It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
(female)

kgh823 HB User
Lymphoma or Crohn's

My daughter is 23. Past three years complained of stomach pain. To make this short, had endoscopy, colonoscopy, CT (2 times) and pillcam. Ct shows circumferential wall thicening of distal terminal ileum, mildly prominent mesenteric lymph nodes in right lower quadrant of abd, 1.3 x 2.2 lymph node in right lower quarant mesentery, other lymph nodes smaller in size in same location, uterus moderate hetrogeneous. Hyperplastic lymph nodes in ileocolic region, intra-abdominal demonstrates nonspecific adenopathy involving ileocolic portion of the messentry, incidental right ovary cyst. Pillcam shows small polyp in distal small bowel, mild lymphoid hyperplasia in distal small bowel, medium size submucosal nodule in mid to distal small bowel, multiple aphthous ulcers throughout, Grade II esophagitis. Hemoglobin and Hemacrotic is low, monocytes low, very high CRP - inflammatory, low carbon dixoide, the two test for possible crohn's came back negative and ANA lupus test came back negative. She is hurting in stomach always, nauseated but does not vomit, no engery at all, lymph nodes in neck and under arm swell at times, not sore and not always, but swell up and down. The doctor not sure if chron's or lymphoma or what. Doctor seems concerned, but is taking her own sweet time. She wants her to have a laparscopy. Does this sound normal. I can handle whatever is wrong with my daughter be it chron's, cancer or just inflammed, but something needs to get done. She is not staying at college because she is so tired of feeling bad. Do you think laparscopy is the right direction and why and when will they find out. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2008, 02:46 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

pinkmada HB User
Re: Lymphoma or Crohn's

hey,
i would think that a biopsy of one of the nodes would be better than a laparoscopy. have you tried a different doctor or getting a second opinion? i think perhaps you should see your doctor again and if she is still 'taking her time' maybe go and see a different doctor.
take care. i hope you get some answers
x

Old 05-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
(female)

kgh823 HB User

would not a laparscopy being able to do that? I am confused. What is a laparscopy?

Old 05-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

pinkmada HB User

A laparoscopy is key hole surgery. generally just to have a look unless they tell you otherwise. i would have thought they would tell you if they were going to be cutting chunks out of you as you'd have to sign permission. i may be wrong cause you're in the States but there is a difference in scotland.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
(female)

kgh823 HB User

We have an appointment tuesday with a surgeon who specializes in colon. I will be going to a different gastro after that appointment. As I stated earlier, the doctor specifically referred me to a surgeon to have laparscopic exploratory and mentioned onocologist. She stated they needed to check her lymphs and would be able to feel the small bowel that show multiple ulers, nodule, lymph hyperplasia and polyp. Does this sound correct. They can go in an biopsy lymph, then feel the small bowel?

Old 06-06-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
(female)

Shoshanna HB User

Lymphoma and Crohn's are very different. The damage by each is different. Lymphoma is a neoplasm that has grown in lymphocytes (white blood cells) and Crohn's is a disease of the immulogical system that can cause damage by secondary disorders such as arthritis.

Yes they can find out by doing laporscopic surgery. They can take a lymph node at that time to send it off for biopsy. They can take parts of other organs at the same time and do the same. I have had so much surgery abdomanally and will tell you that they most likely want to do it this way so that they don't open her wide and leave a large scare. Also if they open her fully if there is any major problem they are thinking of not allowing open air to the site.

I hope that this turns out ok for your daughter and wish her the very best.

Shoshanna

Last edited by Shoshanna; 06-06-2008 at 09:56 AM. Reason: unable to include info from url's to explain the major difference.

Closed Thread