It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
(female)

4in4 HB User
Sphincteroplasty to fix fistula & dealing w/Crohns

I delivered my baby and learned about two weeks after the delivery that I had a rectovaginal fistula I knew right away that I wanted surgery to fix the fistula. However, a few months ago, I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. Anyone our there that has had surgery to fix anal leakage, a fistula, and on top of that has Crohn's Disease?

Last edited by 4in4; 06-14-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:43 AM   #2
(female)

penny70 HB User
Re: Sphincteroplasty to fix fistula & dealing w/Crohns

Hi 4in4
I replied to you earlier but I must have somehow erased it. I had a tear, leakage and a fistula after the sphincteroplasty. You certainly have your share of things to deal with. Have you tried different things for your leakage? I had more leakage after my surgery unfortunately but a lot of people improve. I found an RVF site with another health board that offered a lot of support. My fistula finally healed itself but I had an ostomy for a year and a half and that allowed it to heal. My solution for my leakage was Align, the probiotic, psyllium husk pills and imodium. I try to go in the am each morning to make things more predictable. Crohn's really may respond to a list of other meds which you may be on already. I don't know if I"ve helped at all. Let us know how it goes for you.
Penny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
(female)

4in4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny70 View Post
Hi 4in4
I replied to you earlier but I must have somehow erased it. I had a tear, leakage and a fistula after the sphincteroplasty. You certainly have your share of things to deal with. Have you tried different things for your leakage? I had more leakage after my surgery unfortunately but a lot of people improve. I found an RVF site with another health board that offered a lot of support. My fistula finally healed itself but I had an ostomy for a year and a half and that allowed it to heal. My solution for my leakage was Align, the probiotic, psyllium husk pills and imodium. I try to go in the am each morning to make things more predictable. Crohn's really may respond to a list of other meds which you may be on already. I don't know if I"ve helped at all. Let us know how it goes for you.
Penny

Old 06-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
(female)

4in4 HB User

Penny,
By chance do you know which fistula site it was? I get really freaked out hearing stories about the overlapping sphincter repair but I just don't to deal with these issues.
Why did you get the repar in the first place? So you got the tear, the fistula and the leakage AFTER the surgery??? I think I remember reading you had two surgeries so are you better now?

Old 06-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
(female)

penny70 HB User

I think if you Googled Recto-Vaginal Fistulas -Part 5 you'd find it. I don't think this board wants you to give out other sites but if that doesn't work I'll try to give you some more hints. Someone new just joined today. The rest of us have been a bit quiet of late. I had a tear at the birth of my 28 year old daughter that didn't give me trouble til I was 58, 3 years ago. I had minimal staining, after the sphincteroplasty I had more leakage and the fistula. NOt a good result but things are better now. I take my meds, make a conserted (SP?) effort to have my movement in the a.m. and most days things have been good. Problems happen toward the end of the day if I try to go for a walk or if things are very loose. I feel I should be doing more kegels and exercise all around. My fistula is gone. I may occasionally have gas but that doesn't really bother me as long as that's all. The leakage has dissipated with my routine which I'm glad of. I think other people have had better outcomes.
PEnny

Closed Thread