It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
(male)

medw1290 HB User
Shortness Of Breath

Hi,
I've had what I think is Costochondritis for about a year now which was caused by doing dips in the gym - I've had various tests, heart, x-ray, breathing etc which have all come back clear. The pain/tightness that I was experiencing on my chest has improved but I am still experiencing a feeling of being short of breath

I was wondering if anyone with the condition has experienced shortness of breath, in particular the feeling of not being able to get a deep breath especially when lying down? It also seems to be worse after eating a meal or slouching on the sofa.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 07-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Shortness Of Breath

Shortness of breath is not usually a symptom of costochondritis, pain is. I wonder, what is your weight? Is the shortness of breath at rest, with exertion, and do you have any cough or wheezing? Any history of allergies/asthma? Pulmonary function tests and an echocardiogram, along with oxygen saturation measurements at rest and with exertion might be helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

luca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB Userluca689 HB User

Have you been evaluated for GERD? The sensations you describe, especially considering the timing of your symptoms, are what I experienced with GERD, not the costo.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
(male)

medw1290 HB User

Thanks for the replies - I am 15 stone and 6ft 3. The shortness of breath rarely occurs when I'm exercising, it is usually when I am resting and mostly when lying down at night in bed.

I don't have any coughing or wheezing and am not aware of any allergies. I've had various heart tests, including an echocardiogram, EKG and stress tests which have all come back ok.

I didn't consider that it could be GERD, what treatments are available?

Old 07-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
(female)

travisdog HB User

Hi MEDW I just joined today as i have the exact same symptoms. I saw an ENT doc who suggested it was GERD and I have had some bad reflux in the past so who knows. My GP did think costochondritus because of the pain but the breathless feeling isn't really costo. It is definately worse when slouching and after eating. I was given a months course of Omeprazole to deal with the acid which seems to be helping. Good luck.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

If it is GERD, it might help to sleep on a wedge pillow or prop up the head of your bed on blocks. Either way, just something so you don't have to lie down so flat. During meals and for a couple hours after, sit or stand up straight. Don't eat close to bedtime.

Some people find that particular foods or beverages are more likely to trigger it.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:12 AM   #7
(male)

medw1290 HB User

Hi, travisdog - I'd be interested to hear how you get on with Omeprazole.

I do have the feeling of being full but can also feel hungry at the same time. I'm wondering if it is a reflux problem aswell

Thanks all for the advice

Old 02-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
(female)

jacinabox HB User

Hi mike, I had similar symptoms & actually went to hospital and had chest X-ray/ECG. Went back to normal Dr and it was as simple as the neurofen/antiinflammatories that I was on was flaring up old asthma! He gave me cortizone tablets instead & I immediately feel better. Sometimes getting a 2nd opinion really helps :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medw1290 View Post
Hi,
I've had what I think is Costochondritis for about a year now which was caused by doing dips in the gym - I've had various tests, heart, x-ray, breathing etc which have all come back clear. The pain/tightness that I was experiencing on my chest has improved but I am still experiencing a feeling of being short of breath

I was wondering if anyone with the condition has experienced shortness of breath, in particular the feeling of not being able to get a deep breath especially when lying down? It also seems to be worse after eating a meal or slouching on the sofa.

Thanks,
Mike

Closed Thread