It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
(female)

debbiebee HB User
Colitis, but not ulcerative colitis?

I just got word this morning that my colonoscopy tests showed some inflammation, indicating "mild colitis." My doctor added that it was NOT ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease. He also said that the symptoms should be treated with over-the-counter meds, and that nothing else is required right now.

After a horrible day (intestine-wise), I came home to look up what this means. I can't find anything on the internet about colitis that isn't ulcerative colitis. What does this diagnosis mean?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
(female)

bcd64 HB User
Re: Colitis, but not ulcerative colitis?

I just got basically the same disgnosis - did you ever get any more information on what this means exactly?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2008, 01:51 AM   #3
(male)

ctbo HB User

join the club my gastro told me I have inflammed intestines and thats all he told me.Do you get the runs alot at all?I feel like they just dont care about us and the problems we all have because the gastro docs are so busy I feel like a number.let me know how you make out.god bless.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:58 PM   #4
(male)

marky1956 HB User

Here is a great article on what you may be experiencing. My colonoscopy today (which came out clean) included biposies for colitis:

(Web Link Removed)

I hope I'm allowed to post the link, it may help those suffering from chronic diahrea (as I have been for 7+ weeks now).

Last edited by moderator4; 06-25-2008 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Posting web links on Healthboards is not allowed. Read the Posting Policy

Old 06-26-2008, 08:58 AM   #5
(female)

Molly Mc HB User

Same here they told me I a mild colitis, and that was all. Put me on antibiotics for 10days which bothered me, but I am off them now. Today I am having some acid reflux, I do not want even a mild case of colitis again. What OTC did your doctor say would clean the colitis up. If you find info at all let me know.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

I just wanted to let you know my story.... I became sick a year ago after a kidney infection & 3 weeks of antibiotics.... I was losing weight like crazy. Tons of tests later, I had a hemoccult test which was positive. I had scopes in October which showed small ulcers. The biopsy said I had focal active colitis, mild colitis the doctors told me. I was put on azulfidine 500mg, 3 x a day. I went off it & began losing weight again. Another doctor said I needed to get back on it, so I did. A bit more weight was still lost, more tests ordered & I was sent to a GI. This GI said I probably had IBD, either ulcerative colitis or crohn's disease. I had a small bowel follow thru which showed an area of concern, but no strictures or anything. I was put on 20mg of prednisone daily. When the time came for the c-scope by my new GI, nothing was found, although I am still having frequent stools. I was told that I have infectious colitis induced IBS. Possibly C. diff. But my stool cultures & tests are negative for c.diff now.

Hope that explains the type of colitis that you can have while not having ulcerative colitis. It is possible.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

I can't quite understand my diagnosis, either. GE never mentioned "ulcerative" colitis, only colitis, period.

When I 1st went about my lower abdomen, he agreed it sounded like it could be the C. Diff kind - which would be called pseudomembranous colitis.

However, stools and biopsies said I don't have C. Diff, so I was told "colitis", period.

I didn't think to ask if he meant the big deal of ulcerative or not, or if there is some other version.

I could ask my uncle and aunt who are in medicine.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:45 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

I would recommend getting all your medical records. That way you have the biopsy results & everything. You can get infectious colitis without it being c.diff that caused it by the way....

Old 07-03-2008, 06:44 AM   #9
(female)

footsiedee HB User

hukleberrie, are you still on the prednisone? and you say the 'scope' showed ulcers.?
my brother has/had?? ulcerative colitis , digestive problems since his 20's, 20 years on the prednisone. he is now 53. the docs did not tell him about the nasty side effects of the drug. he finally had the operation 10 yrs ago, and wished he had it years earlier, as he has finally gained weight, no longer rail thin, not on the prednisone. but must take medicine to rebuild his bone density as you lose bone mass from taking the steroid (prednisone). and supplement with calcium maybe so then stones become a problem so it is merry go round. i encourage anyone on this medicine to grill their doctors about what this disease is, and about the prednisone. it also helps to get info from pharmacists, they are a good compliment to the doctors info.
as for 'ulcers', i was told there are lesions or ulcers in the intestine which interfere with the body's ability to absorb the nutrients, hence the weight loss and diarrhea.....Wikipedia has a pretty good description of all the inflammatory bowel diseases..i just typed in 'Colitis'

Last edited by footsiedee; 07-03-2008 at 06:45 AM. Reason: changed a work

Old 07-03-2008, 07:02 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

I am not on prednisone. The uclers were found in October. (first scope) I took azulfidine for a couple months but began losing weight again. Saw the GI who then put me on prednisone also. I did realize the side effects but was looking for some relief. I was able to get off the prednisone after only 2 1/2 months.

I have looked up all the different forms of colitis. After this last scope in April, the GI said I was all clear. NO colitis. Just IBS now. ???

So that is where I have left it. Now my doctor seems to think that fast transit time is my problem, so he has put me on amitripyline to slow me down, and hopefully help with my joint pain.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

My wife is currently going through a flare-up of her Colitis, since losing her father about three months ago, the stress brought it back. Her GI doctor had put her on Endocort EC for two months and then had her come off the medication. She is still having some problems of generally not feeling well and having some pain and nausea in her stomach. The GI Doc thinks she may have IBS as well as the Colitis.

Her Colitis was originally diagnosed two years ago when she got very ill, with diarrhea and throwing up at the same time. The Doc did a Colonoscopy and fortunately had enough insight to do a biopsy when he was doing it. Hers turned out to be Microscopic Colitis and could only be verified under a microscope. It was diagnosed by the Pathologist here and also at the University of Washington Department of Medicine. She was hospitalized four times in a two month period before they finally put her on IV Prednisone and she responded to that. She was off work for three months with it.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

I had biopsies with both c-scopes, the first one showed Focal Active Colitis, one with Mild Crypt Distortion (that I was originally told meant IBD), but now with the second scope, the GI said the biopsies came back clear. I have not seen the biopsy results with my own eyes to know for sure, but I do believe her.

I actually have other health issues, that are leading me to believe I have HMS or EDS, and some forms of EDS have GI issues as well.

At this point, I am really not sure what my problem is. I am able to keep my weight up only by eating probably 3,000+ calories a day. (I have 2 candy bars, cinn rolls, ice cream, plus my regular meals to keep my weight just on the line of underweight, which looks skinny to my family. I haven't been this thin since I was 14.)

I am seeking advice from my pcp to see if he believes I should follow through with the EDS idea. I had contacted a professor with questions, and then he told me to contact another doctor at a teaching hospital near me, and she felt EDS was a possibly & I should be seen. I am just awaiting the decision from my doctor & I should receive my date for the appt. within a week or so.... more waiting....

Old 07-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

I forgot to mention, the surgeon who did my first c-scope that showed small ulcers said he thought it "looked like lymphocytic colitis" but the biopsy came back focal active colitis. But now it's IBS....

Old 07-11-2008, 11:40 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Have any if you had bone joint pain that hits and moves around?

Also does loose stools always come with the pain? In the past when I have had pain stools were not frequent and lose actually opposite. Just recently I am having loose bm often. Also have had a lot of gas past year. My left sided pain has been dull and constant spreading to my back for a month it did hurt so bad one day (thought I was about to die) that I went to the ER-30 min later was fine.

Dr thinks its colitis and will do a scope in a few weeks-wonder if horrible stress can bring it on it started when I found out my dad had term pc

Anyone else with the bone joint pain that moves around? Nervous..

Old 07-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
(female)

footsiedee HB User

hukleberrie, glad to hear you are somewhat better. it is very difficult to live with this diagnoses. glad to hear you arent currently on the prednisone, but then sometimes it cant be helped. i have learned to research, then ask my doctor.

Closed Thread