It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
(male)

Legatus HB User
Smile Costochondritis - worth a read

Costochondritis - I was diagnosed with this unpleasant ailment around end of November. For me - it comes and goes and saw progressive improvements but here I will list what stimulates and causes the flare ups:

- tight clothing - especially around the sternum and posterior back.
- stress - very important to avoid this
- lack of sleep - crucial to get good nights sleep while you have this disease + beyond
- excessive physical work
- hard seat chairs and seats

What helps to combat symptoms and offers relief and lowers incidence of flare ups:

- soft seats or pillows to support your posture
- vapour inhalers with hymalaya salt or steam shower
- lots of rest
- anti inflammatory herbs such as agrimony tea - always do your due diligence before consuming herbs - they may not be right for everyone
- avoid standing for long periods of time - especially with poor footwear
- royal jelly in honey

All of the information in this post is for informative purposes only and are my opinion only. Do not substitute with advice and consultation of a health professional

Old 12-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
(male)

Legatus HB User
Smile Re: Costochondritis - worth a read

Also - avoid sleeping in anything on upper body that has zippers - these in my opinion press against body and greatly contribute to the flare ups and development of the disease in that they can press against the certain area of chest without you even realizing it and hence contribute to the development of the disease.

All in my opinion

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
(female)

Donna M HB User
Re: Costochondritis - worth a read

I know this post is a few months old, but thanks for the info, Legatus! I have had Costo for over two months now, and the pain has been excrutiating.

I totally agree that rest is so beneficial for the healing process. The more I move around, the worse the pain gets.

I would like to add what's helped me is alternating ice and heat. The ice helps to reduce inflammation, but to me, it's painful to lay a cold ice bag on my skin when my entire ribcage area is already painful. I wrap it in a towel until I can tolerate it better.

Heat, however, helps a lot with reducing the pain, and it feels SO much more soothing. But heat only encourages inflammation, so I do it as little as possible.

Thanks again for sharing and good luck.

Closed Thread