It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
(female)

Smiler18 HB User
Costochondritis Pain Relief...

I have been suffering with pain in my chest/ribs constantly for over a year now. After numerous trips to my GP and rheumatologist at my local hospital, I was diagnosed with costochondritis.

Advice from my doc was "live with the pain, there is nothing we can do" so, at the moment, I am taking no pain relief (I haven't been prescribed any) but the pain is getting unbearable to the point I cannot move (even in pain sitting still!) or sleep at night as I cannot get comfortable in any position.

What do you find relieves your pain? Any ideas will be much appreciated!

Thanks for reading,

Best Wishes

Old 01-04-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
(female)

patricia218 HB User
Re: Costochondritis Pain Relief...

You have my sympathy. I know the pain. My doctor prescribed a prescription ibuprofen. Even taking that I still have pain, but it's getting better. I also use a heating pad for my chest, and that seems to ease the pain.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-12-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
(female)

xrebelangelx99 HB User

I was prescribed to take 4 ibuprofen a day for a month. This worked for about 2 weeks until I started getting stomach pains from the ibuprofen, and I think I became used to the painkillers because the pain in my ribs returned. Eurgh I hate nights because laying in bed is so uncomfortable, even when I don't necessarily have pain, it just feels weird and as though the left side of my chest is sticking out =(

Old 02-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Hi lve had it for years everythign l read says it goes after a few months well l found it dont!!! Everything l do eg. using hands arms sets it off the cold weather sets it off l can only be incertain positions l hate it so much! I have some diclofenac but try and just make do with paracetemol dont liek stomach irriitaed plus l got lansoprazole to help with stomach issues but l find they too come with side effects. Good luck all x

Old 02-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
(female)

smacwhirter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiler18 View Post
I have been suffering with pain in my chest/ribs constantly for over a year now. After numerous trips to my GP and rheumatologist at my local hospital, I was diagnosed with costochondritis.

Advice from my doc was "live with the pain, there is nothing we can do" so, at the moment, I am taking no pain relief (I haven't been prescribed any) but the pain is getting unbearable to the point I cannot move (even in pain sitting still!) or sleep at night as I cannot get comfortable in any position.

Thanks for reading,

Best Wishes
When advil won't stop the pain I take one celebrex (prescription) and it's gone! Sometimes for long periods of time.

The Following User Says Thank You to smacwhirter For This Useful Post:
Mareluvcats (10-10-2012)
Old 05-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
(female)

babydoll233 HB Userbabydoll233 HB User

My doctor prescribed 15mgs of meloxicam, generic Mobic. I works wonders, it works in a few days, i have had 3 flare ups and it really helps, such pain, I am so sorry you are in pain. I use a heating pad too, most of my pain radiates to the upper middle back area, its horrible. Take care

Old 07-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
(male)

Squeakybrain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiler18 View Post

Thanks for reading,

Best Wishes

Hi, ask your doctor for Capsaicin cream (prescription only). A pea sized amount rubbed all over the area of the chest above the pain (avoid the nipple and other 'sensitive' areas, as the creams active ingredient is the Capsaicin found in chili peppers). Use it twice a day and although you may not notice any improvement for the first couple of weeks, except when lying on your stomach (it'll feel like you're lying on a radiator). It will ease the pain, though you may still feel severe attacks.
I have been suffering Costochondritis for 15 years now and this seems to have relieved the majority of the pain.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

I think soe of us have it that bad creams wont help basically lve been left to ge ton with mine if l think on first attack which was no where near as bad a s l get now was about 2000........... l get it that bad now it goes into my neck, using my arms for even a small lift of weight carrying shopping etc etc triggers mine off its horrible and l wish those docs would have a bad flare up and see what they say then! It restricts me! x

Old 07-20-2012, 03:05 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I like Naproxen (OTC) for antiinflammatory relief. I think it works better than Ibuprofen and is only twice a day. The OTC dose is 220 mg twice a day. It comes in prescription strength of 500mg twice a day. Heating pad works well too.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:05 AM   #10
(male)

joelito HB User

This is a suggestion that may help people who have chest pains that are NOT caused by heart problems.

I had a condition felt like costochondritis for 2 years. It was very scary and painful, and affected my life dramatically. It took that long to figure out that most of my chest and rib pains were actually caused by tense muscles in my back; this caused referred pain to my chest and ribs; weird, I know. Anyhow, if anyone wants to try simple, cheap, and non-medicinal remedies to re-occurring chest pains, here is what I would recommend: (1) get a back massage by a registered massage therapist and/or (2) use a tennis ball against the floor OR the Theracane to massage you own muscle knots in your back. These days, when I feel a sharp chest pain, I can massage it away by working on back-muscle knots in about 3-5 minutes.

Good luck, and I hope my experience can help someone.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-09-2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Old 12-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
(male)

bsmith821 HB User
Wink Costochondritis Pain Relief...

I have had heart issues for 15 years including a quintruple bypass back in 1995 and several angioplasties since then.

The operation created Costochondritis. So right now excessive lifting (suitcases going on holiday etc) triggers severe chest pain. All along the bottom of my ribs and less pain (centre back). Just recently my latest flare up is very painful and occurs when I watch TV in my comfee Lazee Boy chair. After a life time at my PC my posture is poor.

I visited a fine Physiotherapist in Victoria BC (Brent Hall). He confirmed the condition and prescribed a breathing exercise to use the diaphragm. Any Yoga site will show this. I will report back in a few months if it has helped reduce the pain.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-02-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
(female)

jpask HB User

Unfortunately my doctor didn't prescribe anything for pain relief, only methylprednisolone for an anti-inflammatory which doesn't work as well as it probably should...
When I flare, I flare BADLY. The pain is excruciating and any kind of anti-inflammatory takes longer than a day to kick in and help the slightest bit, so living with that kind of pain for even a day is torture. I think I'm going to seek a second opinion soon and see if they can give me anything for pain that I can take as needed. I was basically told to just suck it up...I'm going to take a guess and say my doctor has never felt the type of pain that can come with a bad costo flare.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:03 AM   #13
(male)

NewdestinyX HB UserNewdestinyX HB User

Merry Christmas everyone! Costo is a real pain and incurable medically speaking - but - it's really just a chronic muscle pain kinda like tendinitis and other 'itus'-es. The same remedies for muscle aches help my costo: rubbing the affected area, heat, NSaid pain relievers, chiropractic, massage, glucosamine/chondroitin, etc.. Muscles tie up both from overuse AND underuse. I found that doing Tai Chi has been an amazing help to keep those muscles active and relatively pain free. There's a class in your area.

I've lived with it for 5 years now and I well know the pain you're talking about - believe me. But between regular chiropractor visits (twice a month for maintenance), my Tai Chi that I practice daily and ibuprofen - I rarely have bad flares anymore. With any chronic muscle inflammation disorder you need to be proactive in keeping it at bay. A sedentary lifestyle is your worst enemy with costo. I know it's counterintuitive to 'exercise' muscles that hurt. But that's part of what you must do. Gently - but daily. Don't overdo - don't under-do...
Meds: 6iu Lantus/day; Very little Novalog with meals
Diet: LowER carb 70-100g carbs a day
Exercise: 8-12 miles cycling 3-5x/week

Last edited by NewdestinyX; 12-25-2012 at 05:11 AM.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #14
(female)

fleaty1 HB User

I have had costo for 2 years and I havnt had a single pain free day I can honestly say its the most painful thing I have ever experienced. the gp says nothing can be done except rest and pain management well rest isn't an option as im full time carer for a wheelchair bound parent. im on high dose naproxen lansaprosol and tramadol a cry in pain most days I can hardly use my left arm at all not good for wheel chair pushing. and I would say 50% of the time I cant drive I cant do my own shopping and I cant even empty mums commode as needs 2 hands.this is a ridiculous life. I regularly have to abandon days out with partner coz pain got to bad. Sleep what is that I cant remember. there must be more to life than this and if anyone knows of a miracle cure please let me know has anyone had the injections and do they work

Old 10-09-2013, 04:30 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

If you have chronic costo, it can be a symptom of an underlying autoimmune disorder like lupus, especially if accompanied by fatigue, other joint aches and pains, fevers, pleurisy, etc, etc. I would ask to get sed rate, CRP, and ANA checked, especially if other symptoms of lupus present. Treating the underlying disorder then helps the costo. You can review symptoms of lupus online and on the sticky notes here on the lupus board. There is also a Voltaren gel and lidocaine patches that can be applied topically that may help. Both are RX items from Dr. I'll bet you haven't tried those and will add a couple of items to your Dr's short list of aids for his costo patients. I suspect the caretaking activities are aggravating it too. Can someone else in family help and give you a much needed break? You need to take care of yourself, but I am preaching to the choir. You know that and may be trapped. Is there a non profit agency that provides respite care for caretakers, or perhaps church volunteers that could sit with folks for a few hours a week so you can get a break? I feel for you. I've been in this same situation and it is exhausting. I hope you can find some resources for assistance in your family or community so you can get some relief yourself.

Closed Thread