It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 06:10 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User
Crohn's or Colitis????.......IBD..... NO diarrhea....

Hello to my fellow pain in the a-- friends on this board....

I have been having problems for a while, since June. I am normally a constipated person, but since then have been going every day, sometimes up to 5 times a day. I have lost 45 lbs. This all began after a very severe kidney infection. I tested positive for a fecal occult blood test (hidden blood in the stool) and started to take notice & look at my stool after going. I noticed blood a few times, in the stool. It used to be difficult for me to go, constantly constipated, going maybe twice a week, so I thought everything was finally good with my bowels. When the doctors were thinking colon cancer (with all the weight loss & my brother being diagnosed at the same time with pancreatic cancer), I thought they were crazy. I thought I was going #2 very well! Well, I had a colonoscopy & EGD done at the same time (NEVER do that–I was sick for a week!!) & found that I ulcers & inflammation of my colon. The surgeon thought colitis. The biopsies came back "focal active colitis" with mild edema in the transverse/descending colon, and "Focal Active Colitis" with mild crypt distortion and mild edema in the rectum/sigmoid colon. I was told it would go away after a month on azulfidine. As soon as that month was over, I lost another 10 lbs. So they put me back on it. My osteo said he was thinking Crohn's, some sort of IBD. I thought I had already been diagnosed! I am confused... Then my mom talked to her gastro about it & she thinks it's Crohn's, too. I couldn't believe it when I got the script filled & I have 5 refills!!! Am I going to have to take this forever??? UGh...

Please respond if you have any info. I do NOT have diarrhea or anything, just weight loss & I feel like crap, tired & such. I also have pain in my left rib, but they think that is due to a rib out of joint, so not related.

How do they tell if it's Crohn's as opposed to Colitis? Can't it just go away?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
(male)

ctbo HB User
Re: Crohn's or Colitis????.......IBD..... NO diarrhea....

did you find out yet?

Last edited by ctbo; 01-10-2008 at 09:07 PM.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:55 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

No I have not. I have to see a gastro, I haven't yet. Everything is pointing to crohn's....

Old 01-11-2008, 07:47 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ZoeGirl HB User

Have they taken blood to test for Crohn's? There are markers now they can look for. I was told I had Crohn's two years ago but now told I don't because I don't carry the markers.

Mine is now thought to be gyn related.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

No, I haven't. I haven't been in to see the gastro yet. I have been pretty ill. Like I have the flu. I never had diarrhea before, not sure what is going on. I am really bloated too. Food not digesting... I see lettuce & stuff in the toilet. So gross, I know. Not sure what to do. I feel so ill, but I guess I have to wait for 2 weeks to see my pcp so I can get a referral to a gastro....

I would love any suggestions or ideas... I am running out of gas on this...

Old 01-11-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Forgot to mention... my doc changed my script from norco to darvocet due to the fact that the norco wasn't digesting. It was showing up in my stool.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

No, I don't have diarrhea most of the time. Maybe because I am on narcotic pain meds that sometimes cause constipation??? I just had my pain meds switched to Darvocet & initially I had diarrhea for 2 days, but it has firmed up again. I emailed a gastro online who said it is important for me to see a gastro, I either have an enzyme problem or everything is moving too fast through the GI tract. He said not sure if I have Crohn's or Colitis, but you CAN have an IBD such as UC or CD WITHOUT having diarrhea.

I have also been having this yellow-transparent jelly like stuff (mucous?) in my stool. I also feel like I have to go constantly & have been having numerous BMs—sometimes 6+ times a day. I have seen small amounts of blood still.

I am worried due to the dizziness & fatigue & black-outs (I am not sure if you would really call it a black out, it's just where I can't see for a few minutes, not where I really pass out or anything.) & such. I still have the palpitations, too.

Any ideas?

Old 02-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Went to the GI yesterday. She said I have an IBD. Just not sure if it's CD or UC. My WBC count has been high for the last few weeks & the GI said that was due to inflammation from the IBD.

I have now lost 50 lbs. & have bouts of nausea & loose stools. I have had to reeive IV fluids a couple of times due to dehydration. Also had low potassium. I feel the urge for BMs constantly & have urgency in the morning so much that it will wake me up. I haven't seen much blood lately, but have had it shown on my stool in the past, just not often & not that much.

I had the small bowel follow through today. It was not fun. The barium moved through to my large bowel in 30 minutes, but there was a pool of it in my lower right side & they kept doing x-rays to see if it would move so they could get better pictures. The radiologist said it is still a toss up between UC & CD & that the small bowel didn't look too bad. I am to call my GI in a couple of days to get the results. What makes the barium move through the bowels so fast?

Old 03-11-2008, 03:30 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

ZoeGirl: That is interesting because I have of late been having GYN problems & am being referred to an ob-gyn. I do have a couple ovarian cysts that they have been watching, but my GI said that my pain is NOT due to the cysts, but due to the IBD. She is SURE I have IBD, just not sure if it's CD or UC. I go for another colonoscopy in 6 weeks. I had a small bowel series which showed what they believe is inflammation in the area of the cecum/ileum. This makes me believe that it is crohn's but not for sure. My colonoscopy that was done in October did not look at the cecum/iluem or do a biopsy of that area (that's why I have to have it done AGAIN.) So what were your gyn issues?

My GI did not think I should do the blood test due to the cost & the fact that it is not always accurate.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

I have to have a colonoscopy to look for colitis, what is the procedure like? im dreading it

Closed Thread