It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
(female)

moviestar95 HB User
Question Colitis/Crohns meds and questions!

I was hoping to get some insight on the meds and info i just got on my daughters biopsies. She had a colonoscopy about a week ago and the doc called and told me that it looks like Crohns but they can not actually lable it that at this point due to some mutation that was differnt. They told me what they are calling it at this point is unidentified colitis. They put her one Entocort EC 3mg 3 times a day and Asacol 400 mg EC three times a day also. Has anyone taken these or are on them now? Have you had any bad side effects or and insight to anything i need to watch for. They said that they will check her again in 6 weeks to make sure the meds are working with her system. And then if they are working then she will be on them for about 2 years (unless things change as far as getting worse) and then they will do another colonoscopy to see where things are at that point. The nurse keep making comments about how it was Crohns but they could not actually lable it that yet. Can you tell me what the difference is between Colitis and Crohns. They kinda had the same basics from what i read. Any information would be helpful at this point. And any help if there is anything to watch for or perhaps stay away from would be a great help also. Thank you for reading this and thank you for any advice.
PS> Just realived fianlly got some kind of idea what is going on and not wondering any longer about what else we need to do.

Last edited by moviestar95; 10-20-2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: missed a detail

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User
Re: Colitis/Crohns meds and questions!

Hi,
I'm new to this nonsense myself. So, I really don't have much to say, especially about drugs. I will say the Asacol is a 5-ASA drug, much like my Lialda (brand new drug). My mom takes Asacol for her colitis, but I think her's is milder than mine - mine is called Ulcerative Colitis (related to Crohn's Disease), while her's is some other kind. She's taken it for a while. I only know what I've read on the Lialda inserts - there may be some concern about liver problems. So, I think we all have to watch for that.

As far as UC (Ulcerated Colitis vs Crohn's Disease)-- UC is basically just what the word means - inflamed COLON. Crohn's is supposed to be inflamed EVERYWHERE in the gut, all the intestines, not just colon. (I half suspect I really have the Crohn's Disease.) Not sure how they know because scopes don't reach beyond the colon.

Last edited by moderator4; 10-21-2008 at 09:54 PM.

Closed Thread