It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
(female)

crm777 HB User
Lightbulb crohn's disease..living with crohn's

my husband has crohn's disease, and we were wondering how many people with crohn's find themselves able to work and what type of work do you do?? my husband has been a commerical truck driver for 25 years, we wonder if this occupation will be one that will continue with the crohn's. thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
(male)

JtMac24 HB User
Re: crohn's disease..living with crohn's

I feel for your husband. I have lived with Crohn's since approx. 1977. I lost 60 lbs over a period between '77 and '83 trying to cure the disease with various "natural" remedies including so many diets I can't count plus psychological counseling, acupuncture, hypnotism, "Rolf-ing", and other such nonsense. I finally went on traditional cortizone treatments (10 mg daily)which gave me some minor relief, but cortizone is a terrible drug. In 1983 I had three surgeries for agonizing rectal abscesses, fissures & a fistulaectomy that left my butt disfigured. The pain went away and I discovered that antibiotics quieted my Crohn's. But I stayed on cortizone based on my doctor's advice. I finally went on a regime of erythromycine (250 mg) daily for about 6 months in the mid '90's and it worked. Because of the antibiotics my Crohn's has been in remission for 10 years. And I've been medicine-free for that entire time. I'm now having a bout for the past couple months and I may need surgery again to repair an old stricture, but I feel positive that the worst is in the past.

Keep trying to beat this disease. Don't give up. I hope you can find the right combination to win. I feel I did, even though I am still dealing with it daily. It's a horrible way to live. But there are millions of people who do.

I work for the gov't. I have a sedintary job, not like your husband's. I manage software development, so I have the opportunity to get to the toilet when I need. But, I have an active avocation - I am collegiate men's lacrosse referee and I have coached HS teams for over 30 years - all during the time of the worst part of my Crohn's battle. Exercise for me works.

Regardless of what helps him, your husband needs your UNCONDITIONAL support. I would not have made it without my wife. She's a physical therapist, so her training helped her deal with me and my lunacy. During the depths of my disease, I was a terrible person to live with. The pain was agonizing, but dealing with Crohn's daily is a difficult task, even pain-free.

I wish him well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
(female)

stormee11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtMac24 View Post
I feel for your husband. I have lived with Crohn's since approx. 1977. I lost 60 lbs over a period between '77 and '83 trying to cure the disease with various "natural" remedies including so many diets I can't count plus psychological counseling, acupuncture, hypnotism, "Rolf-ing", and other such nonsense. I finally went on traditional cortizone treatments (10 mg daily)which gave me some minor relief, but cortizone is a terrible drug. In 1983 I had three surgeries for agonizing rectal abscesses, fissures & a fistulaectomy that left my butt disfigured. The pain went away and I discovered that antibiotics quieted my Crohn's. But I stayed on cortizone based on my doctor's advice. I finally went on a regime of erythromycine (250 mg) daily for about 6 months in the mid '90's and it worked. Because of the antibiotics my Crohn's has been in remission for 10 years. And I've been medicine-free for that entire time. I'm now having a bout for the past couple months and I may need surgery again to repair an old stricture, but I feel positive that the worst is in the past.

Keep trying to beat this disease. Don't give up. I hope you can find the right combination to win. I feel I did, even though I am still dealing with it daily. It's a horrible way to live. But there are millions of people who do.

I work for the gov't. I have a sedintary job, not like your husband's. I manage software development, so I have the opportunity to get to the toilet when I need. But, I have an active avocation - I am collegiate men's lacrosse referee and I have coached HS teams for over 30 years - all during the time of the worst part of my Crohn's battle. Exercise for me works.

Regardless of what helps him, your husband needs your UNCONDITIONAL support. I would not have made it without my wife. She's a physical therapist, so her training helped her deal with me and my lunacy. During the depths of my disease, I was a terrible person to live with. The pain was agonizing, but dealing with Crohn's daily is a difficult task, even pain-free.

I wish him well.

Hi. Our daughter in law has Crohn's. It was very aggressive, and she underwent several surgeries, but she is now in remission. Throughout her ordeal, she continued to work. She owned her own beauty shop. Now she works for her family owned business. There are two pro football players who have Crohn's, a pro golfer, President Eisenhouer had it. Shannon Dougherty, the actress has it, Hubert Humphry, Queen Elizabeth's mother who lived to be 100, and many more famous people. Just to let you know that people with Crohn's work in all different areas. I hope your husband does well. He will need lots of encouragement, and can look forward to the day he goes into remission. I hope I have given you some encouragement. God Bless both of you.

Last edited by stormee11; 09-28-2007 at 03:45 PM. Reason: mispelling

Old 09-28-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
(female)

stormee11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormee11 View Post
Hi. Our daughter in law has Crohn's. It was very aggressive, and she underwent several surgeries, but she is now in remission. Throughout her ordeal, she continued to work. She owned her own beauty shop. Now she works for her family owned business. There are two pro football players who have Crohn's, a pro golfer, President Eisenhouer had it. Shannon Dougherty, the actress has it, Hubert Humphry, Queen Elizabeth's mother who lived to be 100, and many more famous people. Just to let you know that people with Crohn's work in all different areas. I hope your husband does well. He will need lots of encouragement, and can look forward to the day he goes into remission. I hope I have given you some encouragement. God Bless both of you.

Closed Thread