It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
(male)

madwal HB User
And the Prognosis is, Colitis

Hey, I am 25, very active. . . recently was diagnosed with Colitis, the inflammatory type. By recently, I mean this morning.

I've had off and on stomach upsets, and bouts of constipation and diary along with some levels of pain, but thought nothing of it. But roughly two months ago there was blood every day, repeated time during the day. I have been losing weight for a while, but thought nothing of that either, due to my active lifestyle. But the blood was a red flag, I got in to see a doctor after 2 weeks of it and he did blood work and labs on stool, getting no results. He prescribed prednisone, and started on the process of ordering a colonoscopy.

The prednisone made my symptoms worse and I had an allergic reaction, and was doing as horrible as could be, until getting off it. The colonoscopy results revealed nothing at first when he looked, but the biopsies revealed colitis.

So, here's a new dilemma, meds. I had meds. All the stupid meds that I've ever been prescribed seem to make me worse. So I'm looking into alternative medicine, holistic, natural, etc. I'm planning on taking Align, Omega-3, Folic Acid and St. John's Wort. I've been researching things I can do, and these all seemed to have very positive results. I also eat pretty healthy, don't drink alcohol, quit smoking . . . so what else?

Any suggestions for natural methods?

Last edited by Administrator; 04-07-2011 at 12:03 AM.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: And the Prognosis is, Colitis

Colitis as in ulcerative colitis?

Where exactly is it...limited to where or is it throughout?

What EXACTLY are the meds the doctor has you on now?

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
(male)

madwal HB User

I do not know, yet. Presently I am not on any meds. I will be meeting with the doctor Friday to find out more.

I wasn't aware of all the different places or things it could be. So I guess after I talk with him I'll have answers.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Yes, good to know the extent of your UC. it starts at the rectum and continues upward...it can be limited from the rectum to wherever...or throughout your colon.

Make a list of questions.

I would suggest you use the 5ASA mesalamine oral and rectal meds.

q

Closed Thread