It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
(female)

Stabevrian HB User
Has anyone been diagnosed with costochondritis?

Did you get more than one opinion? What tests did they do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
(female)

KD86 HB User
Re: Has anyone been diagnosed with costochondritis?

I was diagnosed with costochondritis about 3 years ago. My primary doctor diagnosed it and that is the diagnosis that I went with. After describing my symptoms to her she started pressing around the areas of my chest where I said it hurt. When she would press the pain I was feeling would be recreated. That is what led her to believe that it was costochondritis. She sent me to get an x-ray just to make sure that it wasn't anything else.

Any questions let me know...I would be happy to help

KD

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2010, 06:31 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Hi,
I was diagnosed with costochondritis a long time ago. I would get it for nothing sometimes, other times lifting my babies up would put me into agony. You can feel your chest tender to the touch sometimes like it is on fire when it gets really bad.
I think it was x-rays also. It is muscles pulling away from the sternum they say.
Hope that helps!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
(female)

nixxie HB User

i have been suffering with costo for about 4 years now and only just been diagnosed. I am on anti-inflamatory drugs for the time being while i await for tests to see how bad it is. you can go on anti-inflamatory drugs to ease the pain and they say it should go within 6-8 weeks. or alternatly you can have injections of cortisone instead.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
(female)

nixxie HB User

i have only been recently diagnosed with costo but have been suffering with it for 4 years (at least) how, if at all do they make it go away completely!?
:-)

Old 04-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
(female)

cotton1714 HB User

I have had costos for about 10 years.
For me it started as a back ache. Went to orthopedics - they did an xray and I was so relieved to be told I had costochronditits (even though I had no idea what that was) I was worried I had back trouble and that can just go on and on. I was given a cordisone shot. Pain did not totally go away but it wasn't bad.
I stated noticing that it would get worse during the week - never on weekend so I paid attention to what I was doing at work. Tracked it down to being on rolling chairs and carpet. Got a plastic mat to go on the carpet and things have been so much better.
The spells I tend to have now are what is usually described as sharp pain in the chest. They only last 5 minutes or so.
When I sleep on my back I have a wieghted (with rice) pillow that I let rest on my rib cag - it makes it feel better
Glad to discuss more about it.
Also read that cutting down on caffeine helps - I am down to 1 coke in the morning.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
(female)

Steffanie HB User
Question Re: Has anyone been diagnosed with costochondritis?

I have previously been dx with costochondritis a few years ago, but the pain was in my chest. For the past 3 weeks, I've had similar pain, but it's on my left side, down at the end of my ribcage. I just had a CT Scan to make sure it wasn't my spleen or bowels, but it came back unremarkable. So, I'm thinking is costochondritis, just in a different area. Does that sound familiar to you all?

Old 04-15-2011, 06:59 AM   #8
(female)

cotton1714 HB User

mine is on the right but it is at the bottom of the ribcage

Old 04-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
(female)

Steffanie HB User

Yep, CT was clear, so it was determined that my costochondritis was back!! Ugh, but in the scheme of things, at least I know what's going on. Thanks for your reply.
Steff

Old 04-18-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton1714 View Post
mine is on the right but it is at the bottom of the ribcage
It can only happen where the ribs join the breastbone.
James

Old 05-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
(female)

gossamerfairy HB User

I was diagnosed with costochondritis a few weeks ago. I was experiencing chest pain mostly on the left side; pain that was worsened when taking a deep breath (as a result my breathing was shallow, i guess as an automatic response to the pain when breathing normally) and pain that spread to my back and up the left side of my neck. It hurt worse when I would move around a lot, and would really hurt to bend over. But if i was stationary, I could feel it only when taking a deep breath or if i was sitting in certain positions. It also hurt worse when I would lie flat. I have had in the past a condition called spontaneous pneumothorax, which was, in my case, a 10 % collapse of the left lung. It happened a few times but has not happened in a while. So when I started having these new chest pains, I figured it was spontaneous neumothorax, so I went to the doctor for an x-ray to confirm. This time there was nothing wrong with my lung and the x-ray didn't show any other abnormalities. They did an EKG just to make sure it wasn't a condition with my heart. EKG was clean. So my doctor pressed on my chest and it was a little tender, so he then suspected it was costochondritis, and gave me a steroid shot and sent me home with steriod pills and anti-inflammatory medicine. These medications did not do much to make me feel better, but I took them and the pain was gone after another week.
Now the pain is back. Same pain as before. Except now there's this gurgling or fluttering in the left center of my chest when I bend over or have my legs pulled up in a chair. Feels sort of like air or fluid being pushed around as my position changes. And if I go to bend over, straightening up is painful, like something is being pulled on when lifting myself back up to standing position.
Anyone ever had this happen? Or do you think I should go back to the doctor and see if its possible something else?

Old 05-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamerfairy View Post
I was diagnosed with costochondritis a few weeks ago. I was experiencing chest pain mostly on the left side; pain that was worsened when taking a deep breath (as a result my breathing was shallow, i guess as an automatic response to the pain when breathing normally) and pain that spread to my back and up the left side of my neck. It hurt worse when I would move around a lot, and would really hurt to bend over. But if i was stationary, I could feel it only when taking a deep breath or if i was sitting in certain positions. It also hurt worse when I would lie flat. I have had in the past a condition called spontaneous pneumothorax, which was, in my case, a 10 % collapse of the left lung. It happened a few times but has not happened in a while. So when I started having these new chest pains, I figured it was spontaneous neumothorax, so I went to the doctor for an x-ray to confirm. This time there was nothing wrong with my lung and the x-ray didn't show any other abnormalities. They did an EKG just to make sure it wasn't a condition with my heart. EKG was clean. So my doctor pressed on my chest and it was a little tender, so he then suspected it was costochondritis, and gave me a steroid shot and sent me home with steriod pills and anti-inflammatory medicine. These medications did not do much to make me feel better, but I took them and the pain was gone after another week.
Now the pain is back. Same pain as before. Except now there's this gurgling or fluttering in the left center of my chest when I bend over or have my legs pulled up in a chair. Feels sort of like air or fluid being pushed around as my position changes. And if I go to bend over, straightening up is painful, like something is being pulled on when lifting myself back up to standing position.
Anyone ever had this happen? Or do you think I should go back to the doctor and see if its possible something else?
Costochondritis gives you pain where the ribs join the breast bone. If the area is swollen it is called Tietze syndrome. It comes for no known cause and interestingly it is commoner on the left side of the chest. It is possible your chest pain is being referred back, or even spinal pain is the cause and it is coming forward. Your doc did the right thing because many heart attacks emulate costal rib conditions like . What the fluid feeling is is beyond my knowledge. The only fluid in that area is your alimentary tract. Something to note is that pneuthorax episodes once you have one tend to rerecur. Get your doc to have a look at your thoracic spine if your condition does not settle.
James

The Following User Says Thank You to james079 For This Useful Post:
gossamerfairy (05-03-2011)
Old 05-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #13
(female)

Steffanie HB User

I would definitely see the doctor. I think people with chronic pain, auto-immune, chronic fatigue get used to all the aches and pains and tend to 'ride it out' and not see doctors for every new symptom. However, we do ourselves a disservice and could potentially end up with a serious problem. Can't hurt, might help....that's my motto:-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Steffanie For This Useful Post:
gossamerfairy (05-03-2011)
Old 05-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #14
(female)

Lisaxo HB User

I have been diagnosed with costo in feburary, I am a 21 year old who was at school and I started having chest pains during class. I left and immediately went to the ER. They gave me an ECG, blood tests, x-rays and examined. I was clear and diagnosed me with costo. I have been on naproxen and it still hurts.. And it's may now.. I also do have anxiety which makes everything worse. Now my question is does anyone have bruising on their breasts? Yesterday I noticed bruising on the insides on my breasts... Which is worrying me, I do press down on my chest a lot and sternum. Do you think that could be it? It's brownish/yellow colour and hurts to touch.. Should I be worried?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaxo View Post
I have been diagnosed with costo in feburary, I am a 21 year old who was at school and I started having chest pains during class. I left and immediately went to the ER. They gave me an ECG, blood tests, x-rays and examined. I was clear and diagnosed me with costo. I have been on naproxen and it still hurts.. And it's may now.. I also do have anxiety which makes everything worse. Now my question is does anyone have bruising on their breasts? Yesterday I noticed bruising on the insides on my breasts... Which is worrying me, I do press down on my chest a lot and sternum. Do you think that could be it? It's brownish/yellow colour and hurts to touch.. Should I be worried?
You sound like you have costochondritis and Tietze syndrome. Look back two posts. The breasts sit on top of the pectoralis major muscle which originate on the sternum and the cartilagenous rib connection where the condition is. With Tietze inflammation occurs and that may account for the discolouration on the inner sides of your breasts. Anxious folk tend to feel pain more I would think. Perhaps pain patches may help, also no heavy upper limb workouts and no prodding. Some people have this condition for weeks and some for months.
James

Closed Thread