It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
(female)

HopefulDoll HB User
Can it be cured completely?

Hi everyone,

Due to a strenuous exercise class I ended up with costochondritis. This is the most severe pain I have ever experienced and I know pain because I have Fibromyalgia, Hiatial hernia and some other stuff.

Because of the costo I can't do any moving of my upper body or I will end up with severe pain in my chest area and of course I have anxiety really bad since the first costo attack as I thought it was a heart attack.

This all began almost 5 years ago and I received no treatment at the time (my regular doc was away) Since this has now been causing me such pain and limited movement is there any chance it will ever be healed?

Has anyone here recovered from severe costo after suffering for several years?

Thanks,
Hopeful

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
(female)

mcnana HB User
Re: Can it be cured completely?

Hi Hopeful!
I just wanted you to know that I was diagnosed with costo over ten years ago and for me I did finally find relief. It took a good 3 years and diligent work on my part to not let that area get inflamed again but I can actually wear pants with a waistband and lay on the floor which is something I couldn't do for over 3 years. I suffered an injury at work on my right lower rib cage and didn't realize that was what caused the costo until after I quit my job. I actually went to a surgeon thinking it was my gallbladder but he was the one that confirmed it was costochondritis. I was on round the clock motron three times a day no matter how I felt for over a year and then I took it off and on till all the tenderness was completely gone.

Are you taking any thing for it? I still will get tender if I over do that area of my ribs but I have never experienced the severity of what I had been like ten years ago. I also 'guard' that area and baby it at the first sign of any tenderness so I think that is what has helped the most.

Hope you find relief soon and hang in there as it did get better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
(female)

HopefulDoll HB User

Thanks mcnana.
Nice to hear some positive story about costo.

I take anti- inflammatory tablets and use gel when it gets really bad. I just hate the way I'm so limited in everything I do. Can't lift or pull anything, cant raise my arms above my head, I cant even lie comfortably on my side in bed anymore. I used to be so active and I love to dance but cant now.
I know exactly what you mean about 'guarding' yourself!

Did you do any kind of exercises/physio for your costo?
Hopeful

Old 10-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
(female)

Misssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB User

I just read that this goes away in a few days.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cathy1 HB Usercathy1 HB User

I too have this but not as severe as you do The best thing is to find a person that does Trigger Point Therapy. It helped me alot.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
(female)

Frankie786 HB User

Hi- I understand your pain. I have it constantly through the chest into my shoulders. It is like a heavy weight pressing. I have been to cardio and he said it is not heart related. Had a few tests. Went to rheumo and he gave me two lidocaine shots in breast bone which did not help. I have had it almost constantly for 1-1/2yrs and I keep thinking I am having angina. I hope it goes away. Is yours constant? Do you feel a heaviness all the time?

Old 11-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
(female)

JHmommy HB User

I have it too, it started last summer, right after getting remarried, nice way to spend a honeymoon, thankfully my husband has really great insurance. It started out of the blue, I wasn't able to breath, I felt like I was drowning and like I was having a heart attack. I went to the emergency room numerous times and was told my pulse ox and my bp were fine. I tried going to a pulmonologist, an allergist, my internist who sent me finally to a physologist, she diagnosed me with costocondrities, and started giving me epidural injections into my sternum. They hurt like HELL. After a few times with the shots, strong meds and wearing medicine patches it went away, but not completely. The breathing was still a problem, I started taking prozac for the breathing for anxiety and it worked although to this day, I still have the breathing issues. Recently, I having pains, which I thought was a gall bladder problem, so I had a sonogram done and it was nothing. Then I went to my chiropracter who helped me and massaged the area, telling me it is my ribs and reminding me that was I was a college student he treated me for this when my rib popped out and then back it. I got that from lifting a heavy disabled child when I was doing an internship, I was only in my late teens. Seems like that's where this stems from and I wish it would go away for good. I dont think anything really cures it, it just has to run its course.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #8
(female)

patricia218 HB User

Now I know what I've been suffering from all these months. The doctor gave me prescription strength ibuprofen and told me not to do a lot of action with my arms. I had forgotten that until my pain had gotten worse and I realized I had been using my arms. Actually, it's my left side that's affected. When I first got the pain, I thought I was having a heart attack. It was very scary because I have angina and I had an aneurysm just below the rib cage in the aorta. But the pain wasn't the same. It's been about six weeks now since I saw the doctor. I've had x-rays which showed nothing. I used a heating pad on my back until I realized it was making it worse. I switched to an ice pad and that helped. The pain radiated from my back to my chest near my left breast. I used heat for that and it helps. I saw an exercise which I haven't tried yet but will. I've read in these boards that this takes a long time to go away and may come back, so I'll have to be careful not to do too much from now on. Hope this helps someone. Hope you all have a happy, healthy new year... without coscochronditis.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-12-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites

Closed Thread