It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
(female)

jerzeygirl70 HB User
Costochondritis and osteoarthritis

Hello, I'm sorry you and I need to be on this thread. I have been dealing with this for 2 1/2 months with no relief. I am a little shocked that my primary doctor which is a really good doctor didn't pick up on this.

I woke up one morning feeling like I was punched in the upper chest area, but more so over my left breast and radiated to my back between my shoulder blades. This went on for a few days before I finally made a doctor appt. I had a stress test done which showed all good. My doctor told me I have Esophageal Spasms with my GERD and referred me to my Gastro Doc. which agreed with my primary doc. so he prescribed me a PPI and Magnesium . Approx. a week later I was taking my meds one morning when all of a sudden I got this feeling of a lump in my throat. I thought I was having an allergic reaction to my meds. I tried not to panic because I could still breathe it just felt like I had something stuck in the back of my throat which gave me a constant swallowing reaction. I had a scope done the next day and my doctor told me there is nothing stuck in my throat and I was in fact having esophageal spasms, oh and "Sorry there's no cure". I lost it!!

I was so upset because I would think if I'm having spasms I would know this, plus my pain isn't in my esophagus, it's over my left breast. I went home so discouraged and my poor husband he had to deal with my emotions that day. About 2 weeks later I stopped taking my meds for the spasms because it was doing ZERO to help my pain. Again i'm thinking there is no way because one would think at least a little relief would come from the meds if I was actually having spasms.

I was in bed one night and started rubbing over the area that hurts when I felt a weird shaped lump. You could see the lump sticking up under my shirt. Of course I panicked and made an appt with my OB/GYN doc. He scheduled a mammogram which showed nothing. He then ordered an ultrasound which again showed nothing. I had an appt already scheduled with my primary doc so I talked with him about my concerns at which time he still backed his original diagnosis of ES, I had him feel the lump and that is when he finally became concerned.
I went to my OB/GYN for my follow up for the ultrasound on the lump. That is when my doctor felt the lump and IMMEDIATELY knew exactly what it was. I went out to my truck and started googling it. I couldn't believe my eyes. Right there in front of my eyes was every one of my symptoms. The funny thing about this is that it took my OB/GYN doctor to know what this is and it isn't even his specialty.

Now that I probably bored you to tears with my issue I still have questions that I need answered. I was diagnosed last year with Osteoarthritis in my pinky of all places. (go ahead and chuckle, I do because I didn't even want to go to the doc for pain in pinky) Anyway sorry. My doctor said Costochondritis is associated with Osteoarthritis. I was so relieved to finally know what this is that I didn't think to ask questions about it. I understand Costochondritis to be trauma to that area, so arthritis doesn't make sense to me because I didn't believe Arthritis is caused by trauma.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply