It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
(female)

Jrobaby HB User
Treatment for ulcers??

My doctor suspects I have an ulcer, and the more I read about it the more I agree. I am taking Prilosec OTC for 2 weeks to see if it improves my condition, but until then does anybody have any suggestions for making my stomach feel better? What medicines can I take because Pepto says NOT to take it. Tums seems to work so far...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Treatment for ulcers??

Hi..the treatment is to first get a definitive diagnosis. Your doctor should have you checked out by a Gastro doc who does upper scopes. You also need an H.Pylori test done and to check for gastritis as well as esophageal erosion.

Where exactly is your pain? The stomach area is more general...where exactly?

How are you feeling on the prilosec?

Tums are calcium carbonate, they won't help lower the acid in your stomach to help with whatever initially. If you have reflux, acid reducing meds will help. If you have h. pylori, you need to be on antibiotics to kill that bacteria..

What other meds are you on..?

quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
(female)

Jrobaby HB User

Well my doc seemed uncertain and put me on the prilosec otc for 2 weeks to see if the condition improves on its own, if not then she will test for it. I have a variety of symptoms not just the pain. I feel bloated all the time and at night my stomach and chest burn like I ate too much or something even if I didn't. I also often find myself feeling full even when I KNOW I'm not, or the opposite and feel hungry even though I know I'm full. I feel nauseous on and off and I drank a beer yesterday and it caused me an immense amount of pain. I'm going to call my doc on monday to tell her I think we should test sooner since it's not getting better on the prilosec...

Old 04-24-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I agree with Quincy. You will need an Endoscopy to check for H' Pylori. I have all your symptoms. Two years ago an Endoscopy/Biopsy revealed I had H. Pylori. Treatment is with Antibiotics and PPIs.
I was also found to have Diverticulitis and Hiatal Hernia. All these things are connected with the Digestive System.
Endoscopy/Colonoscopy is nothing to fear, Ive had five of them and its worth knowing what is going on inside.
Get it checked out and I wish you well. Let us know how things go. Solofelix.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
(female)

Jrobaby HB User

So they cant see it with an X-ray or something? They have to put the camera.. up in and look around? Is it terribly uncomfortable or do they give you meds while they do it? Ya I am definitely going to call my doctor tomorrow and say I don't want to wait 2 weeks because I am too miserable at this point.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi, If you have to have an Endoscopy or Colonoscopy, you will be sedated.
It is nothing to fear I have had five of them. Here in Ireland I was not told about the drug they use. I was given an IVI in my hand and that's about all I remember until I came round. I believe it doesn't take long to do. Afterwards I left the Hospital, went home and ate a good Dinner (I was starving), No after effects, just a tiny sore throat for a short time. Ive also had both ends done at the one time. Solofelix.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
(female)

Jrobaby HB User

Okay thanks for the tips! Did you have ulcers too? What were your symptoms and what was the treatment to heal it? Im trying to figure out what foods and drinks to avoid.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:29 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

It was thought I'd had an ulcer as I woke one morning with blood all over the pillow and in my mouth. An Endoscopy revealed a sore area where it had been. I also had a biopsy taken that revealed H.Pylori (which is known to cause ulcers). I was prescribed large dose of Antibiotics and PPIs. Further investigation revealed small Hiatal Hernia and Diverticulitis (no surgery required). PPIs are to relieve too much acid in the stomach. I decided not to take them after one week because of side effects.(my own decision).
At present I have eliminated Acid forming foods and taking Aloe Vera Juice and OTC Gaviscon. I go back to the Hospital in two months time for check up. Solofelix.

Closed Thread