It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
(male)

TravisAK HB User
Crohn's and Prednisone

Hi, i'm new here and look forward to some insight from patients for a change rather than just my doctor. I have been on Prednisone for a little over a year now for Crohn's. I started at 60mg, went into remission very quickly and got to 20mg pretty easily. It took a couple of months to get from there to where I am now.... right around 10mg. The side effects are becoming such that I would honestly rather just deal with a Crohn's flare for a bit while I give my body and mind a break from the prednisone. So my question is if anybody can offer any advice/experience for the fastest, SAFEST way to get to zero?? I've been bouncing between as low as 7mg and as high as 12mg for about three months now. Other factors to consider are that I am coming up on my fourth infusion of Remicade in a few days which I also take for Ankylosing Spondylitis. The remicade may be helping the Crohn's (hard to tell while still on prednisone), but neither is helping the A.S.
Thanks!!

Old 02-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
(male)

TravisAK HB User
Re: Crohn's and Prednisone

Also wanted to add..... I had been on Norco for a year due to A.S. pain and my doctor decided he was no longer comfortable with that anymore. He now wants me to use 600-800 mg Ibuprofen every 6 hrs for pain. ??? I was always under the impression that NSAIDS were to be avoided with IBD.?? Any thoughts? The Norco was wonderfull for my A.S. AND my Crohn's as it slowed everything down. Most people get constipated, I got normal. But, i'm not allowed to feel good anymore so I need other options.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
(male)

TravisAK HB User

I know no one has responded, but for anyone reading this post that might be interested here is an update....
I am down to 5 mg prednisone and doing VERY well. I have been coming down .5 mg every four days. Perhaps the Remicade is starting to work??? it's been 2 week since my fourth infusion. Also spoke with my doc about my concerns with the ibuprofen and he agreed. I am back on Norco fo A.S. pain but this time he is only giving me a weeks worth at a time to help avoid the temtation to abuse the narcotics. This seems to be a good plan as I am now using about half of what i was before he cut me off. At first I was upset with my doc for taking away my pain relief, but now i realize how fortunate i am to have a doctor who is actually concerned about my long term well being.

Last edited by TravisAK; 02-22-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:00 AM   #4
(female)

faefeverfan HB User

Remicade and Asacol are the only things that worked for my Crohn's. I just came out of the hospital because a doctor just kept me on prednisone. I was on a three month taper and it screwed me up. I eventually just quit taking it when I was at the lowest dose. hope this helps.

Closed Thread