It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
(female)

MaryG1959 HB User
Ulcerative Colitis---recent diagnosis

Anyone else w/ulcerative colitis? I was just diagnosed about 1 1/2 weeks ago. While I appreciate the weight loss---the constant bowel movements are driving me nuts...not to mention the 3 hr naps (wont work tomorrow when I go to the office!)..I go back to the docs on Friday---just wondering what the "next likely step" might be.

Anyone else?

MaryG1959

Old 05-31-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
(female)

MaryG1959 HB User
Re: Ulcerative Colitis---recent diagnosis

anyone have an experiences to share?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
(female)

majsqaa HB User

I also have UC. It's very scary when you are first diagnoised!! Everyone has different symptoms, different levels of severity, different triggers, and different treatment. It's easy to feel overwhelmed! Have you started any treatment yet?

Last edited by moderator2; 05-31-2007 at 01:06 PM. Reason: posting any kind of information to find websites is cause to be banned

Old 05-31-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
(female)

MaryG1959 HB User

Thanks for the reply, I'll definately look for some boards regarding UC. I was just diagnosed and go to the docs tomorrow for my 2 week follow up. Yes seeing loads of blood is always scarey.....I was worried that it was cancer---

It is weird, I've been in weight watchers, eating all the things they 'tell you' are good for you and all those tomatoes etc may have been what triggered it (who knows!).

I hope the doc will give me something to keep it under control, for the past two weeks I've been having 6 to 8 BM's a day----no fun when you work full time!!

Thanks for your reply.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
(male)

421g HB User

hay check out this book it helped me out alot of good info (tissue cleansing through bowel management ) i hope that this can be some help good book about dite health.421

Old 05-31-2007, 01:28 PM   #6
(female)

majsqaa HB User

I don't really know yet what my food triggers are...I just can't seem to tell. I was just dianosed in Nov, so I'm still pretty new to this too. I used to eat WAY better than I do now, lots of fruits and veggies, but I don't even crave that now...the thought of all the ruffage is scary. Right now I stick to pretty bland foods, probably too many carbs, and avoid caffiene. I was diagnosised while have a major allergic reaction to the MMR so getting that under control was a priority, but the same meds helped the UC. I've had a colonoscopy but haven't actually talked to a GI (it takes forever to get an appointment here unless you are dying...) but will in about a week. Right now, I seem to be fairly normal, only going once a day and it's actually solid! My stomach in general doesn't feel great...but some of that is probably worry and paranoia!
I also noticed from your other posts that you have arthritis...did they tell you that can be related to the UC? I awful sore, swollen joints when I was having a UC flare--yet I was testing negative for arthritis. I couldn't open a bottle on my own for weeks!
Good luck at your appointment--hope they can help you out!

Old 05-31-2007, 05:52 PM   #7
(female)

MaryG1959 HB User

until i started reading about uc, i never realized joint paint was associated. theere are times getting out of bed and putting my feet on the floor is painful. I had a big meeting yesterday at work and was n my feet for 10 hrs, this morning when I woke up my feet and legs still hurt! Yes I'm hoping the doc has some info to help me tomorrow.

Mary

Old 06-01-2007, 06:38 AM   #8
(female)

majsqaa HB User

I hope your appointment went well. If you don't mind, let me know if had anything interesting to say. I am trying to learn as much as I can so mine doesn't get out of control ever. Thanks!

Old 06-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
(female)

MaryG1959 HB User

Ok now I'm totally confused. Doc said I don't have ulcerative colitis, probably the colitis was caused by a bacterial infection....so I told her the nurse mentioned I had ulcerative colitis---she said "that is because you have ulcers in your colon!"

Anyway, I have to go back in six weeks for a flex sigmoidoscopy and in the mean time she said I could eat whatever I wanted and didn't have to take any meds.

So, should I find a new doc?

Old 06-04-2007, 10:46 AM   #10
(female)

majsqaa HB User

It probably wouldn't hurt. My GI said "colitis" too (when I had the colonoscopy) and I haven't had any further appointments. I assumed ulcerative colitis b/c my mom had it and that's what the meds he gave me are for. My ruemy actually kinda doubts it though...very confusing. I have an appointment with a different GI June 11 (been waiting 6 months!). I actually don't have any symptoms and didn't really before being diagnosed. I was on steriods for the MMR allergic reaction and the first time (and second) I came off is when I had the diarrhea. At the time I was inflammed EVERYWHERE...including my kidneys, stomach, plus all the swollen body parts. So I am not even sure if I have been correctly diagnosed. But, I will say that my mom stuck with the same doctor for a couple years, with continuing symptoms, and he didn't correctly diagnose her. She ended up in the ER, then at Mayo, and it was too late, she had to have her colon removed. Since then I strongly believe in getting a second opinion!!! Especially if you are still having symptoms. Her's was really bad though so hopefully we can avoid that! I will definitely let you know what my GI says (I am thinking it might be another colonoscopy...I'm too young, how unfair!). It's great to have someone to talk to though! Thanks!

Closed Thread