It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
(male)

trancefreak900 HB User
(Ulcerative Colitis). Still bleeding

Hey everyone,

My name is matthew & I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis about month ago. I been taking Pentasa (4-4 pills A day), now last weekend I tried some spicy food last saturday & been getting Dark red blood in the toilet every since. It's Almost saturday now and I been bleeding small amounts & big amounts, even sometimes none..

What my worry is the blood. I'm taking the med's everyday and Haven't missed 1 day since.. I did some research online & found out about Colitis Flare up.. Can this be what's happening to me?

Last edited by trancefreak900; 04-10-2009 at 11:47 PM.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
(male)

trancefreak900 HB User
Re: (Ulcerative Colitis). Still bleeding

Anyone????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
(female)

JMYHNY HB User

My fiance has ulcerative colitis since Aug 2008. He got better within about 2 months and after that everything went down hill again. He never missed his meds or anything. So next Tuesday the 28th he will be having his second colonscopy from a different doctor to see what is going on. And he is only 24 years old.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:48 AM   #4
(female)

azblonde HB Userazblonde HB User

I went thru the same thing except my bleeding started in january 2007 and for 4 months i had no pain and i only bleding for about 24hrs, in april the bleeding started to last 1 to 2 days and more frequent where before it was just one day then nada, then it was every 2 weeks and i got severe abdominal pains the bleeding stopped in aug and i was okay until nov i had 1 bought of bleeding, i still have the severe pain and massive weight loss, had colonoscopy in dec and was told i had ulcertive colitis they started me on 2000mg a day of sulfasalazine it worked for about a month, then it triggered severe migraines i do have an appt with a digestive disease dr on the 30th hoping to get to the end of this i can totally relate with yu regarding the bleeding it can be very scary good luck

Old 04-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
(female)

50isbestsofar HB User

I have had UC since I was in my 30's. Luckily for the last 15 years I have mostly been in remission. If you want to get it under control you have to learn what your body accepts and what it doesn't. For me, the key was a high soy diet. I liiterally stopped bleeding for the first time in two years after only one week on all natural soy powder plus some digestion aides and some vitamin b complex. Your body is in a cycle creating mucous (leading to bleeding) so your system cannot absorb the nutrients it needs to heal itself. I have done enough reading to be confused as to whether it is the malabsorption of nutrients in the first place that causes the chronic disease or if it is the result. My doctor said the predisposition is carried on a gene and you may find family members who have mild symptoms and think it is hemorroids or possibly are hiding or ignoring the condition because they are scared.

Either way, the more nutrients you put into your diet, the better to absorb what you can so your body can do what it is supposed to do with the right ingredients. Get the best quality you can until you get it under control which will cost you some big bucks. I used true "all natural" products from a multi-level marketing group. I found I could back off the high cost ones eventually, but I do believe that quality makes the difference. When people say that vitamins did not make any difference I believe they are telling me they used bad oines. There are so many additives in supplements that can actually provoke your condition and lots of them are just junk anyway, don't dissolve, etc. Talk to some pharmaceutical grade vitamin sellers and you'll learn the pitfalls quickly. Some of the dietary recommendations such as flax seed I found actually aggravated my condition. In fact, all seeds are not good for me including strawberry seeds (both daughters are allergic to them ,too!) The point is everyone has to find out what triggers and STOP EATING IT!. My worst episode was following a taste of fresh hot peppers from my sisters garden. Tasted great but not worth it.

Learn how your digestive system works with all the good bacteria and how stomach acids help you digest your food and all that. Then eat with that in mind. Doesn't it make sense that the more sugar you eat, the more you are creating nice breeding grounds for lovely bad bacteria not to mention lowering your infection fighting blood cells. Yougart contains nice things for your digestion, but comes with milk so may not be good for you. Try acidophilus tablets or coated gels that ensure it gets past the acids in your stomach and into your intestine where it will eat up the nasties that make your condition worse. Learn about nutrition. High fiber products and too many raw veggies are a no-no when you are bleeding. Omega three oils should be good, but again, find out one at a time so you can stop what sends you in the wrong direction.

I have talked to a lot of people who have Ulcerative colitis or Crohn's which is a similar problem with the small intestine. You are going to be one of two types. Either 1) a victim or 2) proactive for a better life. Medicine will help you along, but the ultimate solution is to help your body heal with nutrients and stop eating the foods that trigger episodes.
Oh, and also find out where your ulcers are located. I had them up to the trasverse colon at its worst but rarely let it get out of hand past the rectal area any more. Knowing where it is determines whether you need both oral and suppositories AND maybe even enema forms of mesalamine. If you need to use it twice a day faithfully until it heals DO It. It is worth the effort to feel your age again and not prematurely like death warmed over, not to mention the bleeding and pain.

The Following User Says Thank You to 50isbestsofar For This Useful Post:
cdp37 (08-24-2011)
Closed Thread