It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010, 05:19 AM   #1
(male)

Blackip HB User
LIS surgery for Crohns/Colitis sufferers?

Hello

I've been busy scouring this site and others for some answers/reassurance regarding my surgeon's advice that I need LIS surgery to correct an anal fissure that has been bothering me for about 12 months.

As I had my colon removed many years ago due to severe ulcerative colitis and can have upwards of 6-7 BMs each and every day, life with this fissure is not much fun. I'm surprised my wife puts up with my constant grumpiness to be honest.

My only concern relates to the incontinence issue, especially given my pre-existing condition. My surgeon is apparently an extremely experienced colo-rectal consultant but I find him quite gung-ho about the whole thing and he certainly hasn't offered anything to allay my concerns. He talks about a small risk for people without pre-existing bowel disorders and even said that they normally try to avoid the surgey in people like me but I've no idea whether small means 1 in 10 or 1 in 10,000.

Is there anyone out there who has had the LIS op whilst living with Crohns/colitis (either pre or post surgery) and who can relate their experiences? Any info good or bad would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
(female)

wantrelief HB Userwantrelief HB User
Re: LIS surgery for Crohns/Colitis sufferers?

hello, i had LIS surgery in late december. i feel about 98% back to normal.

ever since puberty i have had bowel issues. i used to have diarrhea all the time, then since having my kid i've almost been the opposite. i'm getting back to normal bowels though since having my surgery.

the surgery wasn't bad at all. i would say go ahead and get it done.

a couple things that i did to stop having diarrhea so much was to stop drinking cow's milk (i use rice milk instead now), i don't eat much gluten products, and i don't drink carbonated drinks, caffeine, or diet or sugar free drinks/foods.

maybe you could try eliminating some foods and eating some bulking fiber supplements or foods.

hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
(male)

Blackip HB User

Wantrelief

Thanks for the reply and encouraging words.

Could I ask whether you had any control issues following the surgery?

Old 04-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
(female)

wantrelief HB Userwantrelief HB User

no control issues what so ever. i am so glad i got LIS surgery

Old 08-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
(female)

setback HB User

can i ask what area you live in? i am in depserate need of your doctor please post the name if you read this.
thanks

Closed Thread