It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
(female)

missheavyweight HB User
Just Diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis

Okay so I have been having chronic bouts of runny, bloody stools for the past 5 months and ended up becoming very weak, light headed, pale and lethargic over the past 2 weeks to the point where I couldnt even walk a few steps without feeling I had run a mile.

Anyways, I was admitted into the hospital because I had a very low hemoglobin count. The doctor said I was sitting at 44 and the normal range is 116. He explained to me how dangerous my levels were and that I would need to have a blood transfusion. So I spent the night having that done and 4 bags of blood later, feeling much better with my color back, I get a colonoscopy and a scope down my throat (to look at my stomach). Turns out I have Colitis and I am so glad to know now what the cause is. I am only 24, and want to keep healthy. I have found this messageboard very helpful in the past and was wondering if anyone has any good advice.

Thanks!

Ashley

Old 04-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Just Diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis

Hi...colitis or ulcerative colitis? Did the docs do stool samples to make sure nothing else was happening such as c.difficile?

What meds are you on at this point?

It's good you went to the hospital...sounds as though you were in quite a precarious state. Were you not under a GI's care before getting to this point?

Hope each day you feel better.

q

The Following User Says Thank You to quincy For This Useful Post:
missheavyweight (04-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
(female)

missheavyweight HB User

Hey, Thanks for your response I was seeing a G.I doctor about a year ago because of blood in the stool. He did a colonoscopy and found nothing. He gave me astool softener (at the time I was constipated) and let me be on my way. Everything seemed ok but about 3 months later I started getting extremely bloody loose, stools and I let this go on for a while. I lost a lot of blood, over a long period of time. So they did the tests, urine, blood, no fecal but said when he did my colonoscopy and endoscopy he saw my colon was inflamed and now im taking iron supplementation and mesalamine for the inflammation

The following user gives a hug of support to missheavyweight:
JJ (04-14-2011)
Old 04-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

I'm really so sorry to hear what you have been through, and still going through but at least you did get an answer.

I think the only thing you can do at this point is follow your Drs. orders and also ask if there are any foods you should stay away from and any you should be getting more of.

I really feel for you as I went almost 2 years with chronic Diarrhea and had every test there is but they found nothing. Have no food allergies etc. so all they suggested was to take a Probiotic to see if it would help, as the meds. they tried on me just made me too sleepy and out of it. So far..so good. Yes I get a few flares every so often but for the most part, I'm feeling much better. Terrible to lose so much time out of your life with Drs. and meds. with no answers. Keep us posted how your doing and if any diet changes were made how it helped.

All the best...JJ....

The Following User Says Thank You to JJ For This Useful Post:
missheavyweight (04-29-2011)
Old 04-29-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
(female)

missheavyweight HB User

Thank you JJ so much for your response It is really tough and its confusing sometimes, knowing that there isn't an actually cure and that a flare up can happen at any time. I find that eating a lot of fruits and veggies helps and greasy foods make it a bit worse, mainly because they tend to pass through me so quickly. Like, I will literally eat something like chicken pad Thai and go within an hour. Its weird. I just hope that it gets to a point where I no longer notice the bloody stools - I hate seeing that and I have been on my meds for about a month (no steroids .... as of yet!) but I havent noticed a whole lot of positive changes. The Dr. says it takes time, so I guess all I can do it wait.

At least I know im not alone in all this and itll all just make me stronger

Thanks again hun

Old 04-29-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Your more then welcome. I really do feel for you as I know how frustrating and just down and out one can feel. Going through my bout I was getting ever so depressed as it seemed everytime something would come up..I many times missed it....

Like you said, all you can do is what they ask you to and take any meds. that will help. Lordy for awhile there I felt like a pill machine and nothing really helped but sure did keep me sleepy a lot. After I started the Probiotics I actually got my life back. Oh yes, I have flares, just had one over the Easter holiday..not the Easter day celebration I wanted.

Yes I had the eat something and then wait about a half hr. and off to the races. Take care sweets and I really hope you feel better.

Keep me posted, and all the best...JJ....

The following user gives a hug of support to JJ:
missheavyweight (05-04-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
(female)

missheavyweight HB User

Aw, thank you so much Its so nice to know that there's people who understand and going through this as well. A lot of people don't understand the severity of it and it truly does affect quality of life. Aw that must have been terrible But I hope you still enjoyed the day and allowed yourself to cheat a little

I know!! I feel like a pill machine right now!! I am going through another flare and I have a cold at the same time so I cant even count all the pills I am taking. It sucks and I miss the days when taking medication was only when you were sick with a cold. Now it seems it is so much more serious

Thanks again!! Take care too <3

Old 05-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well that is why I like this board so much..people here have problems even worse then me yet they never hesitate to try and help!!!

No my Easter didn't turn out well at all, even hubby wasn't feeling too swift. Oh well, thank goodness we didn't have a lot of company coming so we just made due. Oh yes...where are those days of maybe an aspirin if you had a headache, or a bit of Immodium if the tummy was upset? Isn't getting older just WONDERFUL??? Oh well, like they say, it could be worse.

Poor hubby takes so many meds. we need a special cabinet just for his. He really has been through a lot the last few years. Like we say..we can't let it get us down, just do the best we can and hope for the best.

Take care and all my best wishes...JJ...

Last edited by JJ; 05-04-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Closed Thread