It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 02:23 AM   #1
(male)

peteuk HB User
problems drinking water

hi i wanted to ask if anyone knows of any reason why i'm struggling to drink water or rehydrate comfortably. there are a few sides to this, firstly that i'm an IBD sufferer and take many different types of meds. secondly unless i drink with food, i feel a bit like i'm forcing it down rather than naturally rehydrating. it feels like i'm a bit liquidy inside and might reflux if i drink more. this might be my body saying that there is a problem and not to drink. with meals however i feel super thirsty, i feel a want to glug a pint (which i don't). does this switch in drinking habit mean anything to anyone. i did mention it to the gastro's nutritionist and she said it's not normal and that was all i got. i don't really drink fruit juices, natural or otherwise as they are quite acidic, and i tend to avoid hot drinks due to gut sensitivity. bottled or filtered water doesn't make any difference to tap water.

appreciate any help?
thanks

Old 11-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: problems drinking water

Hi..what meds are you on and for what exactly IBD...UC or CD? Where is yours located...limited or throughout your colon if it's UC?

Are you on any reflux meds such as Zantac? or other?

It sounds like reflux...maybe use a straw so you don't gulp too much fluid?

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2010, 04:00 AM   #3
(male)

peteuk HB User
Re: problems drinking water

well i've had UC throughout large colon and proctal for 12 years. strangely my small colon has been closing up in patches for 2 years, but shows no sign of damage on a CT scan. scan result said unknown reason for suboptimal distention in small colon, which is expanded colon not closed up. gastro thinks it's just scar tissue that doesn't show.
i take mesalazine, azathioprine, lanzoprazole (for hiatus hernia). this feeling isn't strictly like reflux, just seems difficult and harder to drink water for some reason, except as i say when eating when i feel super thirsty. sure it's a sign of something.

thanks

Closed Thread