It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
(male)

fifthand47 HB User
Red face Fifths, crohns and arthritis

I have had crohns and arthritis for over 20 years and just got infected with Fifths when our adopted daughter had it going around her school in may 2009. When I was taken to our local hospital in May last year they thought it was a heart attack, but everything came out OK - maybe OK for them, but not me. Finally, after many months of seeing my family doctor, I had a blood test which came back that I had had fifths disease - as far as my doctor is concerned, you had it, now you dont - wrong answer!!

I have significant pain in my chest every day and it is I suppose alright that I am currently unemployed. I cannot walk over two blocks without being winded and I am only 47 years old and dont smoke. Over the past 6 months I have had heart tests and my doctor still thinks its possibly my heart.

Currently i am on a narcotic and it takes away 70% of the pain, but I still have problems sleeping at night. I sleep most days until 11-12 and still feel tired all day - i really hate it since I am used to walking all over our small town and not being a potatoe.

I do see that many other people are in worse health than I, but I cannot do much with our 7 year old daughter and find that I am getting to a point that I possibly need counceling.

Any help or stories would help.

Fifth and 47

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2010, 12:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User
Re: Fifths, crohns and arthritis

The weird thing about certain viruses is that they can initially incite inflammation in certain joints, they can also result in something called a post-infectious arthritis where the virus is actually gone from the body, but for some reason or another the immune system stays revved up and attacks the joints resulting in inflammation.

It's interesting you say you have Crohn's disease which, as you know, can have extraintestinal manifestations the most common being what is called an enteropathic arthritis.

Fifth disease is caused by parvovirus, and it's one of the most common viral infections passed from children to adults (the other being varicella or chickenpox to non-immune adults). It can result in arthritis of large joints like the knee or ankle, but it can also result in semi-mobile joint arthritis i.e. between the ribs and the sternum. This inflammation can go on for months and really cause a lot of problem for the person who has it.

Question for you: have you recently been on any prednisone for your Crohn disease, and if so, did the prednisone help with the chest pain? If your doctor thinks the pain is coming from the heart (which is obviously possible) have you had a stress test done?

Have you tried any non-steroidal antiinflammatories such as naproxen? (be careful, though if you try this group of drugs as they can cause stomach problems if taken for too long).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread