HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Costochondritis (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/costochondritis/)
-   -   Costochondritis help... how long till I can go back to work? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/costochondritis/915282-costochondritis-help-how-long-till-i-can-go-back-work.html)

fionalopl 08-23-2012 02:07 AM

Costochondritis help... how long till I can go back to work?

Hello I was wondering if anyone could help me...

The day after I had a needle biopsy on my breast I was in work and started lifting some heavy things, the pain then spread across my chest and down my left arm. I carried on working but then over the next couple of weeks I physically could not work due to the pain. I was admitted to hospital with a panic attack and suspected heart attack twice. It was only after this that the diagnosis of costochondritis was given. It has now been 5 weeks and i have been unable to work during this time as I cannot lift anything or stand up or walk around for the time required. This is very weird for me as I normally work around 50 hours a week and have an active social life. For the past 5 weeks anything physical ends up with me in lots of pain. Even my 2 month old nephew resting his head on my chest is too much to bare.

I went to the doctors yesterday, they say that the pain should have gone by now and so are running the same tests they ran several weeks ago and I feel it is a waste of time. I work in a very physical environment and just want to know how long it has taken others to be able to return to work..?

Please any help would be greatly appreciated!

SweetPeainSF 09-02-2012 11:02 PM

Re: Costochondritis help... how long till I can go back to work?

I didn't take any time off from work, but my costo pain was totally limited to my chest area. I get flares from driving too far, because of holding my hands forward. Is there any light duty work you can do?

Once other problems are ruled out, you might think about physical therapy. I had the most luck with physio tape. The PT taped me twice; then I went and bought the tape myself.

ronnald 09-18-2012 10:49 AM

[QUOTE=SweetPeainSF;5049737]I didn't take any time off from work, but my costo pain was totally limited to my chest area. I get flares from driving too far, because of holding my hands forward. Is there any light duty work you can do?

Once other problems are ruled out, you might think about physical therapy. I had the most luck with physio tape. The PT taped me twice; then I went and bought the tape myself.[/QUOTE]

Hi SweetPea,
This is strange. I was just at the gym and felt some costo pain that I've had for over a year and figured I'd check Healthboards too see if there is any treatment that I haven't done yet, and there YOU are. We seem to have very similar issues. I have costo too, for about a year or a little longer.

When I first felt mine, I thought it was a heart attack, bad sharp pain when getting out of bed, but then after analyzing it, I realized the pain seem more superficial and figured it probably wasn't a heart attack. A couple days later, went to the doc and pretty much said it was costo.

Haven't found any quick cures, just trying to avoid things that flare it.

fionalopl 09-18-2012 12:05 PM

The doctors have told me that there is no quick fix and so for the time being I will need to learn what I can and cannot do. Unfortunately there are no light duties I can do in one of my jobs so I have had to hand in my notice but will stay on at the other.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Fingers crossed everything works out good when I head back to work next week :)

SweetPeainSF 09-18-2012 10:53 PM

Hi fionalopl -- I am so glad you are able to return to one of your jobs. Feeling productive can be uplifting to your spirit. Best of luck next week, and please be careful.

Ronnald -- indeed, I have found a lot of crossover between my various conditions and the folks on the boards. When I first had the costo pain, I threw up, then the incredible pain kicked in a day later. I called the local ER on a holiday weekend and they had no estimate for triage times. Then I touched the lump in my chest which was tender and iced the area, which helped.

I have been able to pop various joints in my rib/sternum junction ever since I can remember. Apparently, such a talent is not normal. Many folks with injuries are hypermobile, at least in the particular joint, predisposing them to injury. Now that I am aware of my hypermobility, I try to be careful, like not allowing my knees to bend backward. Ice and kinesio tape have been the only things that help with my costo. The tape is stretchy and comes in different brands. I was told by one PT that I don't breath correctly, triggering the costo. That was my last visit.

ronnald 03-11-2013 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=SweetPeainSF;5058350]Hi fionalopl -- I am so glad you are able to return to one of your jobs. Feeling productive can be uplifting to your spirit. Best of luck next week, and please be careful.

Ronnald -- indeed, I have found a lot of crossover between my various conditions and the folks on the boards. When I first had the costo pain, I threw up, then the incredible pain kicked in a day later. I called the local ER on a holiday weekend and they had no estimate for triage times. Then I touched the lump in my chest which was tender and iced the area, which helped.

I have been able to pop various joints in my rib/sternum junction ever since I can remember. Apparently, such a talent is not normal. Many folks with injuries are hypermobile, at least in the particular joint, predisposing them to injury. Now that I am aware of my hypermobility, I try to be careful, like not allowing my knees to bend backward. Ice and kinesio tape have been the only things that help with my costo. The tape is stretchy and comes in different brands. I was told by one PT that I don't breath correctly, triggering the costo. That was my last visit.[/QUOTE]

Hi Sweetpea,
I'm getting surgery on my hips via Dr Sampson. I'm curious how your hip surgery went and how your costo did. I find being on my side aggravates my costo, however the hip surgery is done laterally with me being on my side. I'm getting both hips done the same day. Any advice?

SweetPeainSF 03-16-2013 03:44 PM

I'm glad that you made the decision to go with Dr. Sampson. In my view, he's the best choice available in the SF area.

As as far as minimizing the effects of the costochondritis during the surgery and after, I would recommend the following steps: make an appointment with a physical therapist to learn some of the exercises you can do to offset any upper-body muscle imbalance. Ask them to tape you with kinesiotape; it's the only thing that helped with the costo for me. If it helps you, you can tape yourself up the night before the surgery. Be sure to remind Dr. Sampson of your costochondritis; the surgical team should be able to minimize the amount of time you are on one side or the other. They might also be able to put a pillow against your chest to absorb some of the weight.

For recovery, you are probably going to want a walker to help you mobilize. Costo and crutches are not good friends, and with a bilateral hip scopes, crutches probably won't be much help. Also, I would recommend getting a tall wedge to place under your knees, to take the pressure off your hips and lower back, as you will want to sleep/recover as much as possible. There's a back store in Berkeley which had shorter wedges and one in Walnut Creek where they had much taller ones. I prefer the taller ones, myself.

If I think of anything else, I will try to add more.

Anchor 03-19-2013 10:00 PM

[QUOTE=fionalopl;5044230]Hello I was wondering if anyone could help me...

The day after I had a needle biopsy on my breast I was in work and started lifting some heavy things, the pain then spread across my chest and down my left arm. I carried on working but then over the next couple of weeks I physically could not work due to the pain. I was admitted to hospital with a panic attack and suspected heart attack twice. It was only after this that the diagnosis of costochondritis was given. It has now been 5 weeks and i have been unable to work during this time as I cannot lift anything or stand up or walk around for the time required. This is very weird for me as I normally work around 50 hours a week and have an active social life. For the past 5 weeks anything physical ends up with me in lots of pain. Even my 2 month old nephew resting his head on my chest is too much to bare.

I went to the doctors yesterday, they say that the pain should have gone by now and so are running the same tests they ran several weeks ago and I feel it is a waste of time. I work in a very physical environment and just want to know how long it has taken others to be able to return to work..?

Please any help would be greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

I got this when I was 12 I'm 16 now but it helpe alot to go to physical theropy,