It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
(female)

lindysmom14 HB User
Question New to Crohn's Disease

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease about a year ago . I really do not have any severe symptoms so far, other than the once or twice a day bouts with food I ate seemingly going right through me. I do seem to always have a ferritin level that is 10, very low iron saturation levels and iron levels. I take iron pills, when I remember, that the dr. ordered and Pentasa 4 times a day. I am not big on pills so may take the Pentasa 2 x a day if I am lucky and remember. I have the ulceration in the small intestine which was detected by swallowing a pill with a camera in it. I have chronic sinusitis, which my ear, nose and throat dr. said in 90% of the patients he has seen with Crohn's disease have some sort of sinus problems. I have an underactive thyroid, type II diabetes also. My dr. told me all these illnesses are linked together with the Crohn's disease. I was also told at times I will have seepage from the anal area, which I have not had so far. I guess I do not take the Crohn's as serious as I should because I have not had any real symptoms from it other than being anemic. Can anyone enlighten me on this disease with experiences you may have had? Thanks and God Bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2008, 02:38 AM   #2
(female)

amorisma HB User
Re: New to Crohn's Disease

Please take the disease seriously. I, according to one doctor have it and another I don't, I do treat myself as having it. Even though mine is mild I went through a really bad case of it a few months ago where I was hospitalized for it and was bleeding from my rectum. I was no longer passing stool, instead I was bleeding internally because I did not follow my diet and take the supplements I was suppose to. As I get worse I am getting these horrible burps that smell like rotten eggs and I throw up shortly after the burps start. Certain food for me set it off. I recommend starting a diary of what you are eating and when you attacks occur. This is a great tool in helping me know what I can and can not eat. Trust me as it gets worse you will wish you took care of the situation.

I am slightly anemic and have some inner ear problems as well as throat ulcers. I also am lactos intolerant and have endometriosis.

I hope this helps you make some important decisions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2008, 02:52 AM   #3
(male)

Jeckle and Hyde HB User

Gday i have had chrohnes for as long as i can remember if my lactose interlance is anything to go buy . Diagnoised finally 3 years ago had a resection from my small intestine and have to watch what i eat as everyone does. I recently had 2 work related accidents breaking 4 vertabrae each time. I went and got a bone density check done 2 weeks ago and found out last week i have ostioporosis due to lack of calcuim intake due to the chrohnes so please get them to keep an i on that as well as keep up iron,vit b and d. I am only 45 so i would like to let people know to keep an eye on it.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
(female)

lindysmom14 HB User

Do they contribute the throat ulcers to the Crohn's disease?

Old 06-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
(female)

lindysmom14 HB User

Jeckle and Hyde,

What is so odd is milk products other than ice cream do not seem to bother my Crohn's disease.

Last edited by moderator4; 06-29-2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Quote is unnecessary.

Closed Thread