It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2004, 01:03 PM   #1

VincentA HB User
Crohns Treatment

I haven’t posted anything in a while since I have been on Pentasa and feeling better.
About a year ago I began to feel very dizzy, lightheaded and had major jaw pain. To make a long story short, I went to see a doctor today and he said that all my symptoms were due to Crohns. Even the neurological ones. I have never heard of that.
I believes the IBD can be treated with antiobiotics. He wants me to start Cipro and Metronidazole.
From what I understand this is not a very conventional way to treat Crohns. He believes that Pentasa is just calming the symptoms and that his approach will CURE Crohns.

Has anyone heard of Crohns affecting your brain? And what about the treatment?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2004, 01:30 PM   #2

KritterKeeper HB User
Talking Re: Crohns Treatment

Sounds a bit off to me. My hubby has Chrons (I can never spell that!) and just went on Pentasa. His GI dr did put him on Cipro but it was in an attempt to minimize an unpleasant issue with gas. He hoped that it would decrease the amount of bacteria and hence the gas. As for the neurolgical stuff--I might believe that IF you were having a great deal of trouble absobing enough nutrients from your food for optimal body and brain functioning but it would have to be pretty bad. Are you suffering from malnutrition? My husband takes a lot of vitamin and mineral supplements to help his body to get enough. Ask your dr about this. Anemia can sometimes result from Chrons as your body can't absorb enough and also may lose it from the disease. Anemia, if it's marked enough, can definitely cause brain fog and a whole host of other unpleantries.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2008, 06:20 AM   #3
(female)

CoffyDrinker711 HB User
Re: Crohns Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentA View Post
I haven’t posted anything in a while since I have been on Pentasa and feeling better.
About a year ago I began to feel very dizzy, lightheaded and had major jaw pain. To make a long story short, I went to see a doctor today and he said that all my symptoms were due to Crohns. Even the neurological ones. I have never heard of that.
I believes the IBD can be treated with antiobiotics. He wants me to start Cipro and Metronidazole.
From what I understand this is not a very conventional way to treat Crohns. He believes that Pentasa is just calming the symptoms and that his approach will CURE Crohns.

hello:
You are spot-on in questioning your doc- My son's CD came on him suddenly and he is now disabled from several surgeries that left him with severe nerve damage. He has an ileostomy that he says is better than the CD pain and misery. CD is a vicious insidious disease that can be manageable-or not. The Cipro and flagyl are good meds in your regimen for anaerobic infections in your bowel (or anywhere)...CD can appear in the mouth to the anus. Get a good dental check up just in case you have a nasty tooth infection you don't realize you have and if you haven't yet- get a thorough gi work up which will include bowel biopsies. Crohn's disease is an awful dust-devil of a disease than can turn into a hurricane.
Bless you and best of luck.
Coffy

Old 01-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
(female)

peacefrog HB User

I recently had a colonoscopy and the dr. said he saw no evidence of crohn's, Thank God! I wondered if it is always visible in a colonoscopy or if it might not show without a biopsy. I wasn't concerned really until recently when I had unexplained mouth sores. I never get cold sores, and these were on the inside of the lips and gums.They seemed to go from one side, heal, and go to the other side. A year ago I had a temp colostomy due to diverticulits. I had always had self-diagnosed IBS, rapid gastric emptying.. and just thought it was normal for me. I wonder if all that time I had been having flare-ups of diverticulits or something else (crohn's?), or if the continual cramping, etc. caused the diverticuli to form. I asked the dr. once, but he didn't really get what I meant. Any thoughts?

Old 01-20-2008, 09:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentA View Post

Did you have any tests to DX your Crohns? I think I may have Crohns.....but all my tests are normal.....CTscan/sonogram and colonoscopy.

Can you have early crohns and it be undetected?

Hope

Closed Thread