It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
(female)

playdoll29 HB User
Costochondritis - MEAT and DAIRY FREE DIET WORKS!!!!

Hello

I have suffered with what was recently diagnosed as costochondritis. I didnt know it was that until last year. Now, let me tell you that I had severe, severe pains mainly in my left chest/rib area every single day. Even bedning to pick something off the floor would provoke a severe sharp pain like I was having a heart attack. Anyway, you all know the pains so I wont go into it.

I was on tramadol, panadeine forte and diazepam as well a other meds just to get some relief. Yes, heat pack and what not. Nothing really did anything.

However, I read on another forum about a girl who changed her diet and noticed drastic changes. Now, what did I have to lose?...

I have now been on a meat AND dairy free diet over a year now and I am practically pain free!!!! I have detoxed my body from meat and dairy and I am shcoled at the results. I am sooooooo happy., Not an exaggeration as I have a 3 year old and am pregnant and expecting in 3 weeks time and yet I can pick her up and do things like walking without monitoring my breathing etc...

Every day was a struggle and I had some depression which I thought would just get worse. Crying everyday and going to the emergency dept was not uncommon and very tiring.

I admit that when I do cheat a little and have some cheese here and there I can feel some discomfort. When I take one bite of chicken and beef I feel my inflammation within the hour. Please know that this is no exsaggeration. I had ultrasounds which revealed inflammation on the left 4th cartillage and I had 3 separate steroid injections (different occasions) The first injection worked and was pain free for three months (had NOT changed my diet at that point) the others literally did nothing.

During my pregnancy I have cheated somewhat due to cravings but I NEVER dared touch beef or chicken, so only some mozzarella cheese avoidig cheddar but I only have gorgeous soy cheese which taste like mozzarella and melts etc... Beautiful! If I have a tiny bit of milk once again during my pregnancy only do I seem to tolerate it. But certainly not ecveryday of often.

I would like to ask that you at least try changing your diet. I dont know if there is a certain protein or something in meat that affects my inflammation but IT WORKS, My partner noticed a difference within 3 weeks.

PLEASE PLEASE try it. I hope it works for you, but I truly believe that diet is a MAJOR part of many inflammatory conditions and others! Just look at diabetes and god knows how many other conditions.

I hope this gives you some hope of being more pain free. I can truly from the bottom of my heart say that it has worked for me.

Now, I still have to work on strengthening my back and chest muscles which if they spasm is a different feeling as I have been so imobile due to avoiding certain positions to avoid the costochondritis pain that obviously your muscles weaken. But i am HAPPY!!! I will go back to a STRICT MEAT FREE AND DAIRY FREE diet (eating instead soy products, fish and pulses etc....almost like a vegetarian I guess) so that my body is once again properly detoxed for when baby is born in three weeks!

Please let me know how you get on or if you have ANY questions that I might be able to help you with. xxxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
(female)

playdoll29 HB User
Re: Costochondritis - MEAT and DAIRY FREE DIET WORKS!!!!

Have had costochondritis for way over ten years by the way. Tried loads of mediatgions and god knows what. DIET CHANGE is what works for me!! Wahey!!!!!

Last edited by moderator2; 05-20-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Sounds like you had GERD that the doctors never diagnosed. Congratulations on solving the problem yourself!

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
playdoll29 (05-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
(female)

playdoll29 HB User
Smile Re: Costochondritis - MEAT and DAIRY FREE DIET WORKS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Sounds like you had GERD that the doctors never diagnosed. Congratulations on solving the problem yourself!
Hello,

I thought someone would say something about that but had all those tests for all sorts and definitely not reflux issue.

All linked to crap they put in meat and food in general which affects and provokes inflammation. )

Thank you! I feel much better now but still have to work on strengthening those muscles!

Old 05-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
(female)

playdoll29 HB User

I just want to add that I do find that some people and doctors find it very difficult to accept and believe that for some diet really is essential and life changing with regards to the easing of symptoms for SURE and maybe even the cure to it.. I know very well that people are different and so some things work for some and not for others.

I found that I went to numerous doctors only be be prescribed more and more meds and the pain relief dept were just happy for me to stay on tramadol and panadeine forte. For good pretty much. What destruction to my body...

I probably should do a better written post perhaps. But I just want people to know that food and especially the kind of food we eat today, is the cause of loads of intolerances etc which can then lead to conditions and certain diseases.

I am really glad you replied though Janewhite1 thank you. I wasnt sure if anyone would read my post!

I feel detoxed and for me a fish/vegetarian diet is what works thank god!!! xxx

Old 05-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

I think everyone's triggering reason and path to relief may differ. I've been a vegetarian (no fish, but dairy) for twenty years. My costochondritis was triggered by a chiropractic adjustment to my thoracic region.

For many folks dietary change may help or cure their condition, but maybe a mechanical path to relief is appropriate for others. (I'm finding good relief with kinesio tape, which makes sense since my injury is mechanical.) I'm super-happy that you have found relief!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:50 AM   #7
(female)

playdoll29 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPeainSF View Post
I think everyone's triggering reason and path to relief may differ. I've been a vegetarian (no fish, but dairy) for twenty years. My costochondritis was triggered by a chiropractic adjustment to my thoracic region.

For many folks dietary change may help or cure their condition, but maybe a mechanical path to relief is appropriate for others. (I'm finding good relief with kinesio tape, which makes sense since my injury is mechanical.) I'm super-happy that you have found relief!
Hey SweetPeainSF

I agree definitely that diet change might not suit everyone. It is a relief to find some kind of pain relief though. I just think many doctors and medical people dismiss far too quickly like they did for me saying there wasnt enough research. They couldnt be bothered to investigate or to give it a chance. For them, in my personal experience, it was merely a case of shove the tablets down, try some physio (which I did and should continue to strengthen muscles only from not moving the area to avoid pain) and put up with what is a condition that hasnt supposedly got a cure. Which it may not, but I was tired of taking tabs especially if there are other things I can try, had nothing to lose!

Thanks SweetPeainSF, I am glad you have found something that works for you too!

Last edited by playdoll29; 05-22-2012 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Missed a bit!

The following user gives a hug of support to playdoll29:
SweetPeainSF (05-22-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
(male)

Willfindes HB User

Hi, I am going to try and have a meat and dairy free diet . I'll try anything to get rid of this pain . Many thanks for this info . Let you how I get on during the wks .

The Following User Says Thank You to Willfindes For This Useful Post:
sjb (05-31-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
(female)

playdoll29 HB User

Hello Willfindes

Give it a go definitely. Be STRICT to make sure you detox ALL the meat and dairy from your body. When I read a post from a girl in the USA I believe it was, I thought exactly the same. I literally had NOTHING to lose. I had pain every single day, bad pains which sometimes meant I had to be taken to emergency and just simply other times, I was completely immpbilised and had to have loads of different NSAIDS and pain killers and sometimes even that didnt work and I would end up in emergency. Not nice with a toddler to look after. Within 3 - 4 weeks of the diet change, my pains were less and not just me but my partner noticed a massive change.

For me, I have 100% notic ed that it is my main trigger for sure. I have been cheating alittle during my pregnancy (due next week) and although I am tolerating the cheating of eating a little bit of cheese here and there, when I eat that little bit too much, wham, I feel aching in my chest. Before I was pregnant, my tolerance level was far, far lower for some reason and I would get my chosto pain pretty much within the hours after eating the cheese.

I really, really, really hope it works for you. I undestand people may react to different 'treatments' or methods to try and keep the pain at bay at least, but as you say, you would do anything to keep the pain away which ais how I felt.

Please let me know how you go.

Can I add that you will need to be patient, remember if it doesnt work within the month it doesnt mean it wont work. Someone wrote that he noticed changed after around 3 months. I know it might be difficult but give it a real good go.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by moderator2; 05-29-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
(male)

Alex2011 HB User

Can anyone say what foods might be good for people with costochondritis?

For example is brocoli good for inflammation? Soybeans? Things like that?

Think I'm gonna try this diet see if it helps. Thanks for helping.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:05 PM   #11
(female)

playdoll29 HB User
Smile Re: Costochondritis - MEAT and DAIRY FREE DIET WORKS!!!!

Hi Alex2011

I found foods with a high anti-inflammation level. So foods which are known to be low inflammatory foods.

I found the following are great for inflammation:

Kale
Sardines
Salmon
Spinach
Garlic

They are in no specific order. Broccolli is also good, I would eat loads of fruit and veg and just take away the meat and dairy. Just from my experience. That's all.

I eat soy products (although I cant stand tofu!) - soy beans, soy mince for a gorgeous spaghetti bolognese taste lovely, my partner even eats that!!

Also soy burger/soy sausages and soy cheese. I dont like cold soy miik as it tastes really powdery but I found that I LOVE soy hot chocolate made half strength to take away the real powdery taste!! Full strength was just far too powdery with the powder from the hot choc!!

I hope you get on alright. Never hurts to give it a go in my view, especially if it means being more pain free and even pain free completely as it so far seems to be with me.

let me know how you get on.

Lesley x

Last edited by moderator2; 05-30-2012 at 05:15 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

The Following User Says Thank You to playdoll29 For This Useful Post:
Alex2011 (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I want to know if others try this and how it works for them so the information can be handed down.

Closed Thread