It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
(female)

Lynnmaree HB User
Ulcerative colitis & metamucil

I've been taking Asacol for the past 4 months successfully, to keep my UC under control. When I was first prescribed the pills, my GI said I should also take 3 doses of Metamucil daily. I have tried on and off over the last few months to do this but I feel too bloated and end up not taking it. Lately, I've been "going loose" and am trying to take it once again. I'm so curious, can you please let me know if any of you were advised to take Metamucil or another fiber supplement and if so, does it help? I really need a reply to this question. Thanks.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Ulcerative colitis & metamucil

Which metamucil are you using?

I use the capsules and started off very slowly...that way it aleviates the discomfort. I only eat 2 main meals daily, I'm now at 6 with each meal...I won't increase, however.

REgarding your UC...you should also be on rectal meds...no matter how high your UC is, be it throughout or limited.

Where is your UC location?

You could also consider probiotics.

quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
(female)

Lynnmaree HB User

Thanks for replying. I really don't know where the location is. I'm sure I was told but forgot. This is still pretty new to me. Rectal meds? I've read about them on this board. I'm due to see the GI in June and will pose these questions to him. I've tried the Metamucil powder only. I only seem to try the Metamucil when I'm having problems. I was doing quite well until I took a prescrip cold medicine and the diar started. Also have been under a LOT of stress and that doesn't help. I do appreciate your reply. Thanks.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

I find the capsules much easier and much less bloating than the powder. If you're using the powder that's flavoured and sugar-free, that could be part of the problem...artificial sweeteners can add to bloating.

You could also consider probiotics to help keep the flora of your colon balanced.

When you do go to your doc...make a list of pertinent questions so that you're in the KNOW of where your UC is located (the extent). If you had a c-scope with biopsies...get a copy of the results for your record.

As well...if you've had blood tests...get a copy as well. It's always good to know what and why is getting tested.

The rectal meds come in steroid and 5 ASA as is the ASacol. I've used oral/rectal 5ASA meds for over 21 years. My goal is to NEVER use steroids or other meds...

I use Salofalk (I'm in Canada), but in the US, there's Rowasa. It's a retention enema that's used nightly and tapered to a maintenance dosage. Some go to twice a week, others go to once a week. It's kind of a constant process, at least for me it's been...since I'm a med-lifer, I've at least kept my UC from spreading upward. As well...all my c-scope biopsies have been "unremarkable"..which is a good thing relating to precancer/cancer.

UC starts at the rectum...please don't let your doctor say you don't need rectal meds...that's also where your flares will start. If you're having stomach discomfort, bloating and constipation, that can be a symptom of low level rectal inflammation or low in the rectum inflammaiton.

But, we learn through experience unfortunately, to find out what works for us.....just do the homework and research.

quincy

Old 06-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #5
(female)

Lynnmaree HB User

Thanks so much for all the useful info. I already have a list of questions started that I'll bring to my next doc appt. I find when someone like yourself replies, it's very helpful as I need all the info I can get!

Old 06-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

You're welcome. It's mostly trial and error, but I do encourage to know exactly what you have, where, and know what meds and supplements can work for you. Much takes commitment, but for me....knowing takes care of some of the distress.

Let me know how your appointment goes for sure.

q

Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

The trick is to start off with one dose a day, and then slowly build up to 3 doses a day over a couple of weeks, so you dont get too bloated and gassy.

Citrucel in a non fermentable fibre, so shouldnt cause bloating, might pay to ask your doctor if you can substitute that.

Closed Thread