It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
(female)

CameronR HB User
Ulcerative Colitis

I am asking for help from anyone that has been through this battle. My sister is currently in the hospital for the 3rd time in about 8 weeks due to this condition. She was so weak when she went in this time she could barely hold herself up to walk. She went in asking for the surgical option but the surgical team has talked her out of it for right now. They found out that the meds the dr. sent her home with last time had an error from the pharmacy on instructions. She was to be taking 3 pills, 3 times a day. The bottle said take 3 pills daily. She was only getting 1/3 of the meds he prescribed. They have said her case is severe, but this time have down graded to moderate so that's a good sign.
When she is in the hospital and on IV steroids she starts doing well, but when she goes home she quickly goes downhill again. We are hoping that since the discovery of the error that this time the meds will work. They are also talking about doing the Remicaid treatment again. But if this doesn't work this time, I think they will start processing the surgical options.
Any help anyone would be willing to offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Cameron

Old 09-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
(female)

irene63 HB User
Red face Re: Ulcerative Colitis

Dear Cameron.
Was your sister a smoker ? .
I have been trying to quit for 12 years but when I do I get sick , this time I have been without smoking for 9 months and have been bleeding for 4 months , just found out that smokers do not get ulcerative colitis ! and ex smokers get it worst of all , controversial treatment is patches or like I have had to start smoking again , I only smoke 4 a day , when I resumed smoking bleeding stopped within 48 hours .
Go to yahoo and type in ulcerative colitis and nicotine , it is even said non smokers will benifit from patches ,2mg .
Not the best of news but if she is desperate may be worth a try .
Irene

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread