It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
(female)

PonyLover375 HB UserPonyLover375 HB User
Does Crohn's show Up on CT's

Hi, if you look around your bound to find some posts by me about this ongoing abdominal thing,
since new years eve, I've had terrible lower right side pain, right in the area where the appendix is. I've had a ton of tests including a barium enema CT and a full abdominal CT with contrast, they said both of those look fine.
The doctor is getting a Barium Xray to see if i have crohn's, from what i've read crohn's is inflammation, and if there was inflammation in that area wouldn't it have already shown up?
Thanks

Old 02-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Does Crohn's Show Up on Ct's

I think you should push for a colonoscopy before the barium enema. I don't know how it would show CD, but for my UC and 15 inches of severe inflammation...it showed nothing at all.

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
(female)

ok thanks. I think the reason they did barium enema and all that stuff is because they've thought it was my appendix but it appears just fine on all these tests and the doctor doesnt want to do exploratory laproscopy because he said there would only be about a 10% chance he'd find anything. Now he thinks it could be crohn's so im having a Upper GI with small bowel follow through on wednesday. Now i get to drink the barium, woohoo.
He did say that it may come down to getting a colonoscopy, but he also said that he wants to avoid that if possible....

Old 02-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
(male)

TravisAK HB User

Why would you want to avoid a colonoscopy? They are completely safe and routine. I have had two. You do get a little nervous until they give you the fentanyl then you could'nt care less what they do to you. They are by far the best way to see what's going on. Really nothing to worry about.... if you're nervous.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Yes, I would agree to have the c-scope before all the other testing...Crohn's happens anywhere from mouth to anus...and the ONLY way to see what's going on in the colon is to take a look.

I've had 8 done...no biggie. I watch the monitor in a nice mellow state from the meds.

Keep us posted on the outcome.
q

Old 02-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
(female)

hi everyone thanks.
Really i think the reason they've done everything else, all those CT's and all is because they've thought it's my appendix but on all the CT's the appendix was fine.
And the reason the doctor wants to avoid a colonoscopy, is im 14 years old.... i failed to mention that lol.. But froom what i've heard it's no biggie. They've already scheduled me fro my upper gi with small bowel follow through on wednesday... so we'll see how that goes lol then the doctor i guess will decide whether to do the colonoscopy.
I'll keep everyone posted

Old 02-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
(male)

TravisAK HB User

Seriously, it's no big deal. I remember how nervous i was the first time I had it done and afterward feeling a little silly. BY FAR the worst part is the prep and even that was not so terrible.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:38 PM   #8
(female)

ok thanks so much. It will most likely come down to that and i have been petrified at the thought of it... knowing me the sedatives would knock me out anyway.
I had the upper GI with SBFT today. It took like 3 hours and the barium tasted terrible!! We should get the results within the next couple days...im so anxious to find out if it showed anything!
UPDATE
they called this morning. The tests all came back normal. The general surgeon decided based on my symptoms to test my gallbladder next week. I dont have much problems with diarrhea although i have alot of the symptoms of crohn's... such as lesions on my legs, dizziness, and abdominal pain, etc... Who knows. Either way the gall bladder test isnt until NEXT week. And im in severe pain :/
update- i had the gallbladder test wednesday. It put in terrible pain because i discovered i was very tender in the spot they were pressing. so i wonder if it is my gallbladder? Either way they didnt call. i hope they do monday. i want to know whats wrong. the pain is terrible at times. i was at the ER at like 3 AM the other night.
ANOTHER UPDATE (LOL)
Well they just called about my gallbladder ultrasound. Said it was normal. Scheduled me for a HIDA scan wednesday. Scared.

Last edited by PonyLover375; 03-07-2011 at 12:05 PM. Reason: test results

Old 06-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
(female)

Re: Does Crohn's show Up on CT's

anyone who sees this:
turns out it was my appendix
for 6 months.

Closed Thread