It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
(female)

saraann42 HB User
Could someone help me with these symptoms please!

Hi all, I will start at the beginning so that i dont miss anything out. About 2 and a half weeks ago i was helping my dad with a shed, i was doing alot of lifting and moving of things as my dad has lung cancer caused by asbestos so gets out of breath alot. Anyway, since then i have had a stabbing pain that starts right under my left breast and feels as though its around my back as well. The sharp stabbing pain comes and goes, but i find lifting, bending and mild exercise starts the pain off. I also noticed that wearing a bra is making the pain return. If i take a deep breath i get a pinching feeling around the breast. My ribs feel really tender to touch almost as though they are bruised and when i rub them i can feel a clicking, popping feeling under the skin.
Im starting to worry its my heart or lungs, and im planning on going to the doctors on tuesday. The only thing that really helps the pain is a heat pad and painkillers take the edge off the pain when it starts. When i dont have the stabbing pain, i get a feeling of something there, i cant really describe it. The pain seems to just start out of nowhere and can last a few minutes too hours and then just disappears. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? If so did you find out what was causing it.

Thank you for your time

Old 04-06-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: Could someone help me with these symptoms please!

Hi -- your symptoms sound like my constcondritis symptoms. Deep breaths are really painful, the area between the breasts on one side of the sternum is tender to the touch, wearing a bra is dreadful. I actually prefer ice for treatment -- the "itis" in costocondritis means swelling, so ice should help to get the swelling under control. In addition, anti-inflammatories should help, not so much with the immediate pain but with the swelling issue. I got a prescription for Lidoderm, which helped with the pain. I was finally able to get my rib back in place, by pulling my shoulders together in the back and taking a really deep breath. Super painful, but a relief.

Of course, whenever you have chest pain, it's important to get checked out by a doctor, so certainly keep your appointment.

The Following User Says Thank You to SweetPeainSF For This Useful Post:
saraann42 (04-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2012, 03:30 AM   #3
(female)

saraann42 HB User

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Im glad someone can relate to my symptoms. Do you also notice that the pain goes up your shoulder blade? I will definately try the ice on it, do you use cooling gel or ice packs? Sorry for all the questions! I will keep my appointment and hopefully find a cause as it really starting to get me down. Thank you again x

Last edited by saraann42; 04-07-2012 at 03:31 AM.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

I tend to have pain on the same side as my costocondritis, but between the shoulder blade and the spine. I usually use gel packs, rather ice cubes, because I find the gel more comfortable. 15 minutes per hour, with fabric between the source of cold and your skin to protect the skin from frostbite. Good luck with your appointment!

Old 05-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
(male)

Willfindes HB User

Hi, iv had costo for yrs and it sounds to me that what you have is the Same . It will go in time but keep from doin any exercise . I'm taking co-codamol 30/500mg pain relief tablets which works to a degree . Also try a pain relief gel called Biofreeze , which you can get from most chemists . Good luck .

Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
(female)

naynaynaynay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraann42 View Post
Hi all, I will start at the beginning so that i dont miss anything out. About 2 and a half weeks ago i was helping my dad with a shed, i was doing alot of lifting and moving of things as my dad has lung cancer caused by asbestos so gets out of breath alot. Anyway, since then i have had a stabbing pain that starts right under my left breast and feels as though its around my back as well. The sharp stabbing pain comes and goes, but i find lifting, bending and mild exercise starts the pain off. I also noticed that wearing a bra is making the pain return. If i take a deep breath i get a pinching feeling around the breast. My ribs feel really tender to touch almost as though they are bruised and when i rub them i can feel a clicking, popping feeling under the skin.
Im starting to worry its my heart or lungs, and im planning on going to the doctors on tuesday. The only thing that really helps the pain is a heat pad and painkillers take the edge off the pain when it starts. When i dont have the stabbing pain, i get a feeling of something there, i cant really describe it. The pain seems to just start out of nowhere and can last a few minutes too hours and then just disappears. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? If so did you find out what was causing it.

Thank you for your time

Old 01-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #7
(female)

naynaynaynay HB User

Look up Pre cordial Catch Syndrome. My son has same issues with pain near hert, and after many tests, that's what we found.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
(male)

Scott Owens HB User

The ribs and the cartilage connect in the upper chest at the nipple line just as you described your pain. Restricted motion, muscle spasms and inflammation at that same rib also can extend around the rib to the sides and even the mid back (thoracic spine) Patient's often describe a "rib out", which can describe the same pain that involves the mid back, muscle attachments to the rib (periosteum) and the junction of the rib to the cartilage (costochondral juction).

Rotating your shoulders back, laying back over a gym ball and general mid back stretches can sometimes alleviate the pain by increasing motion and function to an injured mid back and associated ribs. If not, ice at the painful spot can be helpful. 1-3 visits to your local chiropractor is a good option (note:you don't need x-rays or 12 visits) I hope that helps.. Take my word - I've been practicing in california for 25 years.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
(female)

kitkat4 HB User

Your symptoms also sound like a possible collapsed lung ( I have had two). It is important to get a chest x-ray as that is how pneumothorax (collapsed lung) is diagnosed. It is potentially serious and must be treated in the hospital immediately. Symptoms vary widely and for my second collapse I had to demand an x-ray as symptoms were slight. It's worth checking out.

Closed Thread