It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2009, 05:41 AM   #1
(male)

kelement HB User
Best place to live with Crohn's disease

Greetings...

Does anyone have an opinion as to the best place to live in the US with Crohn's disease? I am looking for a lifestyle change that can help me better manage my condition through less stress and a healthier lifestyle.

I have been living with the disease for 23 years now with multiple surgeries and complications. I have lived in the Washington DC and the Connecticut/New York metro area for almost all my life.

I know that there is not a magic answer, but I hope to gain some knowledge to make a better decision.

Thank you for your time...

kelement

Old 01-24-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
(female)

trying2staycalm HB User
Re: Best place to live with Crohn's disease

Hey Kelement

I too have Crohn's Disease. June will be 10 years since my diagnosis. I haven't had any surgeries, but I have had many flare ups. I'm on medication now and it seems to be doing really well.

As far as the best places to live, it sounds like you've been a "city mouse" all your life Have you ever considered moving to the country?? I'm from North Carolina but I lived in Baltimore, Maryland for about 14 years, which is where I was first diagnosed.

I was young then and still wanted to be wild so i didn't take the time to take care of myself and understand my condition. I still wanted to run wild.

Fast-forward to the present, I moved back home to North Carolina last year (February 1 will be a year and I have to tell you, I have never gotten so much rest!!!

The pace is much slower in "country areas". Not so much hustle and bustle and feeling the need to keep up, which is usually the cause of alot of stress.

If you have any Family/Friends who live in rural areas, check them out! Spend some time there if you've never done so and really pay attention to the affect it can have on you.

I hope this helps! Take Care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
(male)

aqua774 HB User
Re: Best place to live with Crohn's disease

I 100% agree with that answer. The country is a great place or say 25-30 miles outside a good size city. Somewhere that is a slower pace and not the hustle and bustle of a city. You will notice less stress and less flare ups. I would say North Carolina or below. Just because I dont like the cold, I would say the south or Florida and the beaches!

Closed Thread