It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
(male)

Willfindes HB User
Costochondritis. Pain from hell.

Hi, I am glad to find a site Where we all are suffering from the same problem. I have had this horrible costochondritis for two yrs now but has become worse this yr.Three wks ago I had a steroid injection into chest (cartilage ), but it is still painful as much as before . Only thing left to have now is an operation to have some cartilage removed which is inflamed . Surgeon says this will stop pain ,but I'm not sure . I've tried NSAID (anti flam ) , codeine (narcotic ) , creams , steriod injection. Co-codamol 30/500mg tabs does work to a degree and also a gel called Biofreeze . I had to pack my hgv driving job in as the pain was that bad and now I'm living off savings and state benefit . I'm trying to be strong but this injury does test you to your limits and would not wish it on anyone . Hopefully one day I can have a normal life and start doing all the things that I long to do .

The following user gives a hug of support to Willfindes:
sjb (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Costochondritis. Pain from hell.

Hi welcome to the chostochondritis board! I hope the needed support is found here. I would think at least twice before a surgery is done and see at least a couple professionals since there is risk in any surgery. Sometimes after a surgery of any type people find themselves in worse condition, pain, bone infection etc. It is up to the person involved to make their own choice and educate themselves very well as to their condition. I would certainly be looking for natural health choices too such as trying a heating pad to the chest and nourishing the body well to be sure it is healthy. Since turmeric, cherries and pineapple are said to be natural anti-inflammatories I would be using plenty of the fresh cherries and freshly made pineapple juices (canned is not as good as an anti-inflammatory). I might use plenty of green foods also since humans are really supposed to have something green and something yellow or orange every day according to some. In my opinion the medicines by the way help ruin other organs by damaging them in the process of detoxification, literally washing them in chemicals. The motrin in particular is extremely bad for the stomach and digestive system. I wish you the best. sjb

Last edited by sjb; 05-29-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: additions made, Typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2012, 05:42 AM   #3
(male)

Willfindes HB User

A few weeks ago I went to see pain management team about how I'm getting on after having operation . Operation was injection of steroids into cartilage . This operation was to stop costochondritis , but after weeks of pain , it still had no effect . So after talking to doctor , he recommended a nerve blocking drug called " pregabalin " . I had to take a tablet 75mg 3x daily , This was a low dose to start off with . Two weeks on and I am a changed person . Pain in my chest area where cartilage is inflamed , has dramatically improved . So much so that I am back at work . If anybody is suffering from costo and know the kind of pain it brings , please go to docs and insist on having this drug ,It will give you back your life . It is a costly drug so the NHS don't like giving it out . Please let us know how you get on as I know how much you need to get relief from this injury .

Old 07-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

I'm glad you found relief and hope it continues for you with pregabalin, the name brand for that is Lyrica. I tried it for both the costo and FM. It did help with pain but I got some pretty horrific migraines from it as well as a few other side affects. I lasted just shy of 2 weeks on it trying to see if the side affects would subside. The headaches got worse & gained 6 lbs in 2 weeks and I quit the lyrica as the trade off wasn't good.

The following user gives a hug of support to WoodsWalker:
sjb (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
(male)

Willfindes HB User

Hi, Ive been on these tabs for two wks and only side effect is bad nightmares . They are not so bad now . What are you on now to sort out costo and fm .

Old 07-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

I'm taking a fun little mixture of vit C, D, B-complex , E & Magnesium maleate. DReMU pain relief oil and the scripts I take are cymbalta, flexeril and tramadol. None of that comes close to touching the Costo. So far the only thing that had any good results for costo is the Lyrica and it did not play nice with me so I kicked it out of the sandbox.

I have learned to just live with it, icing the nerve just till numb give temporary relief and nothing strenuous that will pull on my ribcage or twisting. A bit of DReMU takes some of the edge off

Old 07-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
(male)

Willfindes HB User

Im going to take the vitamins that you are on,as these are said to help costo pain . Also I'm on a meat and dairy free diet. I'm also going to try applying kinesio tape to chest area , which is used as a supporting brace . I feel your pain .

Last edited by Administrator; 08-14-2012 at 05:50 AM.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
(female)

annawatsonvance HB User

I found that cutting out soft drinks and drinking only water/tea/coffee and using only Sweet and Low greatly relieved my pain. A friend told me about someone being mis -diagnosed with MS who recovered nicely from the pain after stopping a 3 Diet Coke a day habit, so I gave it a try. I saw relief after just 3 days.

However, I did not have the condition to the extent you do.

Last edited by annawatsonvance; 08-02-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #9
(male)

Willfindes HB User

Hi , thanks for reading my thread . I've found pain relief by having the magic pill Pregablin (lyrica ) . Many have found this pill to strong with side effects , but I'm ok on it . I get dizzy and headaches sometimes but I can put up with it as long as it stops my costochondritis .

Last edited by Administrator; 08-14-2012 at 05:51 AM.

Closed Thread