It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2005, 05:05 PM   #1
(female)

retrosue HB User
quitting smoking and ulcerative colitis flareup

Ive had UC since I was 17, I have quit smoking in the past and everytime I do I go out of remission within a couple of weeks. My only options then are to take prednisone or start smoking again. Been down the prednisone path many times and its side affects gave me osteonecrosis of the hips when I was 26. After 2 painful hip surgeries steroids are no longer an option for me. Now at 37 the urge to quit smoking is here again, I feel like Im doomed to smoke forever. Is there anyone else who has this problem?

Old 11-02-2005, 06:04 PM   #2
(female)

starr92 HB User
Re: quitting smoking and ulcerative colitis flareup

Oh my god...YES! I do not have colitis but i do have IBS. I quit on july 1 (4 months) ago and have been miserable ever since! Many flare ups, bloating, constipation you name it! I have almost broken a few times but i have managed to stay strong. Went to my doc and he said that smoking has a big effect on the intestines etc, but offered no real fix. sorry i could not be of more help, i am looking for answers myself! It's weird i actually felt better when i WAS smoking, but i made it 4 months and i do not want to go back.
Starr

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2005, 08:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

Studies have shown that smoking actually helps Colitis. Odd isn't it but true. So thats why you went into a flair up after quitting. But stay quit as the health risks from smoking are bad!!

Old 09-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
(female)

irene63 HB User
Angry Re: quitting smoking and ulcerative colitis flareup

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrosue View Post
Ive had UC since I was 17, I have quit smoking in the past and everytime I do I go out of remission within a couple of weeks. My only options then are to take prednisone or start smoking again. Been down the prednisone path many times and its side affects gave me osteonecrosis of the hips when I was 26. After 2 painful hip surgeries steroids are no longer an option for me. Now at 37 the urge to quit smoking is here again, I feel like Im doomed to smoke forever. Is there anyone else who has this problem?
I too have problems when I stop smoking last time was a shocker , heavy bleeding for four months , started smoking again and all is well exept I feel like such a loser , cant get past the feeling a failure , trying to stay at four a day .

Old 09-03-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
(female)

irene63 HB User
Angry Re: quitting smoking and ulcerative colitis flareup

Quote:
I too have problems when I stop smoking last time was hell, heavy bleeding for four months , started smoking again and all is well exept I feel like such a loser , cant get past the feeling a failure , trying to stay at four a day .

Old 09-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #6
(male)

JesseA HB User

Smoking nicotine is bad but helps with UC.

I was wondering, what if you smoke weed instead? No health risks there that i`m aware of.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:06 AM   #7
(female)

UCVic1949 HB User
Thumbs up Re: quitting smoking and ulcerative colitis flareup

Quote:

Old 08-07-2008, 07:10 AM   #8
(female)

UCVic1949 HB User

I too quit smoking and developed ulcerative colitis. To top it off I had a colonoscopy and believe I acquired C-Diff from it. I decided to cure myself and started smoking again - I am much happier!!

Old 08-10-2008, 11:57 AM   #9
(male)

romanalexander HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseA View Post
Smoking nicotine is bad but helps with UC.

I was wondering, what if you smoke weed instead? No health risks there that i`m aware of.
Weed actually has more carcinogens than tobacco, in fact, it is estimated that the tar in cannabis has about 50% more cancer causing ingredients. Some studies estimate that as few as three cannabis joints do equal damage as 20 cigarettes. There is plenty of hard evidence out there so look at the facts not opinions.

Closed Thread