It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2007, 05:07 AM   #1
(female)

marypar HB User
Ulcerative colitis and crohn's disease

My husband had the pull through surgery for ulcerative colitis about 15 years ago. He has the J pouch. He had some stomach issues this week and went to the gasto and he saw an ulcer in or by the pouch and is testing him for crohn's. It can just be pouchitis. Did anyone here ever hear of someone having both diseases? My husband is so nervous he can't go to work. Any advice/input would help.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:31 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User
Re: Ulcerative colitis and crohn's disease

UC and Crohn's are very similar diseases. Both are inflammatory disorders, but UC is only in the colon and Crohn's can be anywhere from the mouth to the anus. I've always thought them to be the same expect for the location, but I may be interpreting the information I am reading wrong. I hope the paste below helps some. I hope your husband gets well fast.

From the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America's web site
"Ulcerative colitis differs from another inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), Crohn's disease. Crohn's can affect any area of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, including the small intestine and colon. Ulcerative colitis, on the other hand, affects only the colon. The inflammation involves the entire rectum and extends up the colon in a continuous manner. There are no areas of normal intestine between the areas of diseased intestine. In contrast, such so-called "skip" areas may occur in Crohn's disease. Ulcerative colitis affects only the innermost lining of the colon, whereas Crohn's disease can affect the entire thickness of the bowel wall."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2007, 06:06 AM   #3
(female)

marypar HB User

thank you zoegirl. I just wanted to know how common it is to have both. I thought it was very rare to get both.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

My guess is he probably had Crohn's all along.

I just had an appt with a new Gastro and two years ago I was told I had crohn's.. today he said it was more likely to be UC (tests were ordered). UC is in the lining and Crohn's can go all the way through the bowel wall.

Good luck to your husband and your quest for answers!

Cheri

Old 11-28-2007, 12:51 AM   #5
(male)

bcbud HB User

Please get enterric coated fish oil capsules. Enterric coated omega 3 will sooth and heal the lesions. Heavy doses at first like 300 mg every 4 hours and do this for a number of days. As you feel better you can take a lot less. Finding the product is a bit hard but it is out there. It must be ENTERRIC coated.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
(female)

juujuubug HB User

my daughteer was diagonised with crohn's this aug she turn 12 in oct her gast. doc did biopsas to see which 1 but when he did the colon scope he pretty much knew it was crohn good luck with your husband my daughter now has to take 11 pills a day good luck

Old 04-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

I have known of a couple people on a different forum that have both diseases. It IS possible, but very rare.

It could also be Crohn's colitis.

ZoeGirl: what tests did they do before to dx you with CD? Just wondering why they didn't think UC before...

Old 04-16-2008, 02:24 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

I just saw this post.
They did a colonoscopy and by my symptoms treated me of Crohn's. I was better a couple of years before problems again. Went to a new gastro who then suspected UC. Turns out it wasn't either. My gallbladder wasn't functioning so they removed it. I had a rough recovery but I think I am finally getting better.

Oh and I also have some gastritis and "non specific colitis" but neither seem to bother me.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

My mom just had her gallbladder out. She feels much better, too. I don't have any upper right pain, though.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

I didn't have any right sided pain either. All lower abdominal and left side.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

I am pretty confused. Hopefully soon I will get it figured out. I am pretty sure I do NOT have UC, so it's just now the question of: do I have CD? A couple more tests & I should know for sure... hopefully...

Old 04-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

I was told that I didn't have crohn's with this new gastro because of a blood test available that didn't show markers ? I guess they didn't have it when I went a couple years ago. So right off the bat they told me I didn't have Crohn's. I had a tearing feeling and blood/mucus on my stools at first, but then it progressed to cramping that left me crying most days.. which is when they found the gallbladder.. they ordered a HIDA scan just for the heck of it... he didn't even think that was the problem. I'm still not 100% and we thought maybe I had something on top of the GB but I'm riding it out for a while. I have discomfort but not pain, so as far as I am concerned I am feeling pretty well.

I hope you feel better soon. Seems like you have many things going on at once!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:59 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

I think that's the problem. Too many symptoms, no one knows what is related to what.

I am having the blood test, but I was told it was NOT 100%, so originally they didn't want me to have it, due to cost. But now they are trying to figure it out so I guess I am going to have it. I did have colitis in my first scope, but this one seemed normal with no ulcers this time, so I am just waiting for the biopsies to come back to know for sure. She said I will take the blood test next if biopsies don't show anything & we will go from there. She said it may just be a bacterial infection that made me really really sick. (for 10+ months!) But I had a small bowel follow through that showed inflammation, so who knows. I don't know if a bacterial infection would show that as well? But right now I am just guessing.... I have to wait & see on this one.

Then I have fluid in my ear & mastoid sinus that won't go away. Constant muffled sounds & fluid moving sounds, popping & discomfort. I finally am going to an ENT to get rid of this.

I also had ovarian cyst issues. Just had laproscopic surgery & hysteroscopy D&C 2 weeks ago. The big cyst was gone by then. All female parts look fine. But no explanation on why I had my period for 6 weeks... I am waiting on this one as well... I have to wait & see how this next period goes & if I have constant bleeding again to see this pans out. If I still bleed, I will be leaning towards a thyroid issue.

Then I have a rib that is subluxed where it connects to my spine. I have had this for months as well. I wish my osteo could get it back in. I have been having steroid injections in it & that has helped, but I want it to go away...

Now I am having this horrible pelvis, hip, SI, & low back pain. I am going to pick my osteo's brain about this in 2 weeks.

So maybe the biopsies will tell me more. Maybe I don't have IBD like my GI thought!!!

Closed Thread