad popcorn. I didn't have to throw up but felt so yucky that I made myself. I'll never do that ever ever again!

Old 08-29-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
(female)

BECKYJ263 HB User

costochronditis feels like a your heart is going to jump out of your skin but actually the pain is in our breastbone due to inflammation- my pain was in my left side and the pain went from there to my left shoulder blade and remained there for days until i went to the doctors and got some medicine- to take calm down the inflammation- it comes and goes and there is no reason why?

Old 08-30-2008, 07:59 AM   #6
(female)

pixietwin HB User

So Becky, you said you had pain for days. Was it totally constant without relief as mine was. The prescription pain pill had little effect until I added an Extra Strength Tylenol. the muscle relaxer was a life saver. Really had about 20 hours of this pain and *poof* it was gone the next day after I loaded up on a pain killer/anti inflammatory/muscle relaxer cocktail. This all happened Monday and after I slept Monday night, it was totally gone as of Tuesday. I've had no sensations or pain since then..weird eh?

Last edited by pixietwin; 08-30-2008 at 08:00 AM.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #7
(female)

KDD 26 HB User

I wouldn't say weird because when I had it I pretty much had the same thing. I had pain for days and then, like you said, "poof" it was gone.

KDD

Closed Thread