It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
(male)

Michaelbuble HB User
Crohn's diease natural cures/treatments

My GF is suffering from this and it's so bad she can barely take the subway to my house any more. She is seriously ready to take control of it and I am going tomorrow to get her some Probiontics I heard were very useful in managing it.

Also she is going to stay away from dairy and refined sugar, but I was hoping anyone that has it on this board can give us some tips or suggestions as to what they do?

The following user gives a hug of support to Michaelbuble:
coyote41 (09-23-2011)
Old 12-05-2006, 09:03 PM   #2
(female)

care_berry HB User
Re: Crohn's diease natural cures/treatments

I don't have Crohn's, but I do (more like did) have IBS. I saw a naturapathic doctor and it is gone now in part from removal of all dairy, gluten, sugar, corn, soy and much more so I know how hard it can be at times. Just about everything that isn't chicken, fish, turkey, or a vegetable or berry. Careful with starchy veggies though. Potatoes and carrots fit into this catagory. Potatoes should never be eaten because they raise blood sugar levels very high very fast. Carrots should be used only sparingly. Breads raise blood sugar levels very fast too. The only kinds of grains I ever have now are brown rice and quinoa.

Basically out of necessity now I make all of my food myself. That way I know exactly what goes into them. Lots of restaurants use the wrong kinds of oils like corn oil. The only two I ever use now are olive oil and coconut oil. Coconut oil is best to cook with because no trans fat can be made from heating it. Make sure she gets as much organic food as possible! That is very important. Probiotics should be helpful too and I am glad she is going on them. I use them everyday. Also helpful are plant-based enzymes because they make digestion much easier.

I really recommend that you read "Patient, Heal Thyself" by Jordan Rubin. The diet I follow is extremely similiar to the one listed in that book. The author himself was dying of terminal Crohn's disease and now is cured by following this diet. Another great book is "Dr. Mercola's Total Health Program".

Seeing a good naturapathic doctor couldn't hurt either. They may have really good ideas for what else can help. The one I see does saliva testing for hormonal imbalances and sure enough with the stress and anxiety I had, I definately needed supplements. I cannot tell you how much better it has made me feel! I take supplements for my thyroid and adrenals and use a progesterone cream. Very amazing stuff and I no longer have anxiety. Hormones are really important for overall health! Anyways, if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer! Good luck to the both of you and I hope she gets over this terrible disease!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2006, 06:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

Hi Michael

I have crohn's disease and no diet helped me, not even being nil by mouth, probiotics made me worse as it increased the distention in my abdomen. I tried endless medication. In the end i had surgery.

Diet will not help her if she has severe narrowing of the intestines.

I would recommend that she goes to see a gastroenterologist who can then tell her how severe her crohn's is at the moment. If it is left out of control it can cause life threatening problems, which it did with me.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Some people swear by the recommendations in Elaine Gottschall's Breaking the Vicious Cycle. The eating regime recommended is quite strict, but the claim is that after possibly a couple of years that one can reintroduce just about all foods.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

I also have Crohns. Its nothing to play around with. Its a very serious disease. No alternative meds will help. She needs to be under the care of a good gastrologist. I have had 3 rescetions so far. diet doesn't much matter.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:17 PM   #6
(male)

Michaelbuble HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenandcats
I also have Crohns. Its nothing to play around with. Its a very serious disease. No alternative meds will help. She needs to be under the care of a good gastrologist. I have had 3 rescetions so far. diet doesn't much matter.
She sees one and they have done tests and all they said it's not serious enough to warrant surgery. But for the record, have the operations helped you at all?

Old 12-12-2006, 02:55 PM   #7
(male)

Tufacody HB User

I also have Crohns. I was diagnosed at 28 and I am now 40.

I have never had the surgery, as I've never been convinced that the problems and complications most people have after surgery are better than just dealing with the Crohns. I have been seriously hospitalized twice with this disease. The first time they wanted to cut, and I said NO. The doctor said we could wait a few days to see if the meds would help, but after that I may have no choice. Luckily, the meds did work. I also had to have an abscess removed once from MY *** once, and I can tell you now that is NO FUN.

Dealing with Crohn's is very difficult, but after 10 years with the disease, you kind of get used to it. After a while, a certain level of pain and discomfort becomes "normal". If you decide against the surgery, like I have, you just kind of accept that this is life and you work it in to your life as much as you can. As a lawyer, I left my firm and started a solo practice. I did this so I could manage my own schedule without feeling guilty for taking a few sick days here and there. I know where all the bathrooms are in the local stores, and I know where all the rest stops are on I-94. I've learned to cope. But it often means making major changes in your life.

As far as meds, I've tried them all, and I mean all. I'm sorry to say that for me, prednisone is the only drug that provides any relief to the Crohns, although in larger doses it presents LOTS of its own problems. After years of taking all sort of drugs w/o relief, I've now limited my daily drug intake to 5 mg of prednisone, 1 trazadone (sleeping is a ***** with Crohns), 1 amitriptyline, 1 calcium pill (prednisone prevents calcium absorbtion), and 1 folic acid. I've been on these dosages for the last two years, and find it just as effective as all the other crap I've been on. No amount of prednisone is "safe" over a long period of time, but 5 mg isn't much more than your body makes naturally anyway, so I consider it an acceptable risk.

As far as food is concerned, I've just about given up trying to find out what causes problems and what doesn't. I suggest you DON'T read the books about it. I've read books all contradicting what the other says is acceptable.
In the end, all I've learned is that eating large amounts of food at one time is far more uncomfortable than eating a little bit of the "wrong" thing. Frankly, I don't think any food makes the disease worse, it just may exacerbate the diarrea during a flare. Nevertheless, I have found that extremely fatty foods are always problematic, as can be caffiene. Regrettably, beer IS a very bad food for me. Anything that causes gas can make a Crohns gut hurt all the more.

Also, do not confuse Crohns with IBD. People that have IBD may have it for any number of reasons, including poor mental health. I can't tell you how frustrating it was when I was first diagnosed to always have people telling me I need to relax, try meditation, get a less stressful job. BAH! Crohn's does not work that way. I could be on a tropical island with 10 beautiful naked natives waving palm fronds at me and I'd still have to run to the tiki-lieu at the drop of a hat. Crohn's is an immune response to an unknown antigen, it is NOT caused by stress or otherwise poor mental or physical health. IBD can be caused by those things, so naturally eating better will make you feel better, and voila, no IBD. Crohn's don't work that way.

One more thing. I strongly urge all Crohn's people to exercise as mush as possible. This is for two reasons: 1)For some reason, I NEVER have urgency when I'm playing basketball or tennis. I definitely think it helps reduce the symptoms; and 2) Crohn's will land you in the hospital every now and then, and being in good physical shape may be the difference between how fast you recover and whether you wind up with a bag strapped to your side. Staying thin also opens up the door for laproscopic surgery, if necessary, which is far less invasive than traditional surgery.

Finally, let me say this. In my book, anyone who is willing to be in a serious relationship with a Crohnnie is a marverous example of a truly good human. Let me tell you, we can suck to live with, especially if on higher doses of prednisone. But I can honestly say that my disease has made me appreciate my wife and kids all the more. It seems weird to say that I'm "proud" to be a Crohnnie, but man I've overcome a lot and I'm still fighting the good fight. With the right support and attitude, so will your GF. Peace.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

Hi Tuf

You are lucky to have escaped surgery. Im my case and many others, unfortunately surgery is the only option, i had severe narrowing, so bad that fluids couldn't pass through my small bowel. I was in constant pain every day and bed ridden for months.

I tried the meds, including steroids as i didn't want surgery, but none helped, in the end i had it done and the biopsy showed extensive narrowing, full of ulcers and growths.

I agree with the food, nine times out of ten, diets don't help. And many people with Crohn's have to work out what makes it worse for them. This can work in some people, but unfortunately it didn't with me.

Crohn's is classed as IBD, inflammatory bowel disease, as it inflames the area to which is affected by the crohn's. Also, i have found that stress did make my crohn's worse.

I agree with when you said it has made you appreciate your family more. I am the same, i appreciate every bit of time i get to spend with them and everything in general about them. It's hard work living with someone with crohn's and when a person has the support they need it makes the crohn's much more managable.

I wish you luck with the horrible disease, and i do hope you remain away from the operating table.

Sharon

Old 12-14-2006, 11:33 AM   #9
(male)

Tufacody HB User

Yes Sharon, you are correct that not everyone is as lucky as me regarding surgery. The poster has indicated that his GF does not warrant surgery at this point either.

Thus, I think the best this person can do is to stay in the best physical health they can so as to avoid surgery in the future. I do think that physically fit people recover much faster from flares and have a reduced risk for needing the surgery. From what I've heard from people, if you can avoid surgery you should. My doctor told me ten years ago I would need the surgery like it or not, and so far I have ten years of proving him wrong. But that doesn't mean that someday it might not be a reality I'll have to face. Some people just don't have a choice.

BTW, Northwestern Hospital in Chicago does offer a chance at a "cure". They have a program there that basically consists of eliminating your entire immune sytem through complete destruction of white blood cells through chemotherapy. They then inject you with your own cultured stem cells and you grow back a "new" immune system that does not react to the unknow antigen that causes Crohns. Naturally this is a risky procedure, but it is one I tried to get into. I was rejected because my conditions were not "bad enough" to warrant the procedure. It is my understanding that a large percentage of people who have undergone this procedure remain in 100% remission, but some people did get symptoms back. Too early to tell if the procedure results in a 100% cure for those who it works for, but so far it looks like the most promising chance of a cure.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
(male)

coyote41 HB User
Smile Re: Crohn's diease natural cures/treatments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelbuble View Post
My GF is suffering from this and it's so bad she can barely take the subway to my house any more. She is seriously ready to take control of it and I am going tomorrow to get her some Probiontics I heard were very useful in managing it.

Also she is going to stay away from dairy and refined sugar, but I was hoping anyone that has it on this board can give us some tips or suggestions as to what they do?
I have had Crohn's for 48 years and have had several surgeries. I have 15" of my small intestine, and half the left side of my large intestine has been removed. It seemed that no one knew what to do so I suffered in silence for about 15 years then a new Dr. came to town and he got me going on different meds until we found one that worked (kinda) I am now on Immuran and Lomotil and together they work pretty good. I eat no cabbage, no broccilli, no caulliflower , no alcohol, milk only on cereal, very little garlic, (that's the tough one) very little onion. Other than that I seem to manage, soda pop isn't too bad so I do drink some of that. and lots of lemonade. I trust this has been a bit helpful

Old 12-29-2011, 02:31 AM   #11
(female)

sunny89 HB User

Tell her to drinking plenty of water. Caffeinated beverages should be avoided. Omega-3 fatty acids is important. Take Potassium-rich Foods for eg. potatoes, avocados, and bananas.

Closed Thread