It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
(female)

jessicat1679 HB User
Question Natural or homemade remedies for Crohn's or IBS symptoms

I've had Crohn's for about 5 years, and have been put on various therapies, including steroid / Prednisone therapy, Remicade therapy (which I developed a severe allergy to), Humira therapy (which did not do anything to my benefit), as well as long-term therapies such as Asacol and Mercaptopurine/6-MP. I've had the most luck with the 6-MP therapy, but I still get severe flare-ups five or six times per year.

I recently became very interested in natural and home-based remedies, and I am looking for any information about what types of remedies are out there as well as info on using them with Crohn's symptoms.

Please share your stories, even if they seem like "old wives fables." I've been amazed at how natural/home treatments have helped other ailments of mine (ie. cystic acne, chronic back pain, etc.), and some of the simplest remedies provided the most relief. I'm also hoping any information posted here will help others who may be seeking the same ideas.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by jessicat1679; 07-20-2009 at 12:43 PM.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
(female)

myrc60 HB User
Re: Natural or homemade remedies for Crohn's or IBS symptoms

This isn't exactly what you are looking for but hubby takes Imuran (generic) for Crohn's and has done well on it for around 10 years I think. He used to take it with Asacol but quit taking Asacol when we couldn't afford it any longer. Every Crohn's case is different and what works for one may not work for another but since you didn't mention Imuran I thought I'd bring it up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2009, 12:07 AM   #3
(male)

pitcherred HB User

I used aloe AMP for about a year - got amazing results - it was the most amazing supplement i ever used. - it cost about 200 per month.. and i would have paid 800 - it was that good...

however.. the original company that made - this husband and wife split - had fight broke the company.. both started own companies - each back in business claiming they have originl formula... - niether smells or tastes like the original..i have tried the new without similar results.. there are few other knock-offs out there 0 i have tried without results.. i have spent about 3k trying and retrying all to see if i can get results i found the first time...

the stuff gave me my life back -whcih i have lost again about year after i wasnt able to get the stuff..

maybe i built a resistance.. - u can or should still give it a try i think....

Last edited by pitcherred; 08-18-2009 at 12:08 AM.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

I have run into a number of people who swear by Elaine Gottschall's Breaking the Vicious Cycle for various GI track issues. The regime she recommends is quite strict for a period of time. There is some info on the internet under the name specific carbohydrate diet.

Closed Thread