It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 02:55 AM   #1
(female)

macbeth77 HB User
The Many Disguises of Costo!!!

Hi Everyone.

I am new to Costo well what I have been told is Costo. Please hang with me while I describe my symptoms.

3 months ago, woke with sever pain under my shoulder blade next to spine. Pain didn't ease with painkillers. Pain seemed to come in hot waves. It lasted 4 hours. Next morning I started feeling a little short of breath but pain had cleared. All was good for a few days until I got an infected Mozzie bite. I went to the doctor and got antibiotics and anti inflams. I took these for 3 days but felt awful with the anti inflams. I stopped the drugs. The shortness of breath stuck with me and I should have mentioned it to the doctor but thought maybe it was a stress thing.

As the months progressed the shortness of breath stuck around. My sinus were permanently blocked and every time I moved I was getting a pain in my chest. The pains became a regular dull pain. I went back to the docs and got sent to A&E. they ran an EKG and said all was fine. The doctor there mentioned Costo and sent me on my way with a prescription. I took the prescription once and felt awful. By this point I ended up with GERD due to all the dcongestants and prescription drugs. I ended up with an ireegular heart beat and got sent to A&E. they ran an EKG and said the irregular was coming from the drugs. They said blood tests were fine. They did a chest x-ray and said all was good. They prescribed a puffer for the breathing and antibiotics.

A week later i was in so much pain in the centre of my chest. I was sure it was my heart and the more I thought about it the more certain I was. I went to doctor and this one declared GERD. I have been on Nexium and another 2 drugs. Nothing helped. Pain hung around and the really uncomfortable feeling in my chest. I started taking digestive aid every morning and cutting out soft drinks and my GERD seems to have eased. I was sent for an ultra sound and they said liver was fine so it wasn't gallbladder.

At present I have the chest pain, centre and left side. Always seems to get worse when I lie flat. The area is tender to touch but not painful, which could be my imagination!! I still get the back pain now and again.

I have tried massage which within a couple of days makes my chest worse. The breathing doesn't stop me doing anything and doesn't get worse with excercise. I can't take anti inflams. I have been using tiger balm on my chest and heat packs on my back.

Does anyone else have such random symptoms with Costo? I'm not even sure it's Costo I have!! Sometimes I read other people's symptoms and say that's it its def Costo and then I get a twinge or an ache and think no its not Costo its something else!! Wish there was a simple test they could do and say yip you have such and such. The trial and error is driving me and my stomach insane!!

Thanks everyone for the patience if you willed yourself to read my post. Any advice, input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.s. I have a Chiro booked for Friday to see if it helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

liah890 HB User
Re: The Many Disguises of Costo!!!

Before I can answer does the pain ever spasm or "grab' what feels like your heart ?

Old 08-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
(female)

macbeth77 HB User

Hi neraleah.

Yes it does feel like a spasm. I have had the odd oesophagus spasm years ago but this feels more severe.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

liah890 HB User

I replied to this :\ how bizzare. yeah it does sound a lot like costo unfortunately. if you have the symptoms down to a T there's not much more it can be really. as long as you've been checked out for everything else and gotten the all clear then its just a matter of anti inflammatory something or rather and rest. there's no cure but it I can go away. I'd have a chest xray just to cancel all the other nasties out , then you can have peace of mind when there's a spams that costo is all it is. I don't know about you but when I have a spasm I need that peace of mind or I can lose it quite easily. hope I've helped and that you feel better soon!

Old 08-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
(female)

macbeth77 HB User

Thanks for the response Neraleah.

I had a chest xray along with EKG at the hospital and they said all was good. I was so sure it was my heart by this stage. I couldn't grasp how this pain in the centre of my chest could be anything else....little did I know . Pain has moved into less severe bouts in the centre of chest to my left breast. First time I have went bra shopping and said comfort please no pushing up!! My hubby asked what is the worst symptom!! Wow that was a hard one...I said chest pain with the shortness of breath a close second. My GP is convinced it's GERD but that never started until I was taking all different trial and error antibiotics and ant inflammatories. I have a scope booked in 4 weeks time so will find out for definite then, though I took Nexium for 3 months and it didn't help.i have Chiropractor booked for Friday to see if they can help.

Has your Costochondritis cleared up or are you still a sufferer?

Old 08-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

liah890 HB User

Oh you've had an X - ray ! Brilliant ! YES me too I was convinced I was dying of a heart attack , have been still several times it's the pains location ! Left breast :/ what are we meant to think and grabbing sensation. Ahh is he understanding about the whole thing? My boyfriends been great it really helps just feel sorry for him almost because the costo chucks me around a bit he's been seeing a lot of the worst side of me lately. Bless. I'm smack bang in the middle had it for over a year now but only just got diagnosed so now that I know what I'm dealing with hopefully I can stop it from ruining my life.

Closed Thread