It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2002, 09:49 AM   #1

Xanthic411 HB User
Question Crohn's and Prednisone

I was just recently diagnosed with Crohn's disease. One of the medications that they have me on is prednisone. I was wondering what the side effects are. I have heard that it might cause a puffy appearance to the face and mayeb some acne. I am really worried about having a "puffy" face, so if anyone here takes prednisone, has taken it in the past, or knows someone who is one it, please please please tell me what you know.. I dont want to look nasty with a puffy face. By the way I'm 14.

-Madeline

Old 11-07-2002, 12:38 PM   #2
Veteran

lilrayofhope HB User
Hi Madeline! I'm sorry to hear that you have Crohn's Disease. That's NO fun. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis (also a form of IBD). I'm 14 too. I was put on prednisone, a total of...6 times in the past year. Whenever I was put on a really high dosage to control my 'flare-ups', I would get some acne on my face. It wasn't that bad though. I also would get mood swings. I could really be a real witch at times, but people excused it because they knew it was the medicine. I also got the 'jitters' a lot, and had trouble sleeping. Right now I'm 'weaning' off prednisone. I'm on 20 mg and going down, yeh! I'm having to take it in the morning since I couldn't sleep at nights from the 'jitters'. When I first started taking it I got really worried about the puffy face too. However, it's really easy to manage. Just watch your salt intake. Try to cut down on the amount of salt you eat in foods, like potato chips and pretzels. When ever I would get the puffiness (which really isn't that bad), I'd just drink a lot of water. It goes away once you drink the water. I never found prednisone to actually help with my IBD, but apparently it has, because now (I just had my 3rd colonoscopy/enodoscopy done) and it turns out I'm doing REALLY well. So there is hope. Good luck! And really don't be scared about taking prednisone, the side effects (at least for me) weren't bad at all and about 2 weeks after you're done taking the steriod, the side effects go away, no puffy face, no acne. It's all gone once you're done. So, hang in there!!!

-Carlie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2002, 09:14 PM   #3

Xanthic411 HB User
Talking

Carlie-
Thank you SOOOOO much! That was the most encouraging reply that I have gotten. I went to a website today about teens with crohn's and everyone was so dicouraging, but you gave me hope! The only thing that really sucks is that I hated having the colonoscopy, and endoscopy (sp?) The prep for it was HORRIFIC, not being able to eat for 3 days and drinking that stuff that makes you throw up... and the cramps.. OH THE CRAMPS! I was hoping that I would only have to have it done once. I remember them putting me out (of course not "all th way" for whatever reasons they had) and I remember it really hurting too.. I guess I'll just have to suck it up if I end up having ot get it done again.. but THANK you SO much for your reply!
-Madeline

Old 11-07-2002, 10:10 PM   #4
Veteran

lilrayofhope HB User
Madeline,
I'm sorry to hear that you got some discouraging stuff. Sometimes people get really down when they find out the have IBD. It's not a fun disease to have, and people can get embarrassed. Expecially at our age. Anyways, OMG, I'm right there with you. My first scope was horrible. Not only was I craving food so bad, but then you had to drink that stuff that made you sick as a dog. I figured "Just get the test over with and you'll be fine", but then after the test I was even sicker. I was throwing up blood from the biopsies, hurting like you wouldn't beleive, etc. But then the second scope I had went...better. This last one wasn't too great. The day that I wasn't allowed to eat was Halloween. Yeap! Of all days right? SO the whole time I was craving candy, but I pulled through and got wonderful news!!! It turns out that I'm doing really really well!!! I'm not in a flare-up and I feel pretty good!! So just goes to show that you can have good times too. And that's what we have to remember. Living with IBD is tough, but it IS liveable. STAY STRONG HUN! You're doin' great. Oh! And don't worry about getting another scope. I had to have so many because of other reasons (lot of weight loss) but usually you just have to have a scope once every 2-5 years unless you're having a lot of flare-ups.

-Carlie

Old 11-07-2002, 11:37 PM   #5
Super Sarah

Talking

Unfortunately, Prednisolone is a steroid and although steroids reduce inflammation, they have lots of side effects, such as steroid induced acne and long-term use can create steroid induced diabetes. That is the same reason that you are experiencing a puffy face. This I am afraid is typical of steroids and is called a 'Moon Face'. You can also get an increase in appetite and can gain weight easily. Sorry not to bring more good news, but try to get off them asap as soon as your tummy is a bit better.

There are more natural ways of reducing inflammation rather than steroids, but you would have to go and see an ND rather than an MD.

Old 11-08-2002, 08:28 AM   #6
Inactive

plutoren12 HB User
U guys have crohns? What kind of symptoms did you have that brought it about? let me know. Thanks

Old 11-08-2002, 09:09 AM   #7

Xanthic411 HB User
Plutoren12,

One of the main things that made my family concerened about my health was that I have been underweight pretty much my entire life. Other symptoms were chronic diarea (I had it for like 4 or 5 months stragiht before the figured out what it was) Some rectal bleeding, a low grade fever usually at night, abdominal pain (usually after eating, but can be other times) and a pretty small appetite. MY family has also had a history of Crohn's (My uncle had it)

I response to everyone else, I guess I'm having good luck so far with prednisone! I havent experianced and side effects yet except I'm a little emotional, and my face gets flushed a lot. But I only started at 40mg a day and every 2 weeks my Doctor is taking me down 10 mg, until I get down to 5mg a day, then I'll stay at that. So it's good i wont have to be on it for a long time!

-Madeline

Old 11-18-2002, 05:01 PM   #8

Kate99 HB User
My younger brother has had Crohn's since he was 6 years old and is almost 16 now. He has been on Prednisone basically at least once a year except for a couple of years in middle school when he didn't get sick. But he has gotten a flare up every single winter since he was in 1st grade and diagnosed with it. Prednisone was what he was on a lot to control it.

I guess I do have some words of encouragement. As for the puffiness, when Mike was a little kid, like between the ages of 6 and 9, his face blew up to the point where it didn't even look like him anymore. Living with him day in and day out, we didn't notice it as much.... But looking back at pictures from when he was younger and on the steroid, he didn't even look like the same person.

But he was on this medication last year again, when he was 14/15 years old, and it did not cause him that moon face that he had as a little kid. He also was not on as high of a dose, however, I think it is because he was older and his body took it better.

When he's not on Prednisone, and especially during a flare, his appetite is essentially non-existent. He doesn't enjoy eating at all. On prednisone though, he used to wake my mom up at 6AM full of energy, starving for breakfast. It alters his personality a little bit, in that his appetite basically triples and his energy is through the roof.

Yes, acne can be a side effect, and there may be others, just like any drug. But just remember that this helps you It always got rid of his flares and helped him heal, and that's what we all wanted for him.

Don't worry girl, you'll be aight

Old 12-02-2002, 05:29 AM   #9

Canadian girl HB User
Cool

Hi Madeline,

I am 40 years of age and have had Crohn's since I was 17 but only diagnosed 9 years ago. It took a long time to find out what was wrong. It is very hereditary as my 4 other brothers and sisters all have either Colitis or Crohn's or both. We all have different symptoms, mine was the most severe as I was the only one with pain. I have been on Prednisone and a relatively new drug called Entocort (mild to moderate) and is a steroid. It did not help. The prednisone did help, I am overweight but did not get the moonface, everyone reacts different to meds. I felt great on the prednisone but then I was on it too long and I have weak muscles and nerves and hopefully should go away. Dont stay on Prednisone too long. As for the diahrea, get your doctor to prescribe Cholestyramine, it works, I take one pack a day, it takes like crap but it stops you (within 2 hours) from going contstantly and takes the cramps away.

Dont ever pick up smoking and alcohol, they irritate the bowels more, avoid caffein as well. Chew your food well and small quantities 5-6 times a day. I have had surgery 8 years ago and was perfect up to about 2 years ago and now I need to have it done again. I hope this helps, there will be a cure, think positive and good luck in the future.

Penny

Old 12-07-2002, 08:57 AM   #10

popsicle HB User
I have Crohn's and I am on prednisone. I didn't get acne but I do have a puffy face "chipmunk cheeks" and my stomach is also bigger and puffy. I was taking up to 120mg a day but I'm only on 10mg a day and next week I'll be down to 5mg. The prednisone has also made me pretty cranky and very irritable. I guess it has helped the Crohn's but I'll be so happy to be off it. I've also had increased hair growth.

[This message has been edited by popsicle (edited 12-07-2002).]

Old 12-09-2002, 07:14 PM   #11

Xanthic411 HB User
Talking

I have now been on prednisone for 5 weeks, and i am feeling SOOO much better, and I have gained 10 lbs!! YAY!!! im only up to 90 lbs... but hey, thats better than 80! And i have gottena little puffy in the face, but everyone else says it looks good.. so i am SO happy! thanks for the replys!

Old 12-18-2002, 01:22 AM   #12

anastasie HB User
I am 42 and was diagnosed in October with Crohn's.....I was sick many years and being miss diagnosed over and over....I am getting a new drug called Remacaid Infusion Treatments every few weeks...and I also take Imuran and Asacol.....All cramps and diarea have stopped.....I am going on my 3rd treatment.....but I still have to be careful what I eat or else....I went from 128 lbs. to 102 lbs. in 6 weeks....I am still at 102.....but I stopped losing....the meds I am on cause loss of appetite...so some times I force my self to eat.....I am still looking for answers to what causes Crohn's....no one is quiet sure....my doctor told me I have an over-active immune system that caused it....some research blames stress.....but I don't think stress causes Crohn's....I think Crohn's causes stress.....My prayers go out for all of you.

------------------
Anastasie

Old 09-26-2005, 01:18 PM   #13
(female)

lilyj HB User
Re: Crohn's and Prednisone

I know it's a few years later than when you posted this...but I am 24 and was just diagnosed with Crohn's a few months ago. None of the treatments have worked for me so far so they are trying the Remacaid Infusion Treatments. I was wondering how they worked for you. If they seemed to help at all. If you felt a little more like yourself. I have a beautiful daughter to take care of and I'm finding myself in the bathroom almost all day and very fatigued (falling asleep while playing with her) and very tense. I'm hoping to hear some good stuff about this new treatment they are presenting to me. I think I'm starting next week. Hope all is going well with the control and treatment of your disease! Thank you for your time.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #14
(female)

liliana33 HB User

Remicade was great I felt so much better. HOWEVER..... what doctors fail to tell you is that Remicade can cause scarring or strictures to form and the you may need surgery to relieve the area. I was just released from the hospital because of my stricture that caused and obstruction. I choose not to have the surgery for now and pted to have a balloon procedure. Talk to your Doctor about thsi. There really is very little info on the downside of remicade( which is why I decided to take it...)Good luck!

Old 07-13-2007, 01:59 PM   #15
(female)

millie123 HB User

hi this is a good post im 15 years old and the doctors think i have some kind of IBD, i had a colonscopy done in may and they lost my biopsie results so now i have to go threw the colonscopy and a endoscopy again and it hurt so much last time im absolute dreading it! if anyone can give me some information about IBD i would appreciate it thanks

Closed Thread