It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
(female)

whitetanktop421 HB User
Costachondritis

I am a 22 year old female with 2 children. I woke up this morning with, what I thought was a broken rib or pinched nerve. I went to the ER and they diagnosed me with Costachondritis. I have been reading a lot of threads about this. I am terrified!! I can't imagine living with this feeling for the rest of my life. My lower right rib cage feels like its broken, the muscles up my back into my collar bone hurt incredibly bad. I had a severe car accident in 2005 and suffered severe back issues. I have never addressed these issues, now this diagnosis is scary the crap out of me.

I woke up with this feeling and don't remember doing anything to cause strain. I am under ALOT of stress and am constantly yelling. My eating habits aren't the best either. I either don't eat or grab chips, candy, or soda. I am doing my best to change my diet ASAP.

Please someone help me to get the best treatment. I really want to enjoy my 2 and 1 year old as much as possible. I hope someone can help me and give me more insight...

Old 03-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: Costachondritis

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetanktop421 View Post
I am a 22 year old female with 2 children. I woke up this morning with, what I thought was a broken rib or pinched nerve. I went to the ER and they diagnosed me with Costachondritis. I have been reading a lot of threads about this. I am terrified!! I can't imagine living with this feeling for the rest of my life. My lower right rib cage feels like its broken, the muscles up my back into my collar bone hurt incredibly bad. I had a severe car accident in 2005 and suffered severe back issues. I have never addressed these issues, now this diagnosis is scary the crap out of me.

I woke up with this feeling and don't remember doing anything to cause strain. I am under ALOT of stress and am constantly yelling. My eating habits aren't the best either. I either don't eat or grab chips, candy, or soda. I am doing my best to change my diet ASAP.

Please someone help me to get the best treatment. I really want to enjoy my 2 and 1 year old as much as possible. I hope someone can help me and give me more insight...
Costochondritis is an inflammation of the area where the breastbone and ribs are joined by cartilage, 4th 5th and 6th ribs. Feel your 4th rib down from
n the collar bone, easy to feel it should be quite tender. If the area is swollen or puffy and sometimes redish it is called Tietze's disease after a doc of the same name. It only seems to happen between 20 and 40 years of age. It usually comes for no reason and eventually goes. Could be a virus that causes it, no one is quite sure.
If a rash comes up it may be shingles. Could be a thoracic joint condition from your car accident.
I must admit that your pain as you describe it is not where it should be for this condition it is further down. Mind you if you are under stress and kids to look after pain can often be present in unusual places. Is it does
not subside in a few days see your doc.
James

The following user gives a hug of support to james079:
whitetanktop421 (03-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
(female)

whitetanktop421 HB User
Re: Costachondritis

Quote:
Originally Posted by james079 View Post
Costochondritis is an inflammation of the area where the breastbone and ribs are joined by cartilage, 4th 5th and 6th ribs. Feel your 4th rib down from
n the collar bone, easy to feel it should be quite tender. If the area is swollen or puffy and sometimes redish it is called Tietze's disease after a doc of the same name. It only seems to happen between 20 and 40 years of age. It usually comes for no reason and eventually goes. Could be a virus that causes it, no one is quite sure.
If a rash comes up it may be shingles. Could be a thoracic joint condition from your car accident.
I must admit that your pain as you describe it is not where it should be for this condition it is further down. Mind you if you are under stress and kids to look after pain can often be present in unusual places. Is it does
not subside in a few days see your doc.
James
Thank you the pain has subsided, but when I get stressed or a little to anxious I get a very sharp pain in my stomach area around my rib cage, right side of my ribs, and my collar bones. I am now taken a multivitamin and trying to cut down on sugars and caffeine. I have even began to have the shakes when I get super stressed. I hope things are ok. I just can't deal with the pain and have the little ones.

Closed Thread