It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
(female)

anjzmom HB User
Pain after eating?

I recently had a surgical procedure done on my bile duct which caused several other problems and since then I have also had a lot of pain in my upper abdomen which I thought was related to the bile duct/liver problems I had but now the dr is saying he thinks it is my rib/cartilage. After talking with him most of my symptoms do fit this but I also have very severe pain after eating which he isnt sure is related to this so I am wondering if anyone else has pain after eating. I am still not sure this is actually what my problem is since the dr didnt think eating should hurt so I would really appreciate hearing if this affects anyone else. Thanks so much.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
Re: Pain after eating?

I don't know if what I experience is really pain after eating, it's more of a discomfort. Sometimes it's worse than others. Kind of feels like either someone is pulling up from under my lower left rib area or shoving a fist in it..very hard to describe. It feels best when I stretch as much as is possible, I think maybe it takes any pressure off the rib.

To help ease the pain I ice my back kind of in the area where the bra goes across my back.
I ice it until the nerve goes numb and the pain dulls. That's something my PT taught me.

I do get the sharp pains from either moving wrong , twisting, or doing to much heavy lifting. Costo is a very irritating and painful thing and not much eases it up. I find that Mobic helps more than any other anti inflamatory. Nothing really gets rid of it except freezing the nerve. I've been suffering from costo for about 12 years. It takes very few breaks for me.
I hope I was at least a little help.

The following user gives a hug of support to WoodsWalker:
anjzmom (01-02-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to WoodsWalker For This Useful Post:
anjzmom (01-02-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
(female)

anjzmom HB User

Thanks so much for the reply WoodsWalker. I know it is hard to explain the pain but you did it very well and totally described what I am feeling. The strange part is it doesnt usually hurt after breakfast, will hurt intermittantly after lunch but hurts terribly after dinner. As soon as I am done eating dinner it hurts so bad and the best thing I can do to make it feel better is to sit in a recliner and lean back as far as I can. I cant lean back flat but just enough to stretch the area. I really cant figure out why it is so bad after dinner but I am wondering if maybe all the food I have eaten throughout the day hasnt completely passed through and is building up pressure against the ribs.

The worst part is that I normally work nights and I am diabetic so I have to eat dinner but then the pain is so bad and I cant sit in a recliner there. I also have to use my arms a lot at work which also hurts so between the pain from using my arms and needing to eat I am only able to work half of my shift which is really hurting my wallet.

Since you appear to be knowlegable about this I have another question for you about the cause. I had surgery that was done by a needle entering my side through my liver which was then supposed to go into my bile duct to put a stent in. The dr tried unsuccessfully for quite some time to reach the bile duct and after all the probing around he somehow did something that actually caused a bile leak and gave me peritonitis that landed me in the hospital for 9 days. So my question is if he possibly irritated the rib area could that cause this condition? If so does it seem like something that might just take time to heal or could it be permanent damage? Of course the dr is trying to say I must have done something since the surgery to injure myself but as soon as I awoke from the surgery I spent 9 days in bed and it hurt that whole time so I dont know how I could have injured myself laying in bed. I know you probably arent a dr and I am not expecting expert medical advice but I would really appreciate your opinion.

I am sorry you have had to suffer for so long and I really appreciate your help and hope that you will get relief somehow.

The Following User Says Thank You to anjzmom For This Useful Post:
WoodsWalker (01-02-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

I wish I knew what caused it. I don't recall ever injuring myself in the ribs.
I'm glad the description helped. It's so difficult to explain to someone. I said the left side, but in reality it's my right side that hurts and my fingers must of thought typing left was easier last night, lol.

Another thing I have found that helps keep the pain/discomfort to a minimum is to wear pants that sit low off the waist and barely there bras. Bras irritate SO much and that's the only style that hurts the least.

The Dr offered me injections, but no way am I letting anyone insert one of those needles into my ribcage. I just do what I can and just deal with it.
I hope this is a temporary thing for you and it goes away.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
(female)

anjzmom HB User

Thanks again WoodsWalker, I really appreciate your insight. Right after getting home from the hospital I learned that it felt better with pants with a low waistband or something like sweats was the most comfortable. I will have to try the bra you suggested, thanks for that.

The gastro dr I saw also said that if it doesn't get better I could have a dr give me injections too but I'm with you that does not sound good at all LOL

Old 04-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
(female)

nattie73 HB User

i get pain in my ribs and back after eating wonder why it flares after eating??

Closed Thread