It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2003, 07:01 PM   #1

Lois HB User
Post costochondritis--chest pain

Hello again.
Does anyone have any tips for dealing with costochondritis (chest pain due to inflammation of the cartilage in the chest)?
I've had intense pain since Wednesday. I haven't been able to sleep since it started. Oxycontin has no effect what so ever. I researched on the web and apparently this disease doesn't usually respond well to pain medications.
I've tried ice, heat and both. nothing seems to help. I have a doctor apointment on Monday but if I can get no relief soon I'll have to go to the emergency room and I dread that.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 08-24-2003, 02:12 AM   #2
Veteran

HockeyCrystal HB User
I've had this conditions a few times. All I was ever told to do is try anti-inflammatories.. I don't know if this is an option for you, but ibuprofen's helped me out then... I am not supposed to take many nsaid's anymore, but every once in a while when I feel the chondritis coming on, I take an ibuprofen 800 even if it hurts my stomach, because I can deal with the stomach pain more than the chest pain. I know how horrible this feels, and I wish I could give you a better solution for this, but I don't know what else could help if the ice and heat aren't working. And the ribs are hard to reach with heat and/or ice. So sorry sweetie... If you can't take nsaid's I hope you get some answers soon.. But this is all I can think of to help, because that's all I've ever been told... And I guess it makes sense... It's inflamed cartilage, and anti-inflammatories help inflammation, soooo.... I guess that's why it helped me. Good luck hun!

And so sorry I couldn't help more!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif
Crystal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread