It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
(female)

Sgibbs HB User
Crohn's Disease

It drives me crazy that there really isn't a place for Crohn's Disease on these boards! I've been a member since May '06 and I haven't visited in awhile. In that time, I can't seem to find the old threads I had posted on before.

Anyway, I was diagnosed with Crohn's (finally) this past November. My doctors started me with Bentyl for the cramping and Budesonide to treat the Crohn's. After 2 months, that hasn't helped. So, as of yesterday, I was switched to Pentasa.

Has anyone had any success for treating Crohn's? If so, with what medications? I'm still having a difficult time adjusting to living with Crohn's and any/all advice, suggestions, etc would be helpful. OR, if there are any other Crohn's threads, I'd appreciate a link!

Thanks
-Sherri

Old 01-20-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
(male)

Electricchild HB User
Re: Crohn's Disease

I am suffering from Crohn's just like you. And I am fearful of my lifestyle in the future. I had an abscess that formed in August, and my colorectal surgeon drained it and put seton tubes in it. After that was finished, the healing process was very, VERY slow, due to the Crohn's. My gastroenterologist prescribed Entocort first, which is a mild drug used to treat the disease, but for months of taking it, it has had little to no effect on me. The infection is still there, and they are going to use a last resort treatment called remicade. My infusion is scheduled for tomorrow. Apparently it's a gastroenterologist's final solution before doing more surgery.

So, if you see your doctor, hopefully he has talked to you about the possibility of drugs such as entocort, prendizone, and Remicade to treat your Crohn's disease. Each one being successively more potent.

Last edited by Electricchild; 01-20-2007 at 01:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
(female)

Sgibbs HB User

Hi there,

Thanks for posting.
I actually started out on Budesonide, which is Endocort. (Endocort is the generic version). I was on Budesonide for 2 months without any changes at all.

They just switched me to Pentasa (along with Bentyl for cramping) but I'm having such a difficult time. The Pentasa is making me EXTREMELY nauseous. I'm hoping that I get used to it and that will end.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
(female)

hllspawn HB User

Hey guys!! Yay, more Crohn's people!! Not that I'm happy we are all suffering, but it is good to know there are a few of us out there. I have been on pentasa for about three months now and it is only now starting to work for me. It appearently takes a very long time to become effective, so try not to get discouraged if it doesn't work right away. Good luck to all!

Closed Thread