It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User
does anyone have Costochondritis FMS

Does anyone have Costochondritis FMS. Last year I had sharp chest pains. i thought I was having a heart attack. I thought It was due to me having a panic attack. I read up on this it seems to be a FMS. It's so hard to know what is a Anxiety symptom what what is a Fibro one. Today I have had heavy breathing. they say people with Fibro take short breaths. All this is so confusing.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User
Re: does anyone have Costochondritis FMS

I get that costro pain too. Thats how I found out I had Fibro.

I have had muskularskeletal issues for a few years including this sharp chest pain and yes I too would think I was having a hart attack. The first time this happened I was told it was the muskularskeletal thing. This chest pain would happen once , tops twice a year. No biggie. Then last Aug it happened again, and saw the doc, again muskularskeletal...ok it went away in about 2 weeks as ususal...then in Nov. it happened again, this time even more severe then the last. I didnt go to the doc cause I figured I new what it was and it will go away..well it didnt and I started gettiung real bad by late Dec and ended up in the ER. Everything checked out ok except for hart palps whic I already new I had. Went back to my GP and she went over everything with me for like almost 2 hours !! She said Fibromyalgia....

Its not fun...I still gert the costro thing, in a flare right now so I feel like crap !!!

I hope you feel better soon !!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBunny89 View Post
Does anyone have Costochondritis FMS. Last year I had sharp chest pains. i thought I was having a heart attack. I thought It was due to me having a panic attack. I read up on this it seems to be a FMS. It's so hard to know what is a Anxiety symptom what what is a Fibro one. Today I have had heavy breathing. they say people with Fibro take short breaths. All this is so confusing.
No, don't think so.

I have no trouble differentiating the difference. My fibromyalgia brings on muscular pain. The anxiety when causing panic attacks can bring on fast heart rate, worrying too much over something, breathing too fast (hyperventilation). When I hyperventilate, it also makes me numb as it is occuring.

I have had fibro oh 8 1/2 yrs I guess. I was never one to take short breaths all the time.

Now I can barely move without getting short of breath and have started spitting up mucus after exercising. Recent problems only. I have been smoking cigarettes for 21 years. My last xray showed scarring on my left lung base & I really don't even know what that meant but I'm sure my lungs aren't the happiest with me smoking 2-3 packs of cigarettes a day. I also have trouble taking in a deep breath through my nose and then holding it, mostly at rest but it happens when I'm sitting up too. It's like my airway is getting blocked.

I don't think heavy breathing/shortness of breath is a normal symptom of FMS. And unless you are hyperventilating from an anxiety attack, I would talk to the dr about it.

Now if it is anxiety related, you can lay down on your side and slowly sip on some water, to try and calm it down.

I do get the tightness in my chest (it's spasmic) and well sometimes I feel like I'm having a heart attack but that's my reflux flaring up.

Last edited by neveragain444; 05-15-2009 at 06:02 PM.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB UserSnowBunny89 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveragain444 View Post
No, don't think so.

I have no trouble differentiating the difference. My fibromyalgia brings on muscular pain. The anxiety when causing panic attacks can bring on fast heart rate, worrying too much over something, breathing too fast (hyperventilation). When I hyperventilate, it also makes me numb as it is occuring.

I have had fibro oh 8 1/2 yrs I guess. I was never one to take short breaths all the time.

Now I can barely move without getting short of breath and have started spitting up mucus after exercising. Recent problems only. I have been smoking cigarettes for 21 years. My last xray showed scarring on my left lung base & I really don't even know what that meant but I'm sure my lungs aren't the happiest with me smoking 2-3 packs of cigarettes a day. I also have trouble taking in a deep breath through my nose and then holding it, mostly at rest but it happens when I'm sitting up too. It's like my airway is getting blocked.

I don't think heavy breathing/shortness of breath is a normal symptom of FMS. And unless you are hyperventilating from an anxiety attack, I would talk to the dr about it.

Now if it is anxiety related, you can lay down on your side and slowly sip on some water, to try and calm it down.

I do get the tightness in my chest (it's spasmic) and well sometimes I feel like I'm having a heart attack but that's my reflux flaring up.
it did say shortness of breath was a fibro thing there's so much about the breathing. I get this way when I'm over tired. Or I wake up an a anxiety attack dizzy, sweating, nightmares, etc. I feel better today and i slept 10 hours.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

Well even if it is the fibro causing the shortness of breath, shortness of breath can indicate a serious health problem

such as:
emphysema
asthma
chronic bronchitis
phemonia
heart disease
COPD

And I'd be willing to bet that exercise induced shortness of breath would be caused by obesity.

If the Fibro/fatigue plays a part in this, it would probably be due to the fact that you cannot tolerate exercise, and you are just seriously out of shape due to where you've been so tired.

A stress test could tell the reason behind why your having SOB.

I have also been seriously out of shape for sometime now, years, and the SOB did not start occuring until recently. You should make sure it's nothing serious, and don't argue with me, it won't do any good!

Well I don't know why yours is occuring, but I can usually avoid nightmares if I don't watch scary movies prior to bedtime, well at all, for all that matters, whatever is in your thoughts throughout the day usually manifests into your dreams one way or the other. OMG, and don't ever get drunk & watch a scary movie & go to bed, every little sound will scare the living daylights out of you.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

I think I have or had it. A couple of years ago when my Fibro flared, I did not know what I had, but I was short of breath, and I had a hard time swallowing while eating. I was put through physical therapy and they showed me very good chest and upper body exercises and I don't seem to have much problem, but I have to be consistent in doing them.

Closed Thread