It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
(male)

bg77 HB User
could it be IBD?

One very helpful poster has suggested I could have diverticulitis, but as I await tomorrow's appt with my MD, I am looking for more input.

This isn't a sudden onset, it's been brewing ever since I started my weight loss journey. At that time, I started eating less red meat (but not eliminating it), more fiber, and a LOT more yogurt. I've lost 35 lbs since May.

My stools are generally normal, normal color and texture and usually once a day, rarely twice and rarely I'll skip a day. They do seem to be slightly shorter in length than before, but not narrower really. I have attributed this to the simple fact that I'm eating smaller portions. Granted I never paid much attention before.

However, I've had a general gassy, slightly crampy feeling since May that comes and goes and has slowly gotten worse, and a more specific pain just left of my navel, that is almost a tenderness under the skin, plus a pressure/pain (low-moderate level) that gets worse when I wear a belt or sit, seems a bit better when standing, and almost goes away in bed at night, although if I touch that area it's still slightly tender.

Most of what I've read about diverticulitis suggests fever and sudden onset. I have had neither, but did have a fever of 103.1 for about 36 hours in October, associated with a cough, phlegm, that my doctor assumed was a cold or flu. No fever since then. I had diarrhea while taking antibiotics for about 2 days after the fever had subsided, and that's it. At this time I actually had almost no abdominal pain at all except a bit in the muscles likely due to coughing so much (different than the other pain/pressure I've experienced).

One poster said his symptoms came on slowly then suddenly he had a major attack of diverticulitis, one reason I'm seeing my doc tomorrow, but it still doesn't quite make sense.

Also, I've noticed over the last year or two that when I eat a high-fiber, high-carb meal, like whole wheat pasta, I get very gassy and a feeling that I have to "go" but usually, don't "go" until my normal time the next morning and feel fine afterwards (this abdominal issue aside).

Briefly I thought that maybe instead I have Chron's, Ulcerative Colitis, some other type of IBD, or even a form of IBS. Of course the "c-word" crossed my mind, but I think I'm VERY young for that to be likely. What makes IBD seem unlikely to me is that other than the antibiotics I haven't had diarrhea. Also no constipation...but I do get a feeling of having to go when not much comes out at times.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: could it be IBD?

You said that whole wheat pasta makes you gassy. What's your blood type?

Old 01-06-2011, 05:41 AM   #3
(male)

bg77 HB User

O negative.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:57 AM   #4
(male)

bg77 HB User

BTW CT scan I had done was fine. Next step is seeing a gastroenterologist. The pain left of the navel is now gone, but the overall gassy, scattered pain remains. BM's mostly normal but I have had more days lately where they are not. This week I went 3 times in one day, each one progressively softer but even the last one wasn't "D", just softer than average. Small amount of blood as well at the third BM of the day, mostly on tissue, but I also itch down there a lot so I'm guessing/hoping it's a fissure or hemrrhoid (sp?).

Old 01-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

You're type O like me. Well, I've been reading, "Eat Right For Your Type" and the author says that type O people should not be eating any wheat products. That covers a lot foods like most breads, pizza, pasta, crackers and pastry etc.. He claims we shouldn't be eating most grains.

Ezekiel bread, according to him, is supposed to be good for us because it is a flourless bread made with sprouts from 6 grains and legumes.

I'm not sure if his diet will work, especially if one does not follow the whole diet. To see if it will work for you, you would have to follow it completely for at least 2 weeks. That's a tall order.

You mentioned blood in your stool could be hemorrhoids. He says type Os have difficulty clotting. So be careful about ingesting too much of anything that will make your blood thin. Eating lots of dark leafy greens will give you vitamin K1 and that should help with clotting.

After you see all the doctors, if you're still having problems, you can always get the book, "Eat Right For Your Type" and give it a try. Your library system should have it.

Last edited by JohnR41; 01-06-2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Deleted a few words

Old 01-07-2011, 06:03 AM   #6
(female)

kriss79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
You're type O like me. Well, I've been reading, "Eat Right For Your Type" and the author says that type O people should not be eating any wheat products. That covers a lot foods like most breads, pizza, pasta, crackers and pastry etc.. He claims we shouldn't be eating most grains.

Ezekiel bread, according to him, is supposed to be good for us because it is a flourless bread made with sprouts from 6 grains and legumes.

I'm not sure if his diet will work, especially if one does not follow the whole diet. To see if it will work for you, you would have to follow it completely for at least 2 weeks. That's a tall order.

You mentioned blood in your stool could be hemorrhoids. He says type Os have difficulty clotting. So be careful about ingesting too much of anything that will make your blood thin. Eating lots of dark leafy greens will give you vitamin K1 and that should help with clotting.

After you see all the doctors, if you're still having problems, you can always get the book, "Eat Right For Your Type" and give it a try. Your library system should have it.
Hubby deals with the same thing and he's a type O as well. He has that book and now I'm reading it (I'm type A).

Last edited by kriss79; 01-07-2011 at 06:04 AM. Reason: fat fingers

Old 01-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
(male)

bg77 HB User

OK, today, after my morning #2, I noticed it was slightly orange-tinged, but no blood per se was visible. I looked more closely, and there were actual pieces of what appeared to be salsa vegetables in the stool. I did have Mexican food and a bunch of salsa about 14 hours prior...is this actually possible and would it indicate a problem or is it similar to the "corn poop" phenomenon?

Now this makes me wonder if it wasn't tomato skins I saw before, since, I had eaten stewed tomatoes that previous day.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Probably...I have orangier stools the next day after eating salsa...and it's usually not formed (I probably eat too much of it..lol)..and can see it in the toilet when it breaks apart.

Remember that food isn't necessarily digested as in totally broken down.

Did you have Salsa the night before as well?

q

Old 01-13-2011, 06:51 AM   #9
(female)

kriss79 HB User
Talking Re: could it be IBD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg77 View Post
OK, today, after my morning #2, I noticed it was slightly orange-tinged, but no blood per se was visible. I looked more closely, and there were actual pieces of what appeared to be salsa vegetables in the stool. I did have Mexican food and a bunch of salsa about 14 hours prior...is this actually possible and would it indicate a problem or is it similar to the "corn poop" phenomenon?

Now this makes me wonder if it wasn't tomato skins I saw before, since, I had eaten stewed tomatoes that previous day.
LMAO at this post! I just replied to your other thread, but this got me thinking how amazingly open we are on this board about things most of us wouldn't discuss in person with anyone but our doctor!

I've always been open about my bowels though, much to my hubby's chagrin but he's used to me now.

Closed Thread