It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Costochondritis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
(female)

sabledragonrook HB User
Is it costochondritis? Pulmonary Embolism? Anxiety?

I'm 20, and I've been to the ER 2 times in the last 5 or 6 days complaining of horrific chest pain. It's everywhere -- my left shoulder, armpit, and arm, my back under my shoulder blades and in the middle, my neck, my head, my pectorals, everywhere. I've had gas pains like that before and I've gotten them to pass, so I can tell that these aren't gas. At the ER both times, they ran some blood tests, an EKG, and a urine test and everything came back normal, as did an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound. The first ER doctor suggested gastritis and put me on Bactrim and Protonix, and the second suggested anxiety. I'm not consciously anxious about anything -- but I know that it can happen subconsciously. I'm a really chill person.

The pain ranges from stabbing to throbbing to suffocating to pressure to stretching to tightness to virtually anything you can imagine. In my shoulders and back, it feels as if I've been hunched over carrying something extremely heavy -- you know that pain mixed with exhaustion. So THAT sounds like stress. Or costochondritis. But how can I rule out more serious conditions like a pulmonary embolism or even celiac disease? If it's stress, I have a hard time telling if gluten affects me because I feel like I'd be getting subconsciously stressed about whether or not it's affecting me. You know?

I'm sick of this already, and I know many people suffer much longer than a week. But worst of all is that I get constant adrenaline shots. That kind of fizzly feeling you get right at the V in your ribcage and into your chest? Yeah, every 20-25 seconds. It's hard to sleep -- it keeps waking me up. This whole thing totally came out of the blue. Literally. I was sitting, doing nothing, and it just WHAM started.

Do you think this is really stress/anxiety or costochondritis? I don't want to be trying to ignore it if it's something important.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
(male)

shimwrecker HB User
Re: Is it costochondritis? Pulmonary Embolism? Anxiety?

I would see your family doctor. And have him run the appropriate tests.

I would also take some ibuprofen.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
(female)

sabledragonrook HB User

What are the appropriate tests? He (the family doc) very baffled, as I went and talked to him yesterday. As of right now, much of the pain is gone except for a slight feeling of pressure and some pain at the top of my right lung when I breathe out deeply. That's a huge improvement which I'm definitely thankful for! But what tests do you think are the next logical ones my doctor could do?

Thanks!

Old 08-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
(female)

sabledragonrook HB User

What are the appropriate tests? He (the family doc) very baffled, as I went and talked to him yesterday. As of right now, much of the pain is gone except for a slight feeling of pressure and some pain at the top of my right lung when I breathe out deeply. That's a huge improvement which I'm definitely thankful for! But what tests do you think are the next logical ones my doctor could do?

Thanks!

Closed Thread