It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
(male)

590610jt HB User
ulcerative colitis

I have had uc now for at least 18 months and I am still to be in a remission state. I have diarrehea all the time . The doctor has me on azithioprine{200 mgs} but this doesn't help. Can any one offer me some sound logic to my problem please.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
(female)

arabesque02 HB User
Re: ulcerative colitis

Hi,

You're not alone. I've had UC for 8 years and I've only had about 12 months of "remission" during that time. I've tried all the drugs and none work for me. Perhaps you could ask your doctor to try a different drug? Keep in mind that these drugs all have side effects though.

Currently I'm trying to adjust my diet to see if that helps. I'm avoiding gluten for now and may add dairy. There are a number of books on this topic. I'd recommend looking into diet to see if it helps.

Ps. Avoid coffee!

Last edited by arabesque02; 07-15-2009 at 03:18 PM. Reason: typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2009, 04:35 AM   #3
(female)

PixiePix HB User

Its worth trying a few things to see what works for you.

Some people swear by the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) - which restricts the use of complex carbohydrates and eliminates refined sugar, gluten and starch from the diet. This stops the overproduction of nasty bacteria and yeast in the gut which could be the cause of some peoples UC.

For some simply the addition of acidophilus to the diet can work wonders for the symptoms. Acidophilus is the good gut bacteria - found in yoghurt, but you can also get capsules. The good bacteria will fight for space with the bad bacteria - and eliminate them - restoring the gut back to health.

I have also recently come across the use of Colostrum to help treat UC. Colostrum is the early milk produced by animals (late pregnancy and within48hours of giving birth) that is full of antibodies and good stuff. Some UC sufferers believe that a supplement of this can prevent your body attacking itself - and restore the gut to health.

Last edited by PixiePix; 07-17-2009 at 04:36 AM.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
(male)

X51 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 590610jt View Post
I have had uc now for at least 18 months and I am still to be in a remission state. I have diarrehea all the time . The doctor has me on azithioprine{200 mgs} but this doesn't help. Can any one offer me some sound logic to my problem please.
try some rectal meds ie rowasa or cortifoam

Closed Thread