It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User
Pain meds that work best for UC/Crohn's

I'm actually post-UC. After years of Prednisone in the late 80's I required surgery and opted for a restorative J-Pouch.

Unfortunately, it really is not curative. Most 'Pouchers' have a new form of inflammation of the Anastomosis, Rectal Cuff, and Small Bowel called Pouchitis.

Pain is very similar to UC and Crohn's. Cramps, Gas, Sweating, Fever, Urge, and local bottom pain.

What meds work for your pain?

The Following User Says Thank You to Isotope For This Useful Post:
JACKSON BROWN (10-12-2011)
Old 01-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User
Re: Pain meds that work best for UC/Crohn's

I guess I will answer my own question.....

I've had GI pain for 25 years. Ulcerative Colitis, Surgery, and now Crohn's. Finally, a couple of years ago I decided to do something about pain since it was driving me nuts.

Since posting this I have tried OxyContin after using Norco for a couple of years. OxyContin works really well for GI distress; slows the gut, kills pain and cramps, and generally restored my function.

Only problem with OxyContin was anxiety, it was high so I switched to Opana ER which is a powerful Opiate that lasts a solid 8-10 hours. It is a pretty amazing medication.

For Crohn's and UC sufferers, try to stay away from Short-Acting Narcotics like Vicodin, Percocet, and Norco. You will end up chasing the relief, counting pills, and becoming mental about it.

Best to use a Long-Acting (LA) med, and have a supply of Short-Acting meds for (BT) breakthrough pain. This approach is a fairly standard practice in the pain management world.

Bottom line: Pain meds have been a good addition to my other GI meds. Currently I'm taking Prednsione, EntoCort, Xifaxan, Cipro, Lomotil, Hyoscyamine and Cortisone Enemas.

~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
(female)

PeaceNLove7 HB User
Re: Pain meds that work best for UC/Crohn's

Hello....I also have UC for a year now and im only 24...My pain doctor gave me vicodin....yes it doesnt workvery well buti dont want to make myself look bad for stronger dose....can you help me what to say? for my next appointment on august 27...i always be prepared until i see doctor i become egg jello...He would ask me if i take 3 times a day....i lied to make myself lookgood...but i ran out fewweeksearlier going through withdrawing is the worse for my pain as UC patient...Please hellp and ill write it down what to say from you next time to see doctor so i dont change my mind...thank you! I find tha OXY is the best for me but....from vicodin 10mg it takes long way to higher class...they think im tooyoung and they think vicodin is good enough for me...its not.

Closed Thread