It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
(female)

yvette84 HB User
Question help for ulcerative colitis?

How can you help ulcerative colitis? I know people say "eat right" but that's not enough! are thee any meds or treatment that have helped anyone???

Old 07-13-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: help for ulcerative colitis?

One would have to see a doctor and be prescribed medications. First-line is 5ASA meds, oral and rectal.

Is it you who has it or someone else?

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2007, 12:00 AM   #3
(female)

yvette84 HB User

my bf. nothing has helped him. the doc just gives him levsin and bentyl but they don't work.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
(female)

going2thebeach1 HB User
Smile Re: help for ulcerative colitis?

I've found that the steroid enemas (hydrocortizone) work the best! Right now I'm also on pregnizone, but I think it's really the enemas that are making a BIG difference. If you haven't tried them, I would def. ask you doc.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Did the doc say your boyfriend has colitis or ulcerative colitis?

Is he seeing a gastrointestinal doctor? or is it just the GP?

How long has he had it?

What symptoms is he having?

Bentyl and levsin are both antispasmodics...if he indeed has ulcerative colitis, he should be on medications to stop the inflammation by treatment, and then meds for maintenance.

What meds before has he been on? I wouldn't suggest prednisone before he's had any of the 5ASA meds...both oral and rectal.

Where in the colon is his UC.....limited or throughout?

Does your boyfriend want to be on meds....or is it that you want him to be on meds? What does he think of his lack of treatment?

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 07-14-2007 at 11:59 PM.

Closed Thread